Which rivers are good for swimming on a sunny day?

Inland paddling
John Saunders

Re: Which rivers are good for swimming on a sunny day?

Post by John Saunders » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:23 pm

NOT the upper reach of the River Kennet between Marlborough and Hungerford for the time being; see http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 1&t=103843

Mike M

Re:

Post by Mike M » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:19 am

"The River Lune, Kirby Lonsdale. A great bridge jump not for the faint hearted at around 60 foot."

Don't think the death to jumping ratio favourable at Devils Bridge Kirkby Lonsdale !! Averages a couple of deaths a year due to not having a uniform depth.Even thinking about it WILL probably get you arrested on the spot, Police patrol regularly due to the high number of fatalities.
Born to paddle................forced to work.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:39 am

Loads of pool areas on the Irfon in Wales.

Wildswimmer Pete

Re: Re:

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Mike M wrote:"The River Lune, Kirby Lonsdale. A great bridge jump not for the faint hearted at around 60 foot."
Believe it or not, jumping from bridges or other structures is illegal (at least in England and Wales)
Mike M wrote:Don't think the death to jumping ratio favourable at Devils Bridge Kirkby Lonsdale !! Averages a couple of deaths a year due to not having a uniform depth.
The bridge is a well-known spot for bikers (I'm a biker myself, or was until my stroke resulted in permanent loss of licence) Bikers are renowned for jumping from the 60ft high bridge. There's just one spot deep enough to ensure a reasonable chance of landing intact - otherwise you could slam into the rocks. Sadly, alcohol is a major factor.
Mike M wrote:Even thinking about it WILL probably get you arrested on the spot, Police patrol regularly due to the high number of fatalities.
There's no restriction on swimmers, just those who want to jump from the bridge. I have actually swam in the river downstream from the bridge, but upstream you encounter a stiff current under the bridge that could drag you along the rocks. If I wanted tried to try swimming under that bridge I would have used my harness and line - best of all, don't bother.

Wildswimmer Pete
Nili illegitimi carborundum

furby

Post by furby » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:18 pm

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Did a massive jump off a bridge (not that one) into the Avon yesterday, it was the bomb!

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:40 am

morsey wrote:Did a massive jump off a bridge (not that one) into the Avon yesterday, it was the bomb!
Any pics?

Wildswimmer Pete

Karnalipaddler

Post by Karnalipaddler » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Went to fell foot park at south end of windermere yesterday, had a kayak and a swim in lake and point where it becomes river Leven, was a fantastic day!

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 am

Wildswimmer Pete wrote:
morsey wrote:Did a massive jump off a bridge (not that one) into the Avon yesterday, it was the bomb!
Any pics?

Wildswimmer Pete
so, I'm guessing not this one then :-)

Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:20 am

Near me, The Windrush at Minster Lovell, river runs a bit more quickly than the pic in the link would indicate.
http://www.wildswimming.co.uk/map/minst ... -windrush/
Nick Mawer

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Sorry, no where near Scotland:

We gorge walked the Mellte a couple of weeks ago. Loads of swimming spots and jumping in ledges on it, but you really need to know which bits are deep enough and which are not. If you just wanted a cool swim and jump without the gorge walking then you could park at Dinas Rock and walk up Coed-Y-Rhaidyr road to the weir at the gun powder mill. Very popular at weekends with stag parties though.

Also, I know of an excellent swimming spot in Whiddon wood on the Teign just above a weir. It's about 500m downstream of the A382. I seem to remember there being a low diving board there.

And then there is our local one at Farleigh Hungerford, which I'm sure Pete will know of.
Martin

Strad

Post by Strad » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:47 pm

mharrall wrote:Sorry, no where near Scotland:

We gorge walked the Mellte a couple of weeks ago. Loads of swimming spots and jumping in ledges on it, but you really need to know which bits are deep enough and which are not. If you just wanted a cool swim and jump without the gorge walking then you could park at Dinas Rock and walk up Coed-Y-Rhaidyr road to the weir at the gun powder mill. Very popular at weekends with stag parties though.

Also, I know of an excellent swimming spot in Whiddon wood on the Teign just above a weir. It's about 500m downstream of the A382. I seem to remember there being a low diving board there.

And then there is our local one at Farleigh Hungerford, which I'm sure Pete will know of.
The Farleigh Hungerford spot always looks lovely when I go past, the castle is worth a quick visit too.

I'm waiting for some suggestions near Swindon that I could get to in a lunchtime, the Cotswold Water Park is just a little too far through the traffic to be viable in an hour break...
Graham Stradling

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:49 pm

I have a similar need for a lunch time swimming spot in Basingstoke, the canals are just a bit too far. I might check out the Lodon near Bartons mill if this awful weather keeps up much longer.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Strad wrote:

The Farleigh Hungerford spot always looks lovely when I go past, the castle is worth a quick visit too.

I'm waiting for some suggestions near Swindon that I could get to in a lunchtime, the Cotswold Water Park is just a little too far through the traffic to be viable in an hour break...
Can you swim in Coate water? Or is it not allowed?
Martin

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:19 pm

mharrall wrote: And then there is our local one at Farleigh Hungerford, which I'm sure Pete will know of.
Certainly do.
Rob Fryer, together with Yacov Lev founded RALSA. Details of the swimming club:
http://www.wild-swimming.com/farleigh.html
but beware, Rob will sell you a day ticket. The club is responsible for maintenance, while they are trying to raise enough money to repair their weir. The club holds the fishing rights so problems with access.

The only other river swimming club to my knowledge is the Newnham Riverbank Club on the Cam in Cambridge.

Wildswimmer Pete

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Wildswimmer Pete wrote:The only other river swimming club to my knowledge is the Newnham Riverbank Club on the Cam in Cambridge.

Wildswimmer Pete
Kayaked past there on Sunday. There are an awful lot of older men who swim there, naked of course, who like young ladies punting past to see everything they have :'(

The Cam has also got really weedy in the last month, up to a few inches below the water level. Horrid to swim in!
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Strad

Post by Strad » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:18 pm

mharrall wrote:
Strad wrote:

Can you swim in Coate water? Or is it not allowed?
My understanding is that it's not allowed, but I have wondered about driving up there and taking a look. Someone I worked with reckoned the lake water looks pretty grim, as do the diving boards due to the large bird population there. Guess I need to get off my backside and take a look.
Graham Stradling

Easle100

Post by Easle100 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:18 pm

A good river spot for swimming and general messing around in low water is the Campsie Linn on the Tay near Perth. Here is a vid of us doing just that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG4OsxFSXmo

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Wildswimmer Pete wrote: The club holds the fishing rights so problems with access.
Oops - that should read "The club holds the fishing rights so no problems with access"

That's what happens when I'm tired and overheated.

Wildswimmer Pete

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:45 am

I went for a very pleasant swim in the River Tees at Gainford yesterday. The deepest part I found must have been about 12-15ft, but shallower depths are available.

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 pm

"Rob believes in campaigning, which may mean telling uncomfortable truths. Perhaps as a result some people (fishermen?) want this book banned! A bookshop has received requests not to stock it!"

Speaks volumes :-(

Full page: http://www.wild-swimming.com/
and yes, I do have a copy :-)

Wildswimmer Pete