Help with info about Granta / GRANATA kayak

Inland paddling
NeilG

Help with info about Granta / GRANATA kayak

Post by NeilG »

When I was about 15 or 16 years old (15 years ago) I had quite a large touring kayak. I am almost certain that it had "GRANTA" or "GRANATA" marked on it somewhere. It was about 15 feet long, GRP with a pale blue gel coat and was very high volume with deck lines. The cockpit was massive, so large that I had to brace my knees outwards against the cockpit rim, not up against the deck. The sides of the cockpit were supported with square wooden posts, one on each side! It was very stable and flat bottomed. There was a good deal of room behind the seat, which I think was just a moulded platform, not part of the rim.

The closest thing to it might be something by the likes of Ottersport.

I have found nothing on t'internet but would like to confirm what it was and perhaps find a photograph.

Any ideas or help please?
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

Paul Stewart

Post by Paul Stewart »

Granta was a fibreglass kayak manufacturer and I'm sure they were based in Huntingdon
Paul

Jim

Post by Jim »

No idea what the model was but our Scout Troop had loads of them for a while (replaced with dancers and eventually falchions and mirages), quite a few of them were the blue you describe.

Didn't Ottersport sell the Granta stuff for a while in the 80's or early 90's?

Jules

Post by Jules »

Granta were indeed a boat manufacturer based in Huntingdon. They were big in the eighties making GRP canoes and kayaks. I think they may have even build wooden boats before this, but ultimately disappeared when plastic boats became the norm. They did dip their toe in the plastic boat market, but the boats they sold were basically rebranded ACE boats (my first plastic boat was a Granta Titan, a rebranded Ace Europa). I think they ceased trading (in canoes at least) around 93 or 94.

I hope that helps.

Jules

Jim

Post by Jim »

Yep, we used to have canoes built from Plywood Granta kits (maybe they were bought complete, but there were definitely kits), It is the canoe Granta kits I think Ottersports were selling, don't know why I think that, I just do! Oh, and the Angmagssalik sea kayak kit - ask on the sea board there are folks there who have tracked down the plans for these boats so may know more about Granta.

Simon

Memory Lane

Post by Simon »

This thread inspired me to a Google Search under Granta, and I had a real trip down memory lane

http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~acsrrrm/kayak/home.html

with boats like

and

Incidentally - have a look at http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~acsrrrm/kayak/cockle.html for the "CockleShell Heroes" - discussed here recently.

Simon

steamstevec

Post by steamstevec »

Almost certainly a "Granta Classic". I have one hung from the roof of my shed.

Cheers
Steve
What do you mean life is short ?
It's the longest thing your going to do.

Paul Stewart

Post by Paul Stewart »

I'm sure I bought my first boat from them, a fibreglass Snipe in 1989. It survived my first year at college before all the tape could no longer hold it together, moved swiftly onto my first plastic boat after that, a Prijon Invader.
Paul

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Jim wrote:It is the canoe Granta kits I think Ottersports were selling, don't know why I think that, I just do! Oh, and the Angmagssalik sea kayak kit - ask on the sea board there are folks there who have tracked down the plans for these boats so may know more about Granta.
This is what you're talking about. From a 1969 Ottersports catalogue. I believe Ottersports were later taken over by Granta.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”