Do you open your eyes underwater?

Inland paddling
chud

Do you open your eyes underwater?

Post by chud » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:58 pm

Ive never really liked doing it but Im starting to get scared of holes because I dont know which way round I am and whether Ive washed out or not. Does anyone keep their eyes open underwater? Does it help or is it all just white?

Cheers
Rich

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:02 pm

The smart arse answer would be to say try it and find out, But I woundt do such a thing,

My eyes are shut I have never thought of opening them and I realy dought you would see anything its all a matter of feel and just knowing where you are

cookie

Post by cookie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:09 pm

I used to be able to open my eyes under water as a nipper but no way now. Also worried about getting debris in them so they stay firmly shut. You should be able to feel which way round you are and have a rough idea about your location too.
Lee
The lights are on and burning brightly. Shame about the power cut.

gonzo

Post by gonzo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:37 pm

I can normally sense the raging white water rushing past my head when I mess up so keep the eyes firmly shut!!

RVabdn

Post by RVabdn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:49 pm

I open my eyes. It used to be useful as I could see if there were boats around for a t-rescue. Nowadays I look to make sure my paddles are set up for the roll. I've been in holes where everything is bright but it depends on the light. It's different in a gorge.
Richard Veitch

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:54 pm

The sight of shafts of sunlight penetrating the murky depths to make the glitter twinkle, as below you the darkness looms, offering no clue as to what lies beneath takes a lot of beating. So yes, I have my eyes open. Unless it's salty.

Gupster

Post by Gupster » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:07 am

Eyes open

Mouth shut.

Or is that the other way around?

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:12 am

I think my eyes stay shut so long as I am in the boat, but I have opened them when swimming.

One instance was a swim on the Serpents Tail a few years ago. I must have been pushed down quite a way, and I remember being surrounded by bubbles and a green light that got steadily brighter until I broke the surface. Quite beautiful.

Another time was when I found myself deep in an undercut, and I had to use my eyes to find the way out. That was just scary.

Dave @ TRC

Post by Dave @ TRC » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:37 am

Under water. I ve got my eyes shut all the way down the river exept on the flat bits.

Dave
Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

WWW.THERIVERCREW.CO.UK

bexception

Post by bexception » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:00 am

Me: " Do you keep your eyes open underwater?"
Boyfriend: "Yes."
Me: "Why?
Boyfriend: "So I can see if I'm going to hit any rocks or anything."
Me: "What would you do if you could see you were heading straight for a rock?"
Boyfriend: "I'd close my eyes."

Grumpy old man

Post by Grumpy old man » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:10 am

Hi
I keep my eyes open but I suffer really badly with sinus problems and puffy/ blurred eyesight for days after a good play session. Its not so bad if I'm river running because I don't spend as much time upside down.
Oh, I do wear nose clips.
I think it would be very difficult to close my eyes because I tend to flip really fast when I'm playboating.

Grumpy
Paddle well, Have fun.

Lloyd Allin

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:31 am

I keep mine open - surf and sand can be an issue but at least I know the way up!

banzer

Post by banzer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:40 am

Yes. It's good to 'feel' your way to the surface, but why not double the senses and see your way there as well.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:41 am

I tend to keep them open, simply because it doesn't occur to close them, I rarely have to use the feedback I receive from my eyes, just roll up and blow the water out of my nose with a loud snort.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:51 am

No. Never. Just can't do it.

Strad

Post by Strad » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:27 am

I tend to close them when initially getting trashed then open them when things feel a bit calmer. It also depends on the water quality - so on the nottingham ditch I close everything I possibley can mouth, eyes, and if I could nostrils, and ears too.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

NPearce

Post by NPearce » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:17 am

Strad wrote:I tend to close them when initially getting trashed then open them when things feel a bit calmer. It also depends on the water quality - so on the nottingham ditch I close everything I possibley can mouth, eyes, and if I could nostrils, and ears too.
I would say I agree with this, I am happy with my eyes open underwater but dont like them being 'splashed', so for the initial dropping into the hole / capsize I usually have them closed and then open them once submerged. Very similar to diving into a swimming pool. Closed to protect upon entry, open when underwater.

