Flying down The Llyn Briane spillway.

Inland paddling
mike@cap

Flying down The Llyn Briane spillway.

Post by mike@cap »

We were up in South Wales at the weekend paddling some gentle Grade 2 and 3 stuff on the Tywi and generally having a good time.
Whilst there however, we noticed some maniacs flying down the Llynn Briane Dam Spillway, so we grabbed our video camera, and this is the result.
Not sure who the culprits were ...... but they cetainly seemed to be enjoying themselves !

Mike
Croydon Active Paddlers

mike@cap

Post by mike@cap »

Would help if I gave the YOU TUBE link

Strad

Post by Strad »

whoever the culprits are they're reaching a good lick by the bottom, good vid and I bet they did enjoy themselves.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

fatty

Post by fatty »

They did ;-)

Top tip, short boats fast, big boats slow, lean forward to increase speed.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

Outrageous behaviour.
What were you crazy fools thinking of..... ;-)
Giles

Strad

Post by Strad »

fatty wrote:They did ;-)

Top tip, short boats fast, big boats slow, lean forward to increase speed.
struck me that this was definitely a thumbs up for planing versus displacement hulls ;)
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

How much plastic did they shave off running down that it didnt look like a huge amount of water going down it. However man what a speed some of the got big air at the bottom!

Slime

Post by Slime »

Huge buzz - for ten years or so all the top boaters in NZ used to slide down a similar but much smaller dam slipway - did the same myself - great buzz!

Then in 1990 a little piece of steel rebar, that had remained unseen, trapped a boat half way down the slipway. Our mate died in front of us, trapped by the force of the water, without anyone being able to reach him.

A thousand to one? I guess with any man made structure you must expect the unexpected.

Your choice, your life, may the luck be with you.

Pete Knowles.

fatty

Post by fatty »

Slime,

Sorry to hear that harrowing story, horriable thing to witness.

I was amazed at how liitle plastic was shaved of. Hear all these stories of boats being battered but not a single one of the boats had any gauges, major scratches or anything. Infact the dam seemed to give them a bit of a wash, and looked newer once they reached the bottom.

iainporter

Post by iainporter »

fatty wrote:...looked newer once they reached the bottom.
Because the old dirty plastic that you were used to seeing had been scraped off leaving nice clean shiny new plastic underneath... ;-)

Poke

Post by Poke »

fatty wrote:...looked newer once they reached the bottom.
On the kayakstan expedition we dragged our boats behind horses for ~10km on a walk-out. At the start of the walk a few of our boats had some nice scratches in them. At the end of the walkout, there were no deep gouges in any of our boats... the remainder of the hull had been shaved down to the depth of the gouges.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

Ah yes, that being dragged by horses did wonders for those boats, most of them went on to have some cracking paddles afterwards...

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes »

I think there was a bit more water on the spillway and it certainly didn't feel like the boat was touching the concrete. Same can't be said for my paddles though :( they look like they've been nibbled!

chicklechives

Post by chicklechives »

Lunatic fringe

Diamond Dave

Post by Diamond Dave »

skip wrote:Ah yes, that being dragged by horses did wonders for those boats, most of them went on to have some cracking paddles afterwards...
Ooooo! Poor Dave, poor!
Dave Burne
Full Facers - the way forward!
http://www.fourbordersexpedition.com

lou

Post by lou »

That really does look like good fun, and it doesn't look too hard to stay upright.
With all the publicity the spillway has had on here lately, do you think a few more thrill-seekers might be tempted to try it?
Mmmmmm..........so irresponsible ;-)

Epona

Post by Epona »

Well, I think this is irresponsible. Especially those people who sat at the bottom of the spillway filming the event. They should be ashamed of themselves, egging these poor misguided thrill seekers on. Tut.

Rhys Davies

Post by Rhys Davies »

It does look awesome thougth.

I still dont want to imagine what it would be like to slide down upside down.

Ouch!
I can't think of anything clever to say.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Rhys Davies wrote:I still dont want to imagine what it would be like to slide down upside down.
Quite Literally Lethal!
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

morsey

Post by morsey »

I thought this thread was going to be about paragliding! The ridge to the West of the Upper Tawe and the Northside of Llyn Brianne are both areas that friends have flown just to see if it is worth going for a paddle. I am now going to mention to them that flying down the spillway would be a pretty good Challenge! The Second bridge would most likely prove a bit tricky I reckon but the photos/video would be cool as.

BenMarshall

Post by BenMarshall »

sorry about bringing the thread back from the dead.

Im trying to plan a trip to go skate down the dam (on a freebord so its not as much of a deathwish as it seems).

Does anybody know how much rain there needs to be for the water to start flowing and how long it normally lasts?

thanks!

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes »

The water is an overflow from a dam. The dam needs to be full for there to be water on the spillway, so it generally flows in winter due to wet weather. I expect it is dry all summer.

Wouldn't fancy skating down it myself...likely to result in a collision with the sill at the bottam at best.

Jules

Post by Jules »

BenMarshall wrote:Im trying to plan a trip to go skate down the dam (on a freebord so its not as much of a deathwish as it seems).
Yes it is!

Jules

Twix

Post by Twix »

Have you looked at the video, watch them as they get to the bottom. I don't see how you could possibly land at the bottom on a board without killing yourself. Sitting in a kayak gives you buoyancy and spreads the force out in a very different way.

Poke

Post by Poke »

Twix wrote:Have you looked at the video, watch them as they get to the bottom. I don't see how you could possibly land at the bottom on a board without killing yourself. Sitting in a kayak gives you buoyancy and spreads the force out in a very different way.
That was my initial thought too, but if you google "Freebord" then apparantly you can slide it, much like a snowboard, giving you control over your speed.

You're right though - if you were to just straight-line down this thing and hit the static water at the bottom, something would break, and it probably wouldn't be the surface tension.
Does anybody know how much rain there needs to be for the water to start flowing and how long it normally lasts?
To clarify... do you want water running down there to be able to skate down, or do you want it dry?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Do you nominate people for Darwin Awards after the event, or can they apply themselves before?

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

This has been done on mountain bikes and there are urban myths of people sliding down sitting on metal trays....I imagine that's a tad exaggerated though!

morsey

Post by morsey »

It is not all that steep, just the concrete is not that smooth.

aleeivel

Post by aleeivel »

Always difficult to judge steepness in photos, but it doesnt seem beyond the stretch of imagination to MB it. Tin trays now not so sure about that idea... I'm sure the sparks would look good at night, well until it goes through the tin onto your arse, ouch...
Andy Lee
www.thecanoeclub.com

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
-----------
With democracy, it's your vote that counts; with feudalism - it's your Count that votes.....

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler »

Ben Behave before I tell your Dad to ground you!

Concrete rash is not pretty or pleasant - I know I got a few grazes off the summer Luge by Briancon!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”