Five ten canyoneer alternatives?

Inland paddling
Dave T

Five ten canyoneer alternatives?

Post by Dave T »

Im looking for some new creeking boots for Norway. I have some old Tevas which i generally use but I also have some canyoneers, they are great but my feet sit at a strange angle in the boat due to having size 12 feet. Anyone got any suggestions for good creeking boots? I want some good quality boots with a decent thick sole but not quite as stiff as the canyoneers.

So far i have considered the Keen hood river boot which I haven't seen yet and the Teva creeking boot but im not convinced about the sole as they don't look like they would have very good grip, anybody tried these? Approach shoes aren't really an option either, I've tried sitting in my boat with some Salomon shoes on and they are a bit too bulky.

Cheers.

Tea Boy Tom

Post by Tea Boy Tom »

If you're after a boot, have a look at the NRS Workboots. I use a set of these for rescue and rafting work and I'm pretty impressed with their performance. The sole is nice and thick, although not quite as sticky as the 5.10s. They are more flexible than the Canyoneers, however and they are warmer, on account of the neoprene liner.

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb »

Avoid these at all costs! http://www.merrell.co.uk/en-GB/Shop/Pro ... 5405&GST=M
Although the soles are good the rest falls to pieces in a few paddling sessions!

Also the gravel/sand gets in side and they provide no warmth!

Gupster

Post by Gupster »

Tea Boy Tom wrote:If you're after a boot, have a look at the NRS Workboots.
I hadn't heard of these before.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2338

They do look like some real bad ass boots! I don't think I'd fit in my car with them on let alone my boat. Navy SEALs seem to dig them though.

P.S.
Tom - do you feel like a stormtrooper with them on?

MattBibbings

Post by MattBibbings »

I got some Lomo Aqua bootsas a stop-gap solution when my Artsistic Canyon sessions fell to bits prematurely (avoid the artistic boots is my advice. They are pretty poorly put together)

I must say, despite the Lomos being a stop-gap solution whilst I looked for betetr boots, they have been a far better than I first thought they might be. And for the price, you can't go too far wrong. I had reservations about them 'rolling' on my foot when I stand on steep ground (if you get what I mean) and that the sole wouldn't be grippy enough on loose ground, but I have had no such problems. I have used them for river running, creeking, open boating and gorge walking and find them just dandy.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I'll second the NRS boots, I'm saving up for a pair of my very own (Damn Demo footwear being so good). They feel more or less exactly like a normal boot, apart from being made of neoprene.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

Kayacb wrote:Avoid these at all costs! http://www.merrell.co.uk/en-GB/Shop/Pro ... 5405&GST=M
Although the soles are good the rest falls to pieces in a few paddling sessions!

I would not agree, I know at least 5 people who have had these over two seasons and they are still as good as new.

They are not designed to keep your feet dry or warm, you need socks, they are designed to dry quickly.

I do agree that they allow more sand in than standard boots - you just need to wash them out more often.

El Pres

Post by El Pres »

If you're after a boot, have a look at the NRS Workboots.
I got some from NRS in the states cost worked out at £56 delivered came in 3 days

Noj

Post by Noj »

Chas C wrote:
Kayacb wrote:Avoid these at all costs! http://www.merrell.co.uk/en-GB/Shop/Pro ... 5405&GST=M

I would not agree, I know at least 5 people who have had these over two seasons and they are still as good as new.

They are not designed to keep your feet dry or warm, you need socks, they are designed to dry quickly.

I do agree that they allow more sand in than standard boots - you just need to wash them out more often.
There seems to be a mixed reaction to these shoes. I've got a pair but they had fallen apart after one season of use. Same happened to a friend of mine who bought them as well.

Jack Butcher

Post by Jack Butcher »

Check out the new Teva Arenals, advert on the back of the spring issue of Kayak Session. A shoe not a boot, but they've got all the protection you need. You might find that with this less bulky design that you are more comfy in your boat? I always keep my footwear down to a minimum to try and keep the sleepy feet at bay.
Last edited by Jack Butcher on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Activities Away

Post by Activities Away »

Another vote for the NRS work boot, I bought a pair and they are great.

So good in fact we decided to use them for all our staff as uniform!

I initially thought I might have some issues witht he size of the sole in my Ammo, but no problem they fit fine and are fantastic for portages giving good grip, ankle support and keeping your feet warm all in one go!

The only issue I have is the difficulty of putting them on over neo booties on my dry suit, can be done but not easy, got better when I started wearing an old pair of socks over the booties.

They are available from all over but I got mine from Morton Boats in Lincoln who stocks them for the fire service.
BCU and RYA courses
www.activities-away.com

Chris Putt

Wetsuit Boots

Post by Chris Putt »

Having Had a set of Teva Gamma pro, I wouldnt touch teva boots again, Not all that grippy, not all theat comfortable, poorly made (mine fell apart after one season) and let loads of sand in.
The bits the laces go through all snapped, the plastic bit in the back of the heel made its way through the material, cutting up the back of my heel and then proceeded to snap, leaving sharp bits protruding, the soles cracked up when I was in OZ. All in all shocking.

