VOZ Sports - Crazy Kit!

Inland paddling
Tom_Laws

VOZ Sports - Crazy Kit!

Post by Tom_Laws » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:08 pm

As you may have noticed recently, Level Six have had a change of UK importer, and are no longer bought in by Square Rock. Oh well, they are now brought into the UK by Rokxat from the Netherlands, a dedicated importer. :-)

I had a flick through their website this afternoon, and they also import VOZ Sports, which do some crazy stuff! Click

A Bluetooth waterproof watch that can store a gig of music, and then transmit it to their helmets, which also have P2P radios in them. Sweeet! Apparently one of the lids even gets a weather forcast!
Has anyone seen any this crazy VOZ stuff over here?

Cheers

Tom

RVabdn

Post by RVabdn » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:25 pm

The Skull Cage face guard looks awesome. Wish I'd seen them before we bought our new polo helmets.
Richard Veitch

Grumpy Fisherman

Post by Grumpy Fisherman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:39 pm

The guys at the Fluid stand at Canoexpo had a couple of the helmet / watch combos. They seemed awesome, although it didn't fit me. You could also talk to your mates between headsets! Awesome!

a boy named sue

Post by a boy named sue » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:02 pm

One of my friends was sponsored by them, after creeking for a month with it i think he went through two of them. They might be better now tho.

little tim

Post by little tim » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:06 pm

We played around with the one Rein had at the canoe expo, and did think that if going into a big hole the last thing you wanted to hear was your mates on the bank shouting 'Oh S*** not that way!'. Although it would be quite amusing to be the other person - taking the piss in real time!

Rein said he thought the production version would be coming soon - these were just a prototype. One consideration is that everyone would need a helmet, as you couldn't hear a thing once the helmet was on any anything coming through.

Ross W

Post by Ross W » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:41 pm

I want one!
Dartmoor / Plymouth based
www.rosswildman.co.uk

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:08 pm

I had a play about with Josh Bechtal's one in Uganda last year.....freeking fun idea although his one was a proto so wasn't water proof, they looks sound and are very very cool indeed and if you get them from the states they cost next to nothing.
dam the dart :)

Ed Smith

Post by Ed Smith » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:18 pm

I was going to paddle for them as a good friend in the states was their sales and brand manager.

After speaking with him and having a contract lined up I was sent a helmet. This broke in 3 places when it fell off my van wing mirror (the rachet, and 2 places on the actual helmet!) which is not acceptable. I left it at the side of my van and it then accidentally got driven over by a friend... it was mashed so unfortunately I couldn't show them the initial cracks.

Shortly after this my friend left for his own reasons. Since then I have left and know of other team members who have left. We value our heads!

Certainly a funky looking helmet but for the moment is not up to scratch. I'm not in the habit of dissing new products but for the sake of making sure people don't get hurt due to unsafe gear I'd say stay clear of this one.

Ed

PKY

Re: VOZ Sports - Crazy Kit!

Post by PKY » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Tom_Laws wrote:. Oh well, they are now brought into the UK by Rokxat from the Netherlands, a dedicated importer. :-)

Cheers

Tom
Or maybe Squarerock are simply dedicated to the people that paddle it's products and shops they deal with, which is why they would have dropped Level6 and instead gone for a much better product with Stohlquist. Before you jump the gun I'm proud to keep wearing my unbeatable Kokatat gear.

As for the Voz kit, I've seen many people wearing there kit in Canada and the States and many paddlers love there backpacks which are very future looking, saying that i've only seen people wear there helmets while playboating and know of paddlers changing to a "hard' helmet when running rivers/creeks.

I like that they are thinking of some cool ideas though!

Pikey

Edited to make things read clearer.
Last edited by PKY on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:19 pm

PKY wrote:Or maybe Squarerock are simply dedicated to the people and shops it sales it product to, which is why they would have dropped Level6 for its poor quality of product in build, amterial and looks, instead gone for a much better product with Stohlquist. And before you jump the gun I'm proud to keep wearing my unbeatable Kokatat gear.
Pikey
You're being overly harsh on Level six, so what if they're no Kokatat, they make good strong gear at reasonable prices, whilst I haven't admitted it, when I was buying gear a while back I very nearly ended up with some very nice L6 kit, But got a (very, very, very) good deal on some palm kit that was that bit better.

I don't know of any L6 gear failures and in any case, such occurances haven't been as common as the big brands like Palm, PEAK and IR. I don't think looks count more than price either.

At the end of the day, its each to their own, just because your sponsor has dropped them, doesn't mean you need to slate them, or are you out to disprove Mr Weir
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

PKY

Post by PKY » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:31 pm

I wouldn't say i was being overly harsh, maybe a little though, but I have seen and spent plenty of time with people complaining of its product, As you have clearly pointed out with buying palm, for the price range you cant beat a palm sidewinder, Plus the reasons you see/hear of more issues with Palm, PeakUK and IR is due to there being far more of that kit being used in this country.

I however cant see how Mr Laws can be upset with Squarerock for dropping a company for better products, it's simply better business.

I don't disagree with what FunkyDreadz has to say in that write up. But I'd be happier seeing someone paddling in the best kit for their price range.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:55 pm

Some of that kit is pretty conceptual!

Regarding the Level 6 thing, I don't suppose there are many folk who really care who the distributor / importer of a product is once the product is on the shelves in their local paddlesports emporium.

I've never had any dealings with Squarerock and so don't really know or care what the situation is. I do know however that I like the L6 kit and believe it is amongst the best kit available (I won't say the best, that's pretty subjective) and so I'm pretty pleased that the kit will still be in the shops in the UK. I do get my kit cheap, but by no means free, and if it didn't work in the situations that I need it to then I would simply use something else. I tend to use my kit quite hard, and so if I didn't trust a bit of kit to keep me safe and comfortable then I wouldn't use it. Anyhow, people are generally smart enough to work out what is best for them, and the more brands and choice in the shops, the better for everyone.

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:29 pm

Ive been using a Voz lid for 6 months for river running / creeking in and its been great, good coverage, and very adjustable for the all important fit.

ChrisMac

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:18 pm

PKY wrote:
Tom_Laws wrote:. Oh well, they are now brought into the UK by Rokxat from the Netherlands, a dedicated importer. :-)

Cheers

Tom
Or maybe Squarerock are simply dedicated to the people and shops it sales it product to,
Or maybe you should look at the punctuation. Roxkat who are a company that do nothing but importing.

Tom. Greatly enjoying being away from the interweb, except in McCraplands.

Robson

Post by Robson » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:43 am

I was working on the fluid stand at Canoexpo and we had alot of time playing with the Voz lids/watch combo, even wandering round the hall and still chatting to the guys to the stand. They seemed pretty good. Apparently the system will be available on all the lids eventually. And there is a composite lid on the way too.

Maybe wait untill they are fully productional and all the bugs have been worked out.
Can't think of anything to say in less than 50 cha