Getting weighed

Inland paddling
Mark R

Getting weighed

Post by Mark R » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:45 pm

Don't want to get stiffed for 400 quid excess baggage, like my last India paddling trip.

How do I accurately weigh my boat and gear? I don't trust normal bathroom scales for this job ...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Take it to your nearest parcelforce depot....?

buck197

Post by buck197 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:03 pm

It may seem daft but a couple of years ago I bought a set of Angling scales which I weigh baggage before departing. They cost £30 but I guess they have saved me a couple of hundred pounds in excess baggage costs. It helps me decide what to take and what not too.

Bathroom scales would do the job for the boat and then pile everything you are taking inside before packing.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Chas C

Re: Getting weighed

Post by Chas C » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:04 pm

Mark R wrote:Don't want to get stiffed for 400 quid excess baggage, like my last India paddling trip.

How do I accurately weigh my boat and gear? I don't trust normal bathroom scales for this job ...
My bathroom digi scales indicate 29kg for my loaded boat - just within the allowance.

Need to strengthen my back to support my light weight extra back pack :-)

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:15 pm

I had to buy new bathroom scales as the old ones were a bit dodgy. Best idea is to step on holding the bag/boat rather than trying to balance it on - note that if your combined weight is going to be close to the limit of the scales you may need to get someone else to do it for you, or is it just me that is in danger of that?

Jim

ol

Post by ol » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Chas C wrote: My bathroom digi scales indicate 29kg for my loaded boat - just within the allowance.
Wow! Don't know how you managed that. Mine is coming in (On dodgy old bathroom scales balanced on end....) at pretty much the 32kgs that I am allowed, thats before I stick my helmet in too and with my thermals and a s/s drytop removed. Don't know how its happening.

I was thinking of turning up to the local tip in a van with all the kit and informing the staff that I wish to throw all this perfectly good equipment out, presumably then I would get weighed on the weighbridge, I could then drive in, put all the kit to one side, get re-weighed and find out what weight has been lost, and then politely explain I have changed my mind....
Hmmm, could work but a little 'involved'...

I think the fish scales idea is workable. Now, where to find some friendly fisherfolk willing to assist a kayaker........... ;-)

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm

I understand why you don't want to trust bathroom scales; they are not usually very accurate. If you can get something of know weight, and about the the same as the gear, use it to calibrate your bathroom scales.

For example, I stand on my scales and they read 75kg. I pick up a 30kg barbell and they read 107kg, instead of the expected 105kg. So the scale are 2kg over in 30kg. I pick up my boat and gear and the scales read 109kg - so the error is just over 2kg and they weigh just over 32kg.

Chris

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:43 am

Hi Mark,

I'm assuming you're still teaching.......?

Might there be some thing useful lurking around in a science lab you could borrow to weigh your kit with?

ERU

Post by ERU » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:40 am

Find a vehicle weigh bridge? That's what I do to measure my van and it's contents :)
The best boater on the water is the one with the biggest smile

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:54 am

Vehicle weighbridges measure in 20kg increments ,ie have an accuracy of plus or minus 20kg (at least all the ones I have worked on do) This doesn't make much difference to a 30 tonne plus lorry(which is what they are designed for after all) but will make quite a lot of difference to weighing a kayak!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:21 am

Chris Bolton wrote:I understand why you don't want to trust bathroom scales; they are not usually very accurate.
Hear, hear. My bathroom scales consistently overestimate my weight by a considerable margin.

Scuba Dave

Post by Scuba Dave » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:14 am

ol wrote: at pretty much the 32kgs that I am allowed, thats before I stick my helmet in too and with my thermals and a s/s drytop removed
Virgin Atlantic wrote:Passengers can take one piece of sporting equipment free of charge, in addition to their free baggage allowance. The sporting equipment can weigh no more than 32kg.
You still have 23kg of allowance for annother bag.

little tim

Post by little tim » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:14 pm

This does up to 22kg, which if weighed separately might be enough?

ol

Post by ol » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:19 pm

Scuba Dave wrote:
ol wrote: at pretty much the 32kgs that I am allowed, thats before I stick my helmet in too and with my thermals and a s/s drytop removed
Virgin Atlantic wrote:Passengers can take one piece of sporting equipment free of charge, in addition to their free baggage allowance. The sporting equipment can weigh no more than 32kg.
You still have 23kg of allowance for another bag.
Yeah, I guess so, but I thought how lovely it would be with just a cabin bag and a boat, I don't want to be the one who packs like Imelda Markos....

I am thinking my two paddles will count as part of another hold-bag as they can't really be strapped to the boat without bending issues, so I guess its a case of strapping some more kit from the boat to them....

The Drowned Fish

Post by The Drowned Fish » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:12 pm

Yeah, I guess so, but I thought how lovely it would be with just a cabin bag and a boat, I don't want to be the one who packs like Imelda Markos....
Don't worry that'll be me
I am thinking my two paddles will count as part of another hold-bag as they can't really be strapped to the boat without bending issues, so I guess its a case of strapping some more kit from the boat to them....
Chuck them in my paddle bag, or either of the Dave's.

Cheers
Simon

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Are you sure it is 32kg to India?

nichburton

Post by nichburton » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:45 pm

Angling scales have worked for me over the last year for a few bike trips. I'm moving to Canada at the weekend, so I'll be putting them to a lot more use!

