Kitkat free activies, grrr.

Inland paddling
BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:52 am

We have decided to stay on the list (but get details changed) as we can claim money back for anybody that comes along for their free session.

I am just concerned that we still don't know how they have got the info if the BCU didn't send it.

I gather a lot of us and the BCU have been in touch with them this morning. I was asked how we all knew. I mentioned that we were a close knit community and things spread very quickly!!!

Chrace

Post by Chrace » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:58 am

I got through straight away to remove out club fromt that thing.

It is however worth calling (08704460457) just to hear their offers, they are blatantly making money off voluntary clubs without their consent. Krikey.

Worse is they have published us with a private address of one of our members and "it can take up to a week to get the information removed" (phone). I can think of quite a few things in the Data Protection Act of 1998 that are violated here.

I'll pop through a formal complaint as well.

Strad

Post by Strad » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:58 am

BCU have added a note in their news section

http://www.bcu.org.uk/bcu/bcu-newsitem. ... ItemId=829
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

little tim

Post by little tim » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:04 am

Interestingly it seems I live next door to Leeds canoe club. I never even knew...
Hey presto, loads of money for new Kayaks and Open boats. How much are these eggs by the way?
Eggs are a fiver, or 2 for £8 at Tesco.

Interestingly, the details posted for some clubs are different to those on the bcu website.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 am

Ah, that is at the moment. Wait til Easter Monday and they will be loads cheaper...

chloenelsonlawrie

Post by chloenelsonlawrie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:16 am

As I understand it from the call centre, a list from Yell was used to get the details of clubs...

hodgkins

Post by hodgkins » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:26 am

What's more annoying is that the address details are old. I'm no longer the club secretary, but they have my address down.

I too received the letter but threw it in the bin.

Our club details aren't on yell or bt.com and a search on google doesn't give my address so I don't know where they got our details from except from the BCU. Maybe they've used an old BCU handbook...
Dave

quicky

Post by quicky » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:29 am

I can confirm that our club has not received such a letter.

It is clear that information has been obtained from the BCU since the address is not of our canoe club but of a member who lives in a different town. This information is only found either on the BCU website of obtained from the BCU directly.

Adrian Cooper

It has been gathered from the call centre that that a list from Yell was used to get the details of clubs - so most probably not the BCU. Call Centre number 0870 4460457.

Whoever did it.... They should not have unless all that information is in the public domain in which case they still should have asked permission which technically they did do and by not replying to the supposed letter they assumed you agreed to there little scheme. Vey Sneaky....
Just make sure you demo sessions cost a lot if you do them.......
Last edited by quicky on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nitram

Post by Nitram » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:31 am

My club's on there and isn't and never has been in the Yellow Pages or on yell.

I think it is most likely they got it from BCU publicly available material. This isn't the BCU's fault - it's the job of the BCU to let people know how to get in touch with their local canoe club. It is Nestle's fault for deciding to abuse that material.

Martin

briman

Post by briman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:38 am

From the limited available information on the Nestle website.

consumer.services@uk.nestle.com

Some like me may wish to send a polite letter asking how they came about the information and why they did not get Clubs (and individuals) express permission to use their details and associate them with the Nestle promotion may be worthwhile for those who feel so.

Also may be worth asking what they intend to do to address the issue they have created.

NP

Post by NP » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:39 am

I've just called them up and it seems like a really good deal!
Basicaly someone turns up with a voucher and then you get to invoice Nestle for what-ever it costs you to offer that experience
So if you had to buy a new boat and some shiney werners to offer that experience - they will re-imburse you for that cost!
I asked them how they costed out this whole venture and they had no answer - so seems reasonable to me! I also asked if they had some terms and conditions around payment - they said what-ever the cost was!
Embrace the corporate stupidity!

quicky

Post by quicky » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:40 am

Also may be worth asking what they intend to do to address the issue they have created.
As long as they don't start selling us baby milk.... but that is a whol other can of worms....

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:49 am

It's such a shame that this has been so badly handled as it's the best 'Find-a-club' webpage I've ever seen, and how many clubs don't want new members?

fatty

Post by fatty » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:06 pm

Scumbag_Scout wrote:It's such a shame that this has been so badly handled as it's the best 'Find-a-club' webpage I've ever seen, and how many clubs don't want new members?
I agree but there are alot of clubs who are mainly adult based as they don't have sufficent coaches to invite children. Offering this kind of promotion on an easter egg is surley going to produce a wave of children, for which not everyone can handle.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:11 pm

Fatty - the promotion is open to over 18's only. I gather it says so on the voucher and it definately says so on the telephone when you call them. We have asked that our other requirements (being able to swim 25 m etc are also made clear).

conoroneill

Post by conoroneill » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Scumbag_Scout wrote:It's such a shame that this has been so badly handled as it's the best 'Find-a-club' webpage I've ever seen, and how many clubs don't want new members?
We only want new members in small numbers at a time!
Conor O'Neill

quicky

Post by quicky » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:25 pm

http://www.nestle.co.uk/PressOffice/UKPressContacts/

'Email us with any specific question, comment or request and we'll be happy to contact you in return'.
We're always happy to answer your specific questions or requests but we'd also like to hear from you if you have any general comments about Nestlé or the site.

