Virgin Atlantic

Inland paddling
flea

Virgin Atlantic

Post by flea » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:44 pm

I'm just looking for USA flights for the Spring. Is the following a new policy from Virgin Atlantic? I know people have had problems flying boats with them in the past
Passengers can take one piece of sporting equipment free of charge, in addition to their free baggage allowance. The sporting equipment can weigh no more than 32kg.

The following equipment can be considered as 1 piece of sporting equipment, complying with size and weight.....

....Canoes & Kayaks

Canoes/kayaks up to 4.5m (162in). Canoeing items such paddle, seat, buoyancy aid, spray deck and helmet can be packed inside the canoe/kayak, provided the overall weight limit is not exceeded.

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:57 pm

It's quite a new policy, they did it just after BA announced that they would no longer take boats.

ol

Post by ol » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:50 pm

Hopefully this is right. Baggage allowance states 23kg I thought, but that may not include sporting equipment.

I would still be tempted to try to get something in writing before flying to wave at the check-in desk....

superman

Post by superman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:17 pm

Virgin are cool. Have just booked flights to Costa Rica using Virgin to Miami connecting with a Martinair flight to San Jose who will accept kayaks. Standard American Airlines are a waste of time. I had to search around but once I found a suitable connecting airline Virgin were able to book that also. Worth making sure it is logged into the booking.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:13 pm

Looks like Virgin are being a bit unfair to scuba divers:
Diving Equipment Kit
No more than 1 of the following, facemask, fins (pair), pressure gauge, regulator, safety vest, snorkel, weights belt and cylinder which must be empty to ensure safe handling.
If it's what they choose to take, they would only be able to check in a single facemask and nothing else! I would have thought one each of these would make more sense!

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:43 pm

Big Henry wrote:Looks like Virgin are being a bit unfair to scuba divers:
I think you might find that it's one each of the items.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:12 pm

Performance Kayaks wrote:
Read the press release, One of Not One each of.

Seems like a typo though.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:57 am

4 of us flew with them to New York with no problems. We did however book them on as surf equipment but not a surfboard. It was a good job we did or we wouldn't have got them back. The lady at JFK was about to give us the over my dead body speech until she saw that they were booked on the computer, then they were really helpful.

ChrisMac

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:47 pm

Performance Kayaks wrote:
Just re-read it, and it definitely states "No more than 1 of the following..." and NOT "No more than 1 EACH of the following...". What you think it means, what it should sensibly mean, and what it says are different! I have emailed asking for clarification on this, though.