I got these for £8 and they weigh up to 40Kg. I've found that the check-in measurement has typically been 0.5-1kg heavier than my own measurement, not sure if I have inaccurate scales or [cynic mode] the airlines have tweaked the scales in their favour. [/cynic mode]

Edit: Actually, thats a fair point. In this age of airlines making considerable income from excess baggage, who calibrates and certifies the airline scales to make sure they are accurate and fair?

The Drowned Fish

Post by The Drowned Fish » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:50 pm

Are you sure it is 32kg to India?
Virgin - 23Kg + 32 Kg sports allowance + 5 Kg hand luggage = a busted back

Cheers
Simon

ol

Post by ol » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:53 pm

Jim wrote:Are you sure it is 32kg to India?
Mr Branson says so himself.

I guess with this thing you could weigh the boat seperately and then add other stuff up to your limit. It goes up to 22kgs. Pretty cheap too.

cliffhangermatt

Post by cliffhangermatt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Your local vets will have a dog scale that is like a big mat on the floor.

Smile nicely then when they agree, observe their faces when you drag in a big boat and a big bag of kit.

The Drowned Fish

Post by The Drowned Fish » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:33 pm

Oh crap... according to my (Argos £2.99) scales my Fluide Solo weighs 25KG when empty.

Suddenly that Virgin sports allowance isn't looking so generous. Thank god I'm not flying Gulf Air (soory guys).

Right time to reject some kit.

Cheers
Simo

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:57 pm

ol wrote:
So he does!
It was worth you double checking though, it would not be unusual for them to have small print that on flights to Asia the 32kg for sports equipment is reduced to 23kg, as far as I can see, they don't!

BoaterJH

Post by BoaterJH » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Jim wrote:
ol wrote:
So he does!
It was worth you double checking though, it would not be unusual for them to have small print that on flights to Asia the 32kg for sports equipment is reduced to 23kg, as far as I can see, they don't!
It is worth printing that webpage out and taking it with you.

When I checked by coffin board bag with my surf boat in it weighed near to 32kg with all my other kit in it plus a board, the check in girl thought it had to be the normal 23kg.

She only "let me off" excess charges when her supervisor said it was up to the nice check in girl to decide how much over the limit bags could be before they charge you! It seems there is virgin policy but staff can use a certain amount of discretion. As my normal luggage was 6kg she "let me off".

Its worth getting to the airport early,
be nice to the virgin staff,
do online check in the night before, this saves time at the airport,
make sure you are under the weight limit!
If going to be over the weight limit, you could try the old trick of holding the boat on the scales for the check in person trying to take a bit of the weight! But this is getting desperate!

The other things is that you check your "over sized bag" in at the normal desk at Heathrow then you have to take the bag to another place to hand it over to a baggage handler. Allowing you a few min. for a few final modifications to your bag, obviously just making sure your boats all wrapped up and protected!
Joe H

GLC GAV

Post by GLC GAV » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:55 pm

For the record, I just weighed my Nomad for my flight, it weighed in at a n exceptable 19.5kgs. My paddling kit ( bare minimum) has weighed in at about 8kgs. Please be nice to me too gulf air!

ol

Post by ol » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:57 pm

BoaterJH wrote:
It is worth printing that webpage out and taking it with you.
Yeah, already printed out every bit of evidence to substantiate my claim....
BoaterJH wrote: The other things is that you check your "over sized bag" in at the normal desk at Heathrow then you have to take the bag to another place to hand it over to a baggage handler. Allowing you a few min. for a few final modifications to your bag, obviously just making sure your boats all wrapped up and protected!
We did this (Allegedly) with our none too lightweight downhill bikes on the way to France last year. It has to be done with these 'heavyweight' sports...

David P

Post by David P » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 pm

I'd also encourage the "evening before check in" if at all possible. That way, the check in staff don't get to see your hand luggage!! Then the morning after, provided you're of a physique to make 15kg look light as a feather whilst hoisted onto your shoulder, Virgin are less likely to be interested...
David P

MatSav

Post by MatSav » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:48 am

nichburton wrote:...In this age of airlines making considerable income from excess baggage, who calibrates and certifies the airline scales to make sure they are accurate and fair?
In brief, the manufacturer (who self-verifies their instruments) or other "Notified Body", and/or Local Authority Trading Standards Officers.

It's seven years since I worked for the National Weights and Measures Laboratory, testing aircraft baggage weighers - but, if I remember correctly, the maximum error allowed at 30kg will be 0.15kg (dependant on the Class and resolution of the weighing instrument).

The Drowned Fish

Post by The Drowned Fish » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:24 am

Anyone ever used online check-in successfully with boats?

Cheers
Simon

BoaterJH

Post by BoaterJH » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:00 pm

The Drowned Fish wrote:Anyone ever used online check-in successfully with boats?

Cheers
Simon
Yup I did this. You still have to check your baggage in when you get to the airport and get asked all the security questions.
Joe H

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:21 am

ADVERT FROM EASYJET:

Know Your Luggage Weight Before You Check-In
Check-in with confidence with the first and only, specifically designed, Digital Luggage Scale. Simple to use, weighing up to 44kg (100lbs) in kg or lbs. Lightweight and portable, 0.25kg / 140 x 85 x 22mm. Great also for Ski and Golf Equipment. This really is the must have tool for every traveller.

Order Now. Don't get caught out!

UK orders only £19.99 inc P&P. Rest of Europe only £24.99 inc P&P.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”