Nathan

cardiffkayaker

Post by cardiffkayaker » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:39 am

most definately open, dont know why it doesnt occur to me to shut them but i seem to remember them always being open

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:53 am

Well since so many say they have their open I must re check my self what way I have they I allways asumed they where closed now I am doughting myself on it

Ed Lefley

Post by Ed Lefley » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:56 am

Eyes open... you can see the rocks on the river bed that way!!!

Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:03 pm

This has answered a question I've had for a long time.

My old deck had a nice, flourescent yellow strap on it - but I got tired of sinking slowly IYSWIM.

Bought a new deck, but this has a black strap. Thought "how silly".

I have fond memories of spotting that nice yellow strap whilst confused, upside down, underwater. "Soon, now, I will be able to breathe."

But I guess if you've got your eyes shut the colour makes no difference.

Safety wise, I suggest getting used to opening your eyes underwater. It's nastiest in the pool because of the chlorine ( though I can't speak for dirty rivers, 'cos I don't paddle in them ).

SarahB

Post by SarahB » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:33 pm

I learnt to roll with looking where to place my paddle, so I always open my eyes underwater now, even in the sea or chlorine. Haven't found it helps that much on rivers as you can't see that clearly, but it has never occured to me to shut my eyes.

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:44 pm

Eyes are generally shut - I know which way round I am (dunno how) and just kinda feel my way up.

Exception to the rule is when squirting. Eyes open everytime - easier to balance the boat and it means I can see where the back current meets the main seem in th emagic round about and prepare myself for a whole new out of breath experiance!

Not much help really!

Chris

Pete the kayaker

Post by Pete the kayaker » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:57 pm

I once went deep, deep into the Sharrah pool, eyes wide open - it was exceptionally beautiful!
*Fringe Extremist*

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Eyes open in the brine, surf and the fresh so i can see the surface, paddle etc. Still wear a noseclip all the time though, a habit I'm going to try and break tho....
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

Wease

Post by Wease » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:24 pm

I can't open my eyes underwater, never have been able to. If I'm getting trashed in a hole I wait in a 'ready to roll' position for a few seconds, then either roll up if I can feel that I have flushed out, or swim if I don't flush.

chriscw

Open normally.

Post by chriscw » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:17 pm

Normally I keep my eyes open under water, there is of course a severe limit to how much you can see due to the fact our eyes are not designed to work when immersed. I do practice from time to time with eyes closed though as I think it is important to be able to both roll and bail without being able to see. I do sometimes find that my eyes hurt after doing a lot of rolling etc, I presume due to something in the river at the time causing irritation.

I once had an incident where a young lad I was taking down a simple river with his dad and others could not bail after a capsize because he relied on being able to see the release handle on his deck. Not a problem we were with him and had him upright in less than 30 seconds, however it did scare him a little. I now make a point of getting my students to do capsize practice with their eyes closed or even with a blindfold to make sure this never happens again.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:59 pm

Eyes open for me. Its the only way to see where you are, how deep you are and which way is up.

ChrisMac

cookie

Post by cookie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 pm

I am rather worried about some of the posts here that some people only know which way is up by looking. Do you not get a hint by the fact that you are hanging upside down and rather wet to know that you aint the right way up ;-)
Lee
The lights are on and burning brightly. Shame about the power cut.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:23 pm

cookie wrote:I am rather wooried about some of the posts here that some people only know which way is up by looking. Do you not get a hint by the fact that you are hanging upside down and rather wet to know that you aint the right way up ;-)
The first time you hit a full loop in a squirt boat (underwater barrel roll) it is very strange. You've pretty much just done a back deck roll, but are still wet and unable to breath. Sweet.

Being underwater - http://davidfairweather.wordpress.com/2 ... /the-fear/