If your contact is of an extremely urgent nature, please telephone our freephone number 00800 6378 5385, which is manned Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm.

Before you email us your queries or comments we will need a few personal details. If you have registered with us already then click the 'Consumer Login' link below and the form will appear with the boxes filled in automatically. If you prefer not to register then click here for the blank email form. If you wish to register then you can do so at any time by going to the Register section in Contact Us

Consumer Login

PRIVACY POLICY
Nestlé does not sell, rent or otherwise make available any personal data submitted by visitors to our site to any third parties. Click here to read our Privacy Policy.

http://www.nestle.co.uk/ContactUs/EmailMe/

Garth

Post by Garth » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:43 pm

Nestle's Press Office have been spoken to by myself and quote, "Someone from the canoes" (thanks Jules for the alert) - they knew nothing about it (but do now) and have promised to do something today.

Their email adress is nestleukpressoffice@uk.nestle.com

While you are all perhaps a little younger than some of us that manage angling clubs, the reason some people were not contacted it seems could be that what ever data base Nestle used, it is many years old. A number of the angling contacts are also now deceased - one of them 20 years ago......

The rest of us , you'll be pleased to know - are still going strong.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:51 pm

quicky wrote:
As long as they don't start selling us baby milk.... but that is a whol other can of worms....

This made me laugh.
I remember a uni-campaign to boycott Nestle products as a result of alleged baby milk scandal.
It was so difficult to actually do somene produced a spoof advert that said; "Tried boycotting Nestle?" "You Can't 'cos we make everything".

It turns out not to be true after all, as they obviously don't make calls to canoe clubs.....

little tim

Post by little tim » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Garth wrote:The rest of us , you'll be pleased to know - are still going strong.
At least they're not just picking on us little kayakers ;-)

adrian j pullin

Post by adrian j pullin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Can the club get money from Nestle for doing these sessions? If so, then everyone in the club should get an egg, do a session and then the club can claim money from Nestle for doing what we do anyway, with the people we do it with anyway!

Cheers
Cheers

Adrian J Pullin
-------------------------------------------------------
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Kayak lore: "He who capsizes must also roll".

briman

Post by briman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:12 pm

The press office has replied (but their consumer services haven't as yet)

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email. You have in fact come through to the press office, which does not handle enquiries of this kind. Nevertheless we are happy to pass on your comments to consumer services.
This issue has been brought to our attention today.
Please rest assured that having been advised of this issue this morning, we have already made the relevant departments aware of it, and they are in the process of raising the issue today with the external agency that has set up this online activity, so that the situation can be rectified as soon as possible.
If you have any further comments or concerns, please contact consumer services direct at consumer.services@uk.nestle.com.
Many thanks.
Nestle UK Press Office

quicky

Post by quicky » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Mentioned a little higher up
Only over 18 on the tickets.

Toby

Post by Toby » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Hmm, I have been doing my best to bocott nestle for many years now. Not as easy as you'd think.

Do I have to boycott kayaking now?

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:35 pm

adrian j pullin wrote:Can the club get money from Nestle for doing these sessions? If so, then everyone in the club should get an egg, do a session and then the club can claim money from Nestle for doing what we do anyway, with the people we do it with anyway!

Cheers
Yes and yes (as far as we can see). NP mentions it above - but I am not sure they will go as far as giving us new boats. We asked about claiming back the non-members pool fees and were told that would be fine.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:07 pm

Looks like the website is now down...

http://www.nestlepromotions.co.uk/easte ... rtificate/

Grumpy old man

Post by Grumpy old man » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi
How would we keep up to date without UKRGB?

Thanks Guys& Gals

Grumpy
Paddle well, Have fun.

Lloyd Allin

fatty

Post by fatty » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:20 pm

I have spoke to them today and the way it works is as follow:

If you want to be involved, worth calling them and clarifying all the details. They want to know:

What you can offer(i.e taster 1 and 2*)
When
How long the sessions are
Where
How much per session (they then expect a 20% discount)

Client buys egg - Call nestle to book - turn up to session and present voucher - you send vouchers off weekly and they send you what ever the amount is you have agreed. Simple as that.

Brilliant money maker and great source to find new members through someone else paying for advertising. We are jumping on the back of this and so should everyone else. There isn't a downside I can see because you can turn down any people if you get to busy, over 18's only, and can charge something in the region of £30 per person.

Is it only one voucher per person? Or can I go Zorbing and Go karting next week, sailing and windsurfing the week after, and finish with a little dabble in fishing ;-)

Good Luck

Grumpy Fisherman

Post by Grumpy Fisherman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:35 pm

I have to say that for a company as big as Nestle this is an utterly crazy way of running a business. Glad we're not on there.

conoroneill

Post by conoroneill » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:12 pm

fatty wrote:Client buys egg - Call nestle to book - turn up to session and present voucher - you send vouchers off weekly and they send you what ever the amount is you have agreed. Simple as that.

Brilliant money maker and great source to find new members through someone else paying for advertising. We are jumping on the back of this and so should everyone else.
I think that the issue is that most of the clubs mentioned did not agree. I don't think that most of the clubs would have any issues with this if they'd been asked in advance.

There are many clubs, like ours, which simply don't (or can't) offer public tuition...
Conor O'Neill

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”