The merrell river shoes are pretty awful too, a number of guides at a centre that I was working at had some, most of them were returned, after the soles coming astray of the upper.

Chris
'Too close for missiles, I'm switching to Guns'

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

Noj wrote:
Chas C wrote:

There seems to be a mixed reaction to these shoes. I've got a pair but they had fallen apart after one season of use. Same happened to a friend of mine who bought them as well.
Seems so - suppose it depends upon how long you expect them to last and how much they get used, together with how well they are looked after (i.e rinsed and dried after every use etc etc). I'd expect the users I've quoted have looked after them. I would only expect river shoes to last no more then 18 months.

John Kennedy

Re: Wetsuit Boots

Post by John Kennedy »

Chris Putt wrote:Having Had a set of Teva Gamma pro, I wouldnt touch teva boots again, Not all that grippy, not all theat comfortable, poorly made (mine fell apart after one season) and let loads of sand in.
The bits the laces go through all snapped, the plastic bit in the back of the heel made its way through the material, cutting up the back of my heel and then proceeded to snap, leaving sharp bits protruding, the soles cracked up when I was in OZ. All in all shocking.

The merrell river shoes are pretty awful too, a number of guides at a centre that I was working at had some, most of them were returned, after the soles coming astray of the upper.

Chris
I'll second everything you said there, the Gammas are just a terrible shoe. Terrible. After them I was wary of buyign Teva again, but I made a sound decision in getting a pair of their Dozer sandals. THey've a covered toe, a great sole, and abundant water drainiage that you'd expect from a sandal.
And just neo socks underneath. Perfecto.
I beat the internet! (The last guy was hard)

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb »

Chas C wrote:

My comments about warm were not because I felt that they had failed in this department but because Tom in his post above had mentioned that the NSR boots do, I never said any thing about dry as obviously if they let in gravel surely water would have no problem getting in.

Mine have not seen one season yet and the soles are coming away where it joins the upper and the tension strap has worn through against the small plastic O rings which hold it in place and the leather type material is delaminating. This is also true of the pairs bought by several friends whilst on a Grand Canyon trip last year. however the VIBRAM soles are wonderful! They just need to be attached to a better upper!

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes »

Noj wrote:
Chas C wrote:

I bought a pair of these for my trip to India. After 11 days on the river, the stitching around the toe area had broken and they were starting to come apart. Exchanged them this weekend - let's see if these fair any better. They do have a good grip though.

james_trigg

Post by james_trigg »

We have just had a large delivery of Five Ten Canyoneer`s. Weve got good stock of sizes 7 to 11 uk sizing.

http://www.upandunder.co.uk/eshop/catal ... ion_ID=101

Best Wishes

James

mcneilljamie

Post by mcneilljamie »

Activities Away wrote:Another vote for the NRS work boot, I bought a pair and they are great.

So good in fact we decided to use them for all our staff as uniform!

I initially thought I might have some issues witht he size of the sole in my Ammo, but no problem they fit fine and are fantastic for portages giving good grip, ankle support and keeping your feet warm all in one go!

The only issue I have is the difficulty of putting them on over neo booties on my dry suit, can be done but not easy, got better when I started wearing an old pair of socks over the booties.

They are available from all over but I got mine from Morton Boats in Lincoln who stocks them for the fire service.
Cheers for the heads up. I have just ordered a pair. Great stuff.

Thanks

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks »

I'd wait a while and get one of these. The Creek Boot (left) is really sticky!

mcneilljamie

Post by mcneilljamie »

Just incase anyone is still interested,

I got a pair of the NSR river boots and I like them. Despite a few jokes at the size of them from my fellow paddlers they are comfortable, warm and very grippy. Even the rocks around serpents tail on the dee felt very sure underfoot.

Overall I am very happy. Although I wish I'd gone for a size smaller.

They have received a thumbs up from me.

J

Ruari

Post by Ruari »

dose anyone in the uk stock the NRS boots then? they look quite tasty!

meatballs

Post by meatballs »

Picked a pair up in TK Maxx for £18. Great but go a size larger to fit in drysuit latex socks + thick pair of socks!

Went up to see if I could grab the larger size found them again at £8, albeit in a rather bling colourscheme.

They are Sebago Wavesport Extreme - from some sailing company. Seems grippy enough and I dont feel the ground through the sole.
Last edited by meatballs on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben

Dug

Post by Dug »

NRS boots are pretty good, my mate bought a set when we were out working in France. They're not quite as solid as the 5 10 boots but are a lot less bulky, they are def a lot better than the new palm boot range thats for sure!

Doug

mcneilljamie

Post by mcneilljamie »

Ruari wrote:dose anyone in the uk stock the NRS boots then? they look quite tasty!
Read the entire thread and you will discover a UK supplier!!!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”