Catherine Tate is doing it now...

Inland paddling

quicky

BCU quick with a reply

Post by quicky »

BCU quick with a reply...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBC programme portrays canoeing in a bad light - how to object

The BBC will feature a canoeing clip in the Catherine Tate show that demonstrates a young teenage girl arguing with a local and drowning in a canoeing accident. See this newspaper clipping http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 562980.ece

We want to prevent this footage from being aired because:

- It portrays canoeing as a dangerous sport and that is not necessarily the case
- It highlights fractions between canoeists and river users. The BCU encourages and promotes good relations between all river users and urges canoeists to act responsibly and with courtesy to all.
- Canoeing is a fantastic sport; it is good for people's health, well being and development. It should be promoted in a positive light to encourage more people get involved.
- With it being an Olympic year next year, we should promote all sport in a fun and enjoyable manner, to encourage that future Olympians come through the ranks.

To object to canoeing being shown in this light, make a complaint to the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

08700 100 222

Many thanks for your support

Tom W

Post by Tom W »

I love the BCU.

Rick Foster

Post by Rick Foster »

Oh dear, if there are people out there who carnt see this the way it was ment to be seen then I am very worryed.

chicklechives

Post by chicklechives »

Relax, news just in

The Catherine Tate show has been pulled from its Christmas slot to be replaced by a medical show into the very popular surgery of a humour lobotomy. Should be good viewing.

Wease

Post by Wease »

Is it a good idea to try make a big thing out of this (guessing that this is what will happen if it gets pulled)? Or is all publicity good publicity for the sport? Serious question - I really don't know, what with this 'canoeist' back from the dead stuff.

Pete the kayaker

Post by Pete the kayaker »

I thought I saw a sense of humour going cheap on e-bay!
*Fringe Extremist*

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler »

I wont be complaining.

I don't think I'll be able to laugh at this clip though, but only because I find Catherine Tate generally unfunny.
Paul (Un)Stabler

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer »

Sorry Quicky,

I can't agree to protest to something that I haven't seen. I am sorry, but I think that the BCUs attempt to get the sketch banned is risible, and is likely to do more harm than good. The BCU will only come out of this badly.

It would be far better to prepare a line saying something along the lines of
"The Catherine Tate Show says nothing about canoeing or canoeists - it is merely a commentary on the dangers of having a blinkered, bolshy attitude."

So BCU, get a life.
Nick Mawer

quicky

Post by quicky »

just posting the response to the news. not from me..... Personally i will be watching Dr. Who with my six year old.....

chicklechives

Post by chicklechives »

But Quicky you must know by now that messenger shooting is a favourite pastime round here.

quicky

Post by quicky »

seems to be the only pastime sometimes he he

Will have to make it into a game...
Last edited by quicky on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Post by Jules »

Jules quick with his reply to the BCU...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The BCU will issue a press release encouraging people to object to the BBCC about a canoeing clip in the Catherine Tate show. We want to prevent this press release from being circulated because :

- It sweeps under the carpet the fact that there is actually a conflict between water users.

- It patronises the public by assuming that they will see footage of the more extreme aspect of the sport and not be able to disassociate this from less extreme participation.

- It portrays all canoeists as being Olympic obsessed.

- As the governing body of the sport, it represents canoeists as a sport run by people who take themselves far too seriously with no sense of humour.

To object to this press release being circulated please complain to the BCU

chloe.nelson-lawrie@bcu.org.uk

0845 370 9511

Many thanks for your support

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Some of those things Dr Who gets up to are downright dangerous. It puts time travel in a bad light and belittles what would otherwise be a positive pursuit.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Big question though. Wezzit?

Strad

Post by Strad »

I amazed no one has yet posted

'Am I bovvered...'

but no, but yeah, but no, but... but where is it??? <sorry for mixing my comedy shows....>
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Lincolnpaddle

Post by Lincolnpaddle »

Triple step on the Etive?

Probably miles off lol
Oggy

MatelotMark

Post by MatelotMark »

oh Sweet jesus no!!

You guys arent honestly using this are you? I dont think we are bo....Really that worried. Maybe promote it, and ask them to slip something about river access or clubs for teenagers.

Or even better they could make an allegory using the waterfall; and olympic money?

Pitbull Simon

Post by Pitbull Simon »

Quicky,

I hope you see that you are getting some consistent feedback here that you will feedback sharpish and hopefully put a stop to the BCU nonsense.

I think it will be really funny to watch Catherine Tate dropping off the Etive shouting her catch phrase. My guess is that she was inspired by Kate Silverton's exploits on the same river earlier this year.

In general any exposure that canoeing gets is good. This is pure fun and I just don't see that it puts us in a bad light at all, but might just set off a few people to come out and give it a go (using local knowledge to stay safe, of course).

Why can't the BCU view this positively - let's say it helps emphasises the message to get some proper training if someone is considering going out on the water on their own.
[/quote]

Uisce

Post by Uisce »

Nice of the BCU to give us a link so we can lodge our complaints to the BBC.

Can anybody post up a link so that I can lodge a complaint with the BCU asking them to remove their frankly embarassing 'protest' from the website and get a sense of humour.

Please. please, please BCU stop this campaign. It really is cringworthy stuff. Are there not better things they could be using their limited time and resources to campaign against....Hhhmmnn...I can't think of any?

Pete the kayaker

Post by Pete the kayaker »

Uisce wrote:Can anybody post up a link so that I can lodge a complaint with the BCU asking them to remove their frankly embarassing 'protest' from the website and get a sense of humour.
E-mail them on info@bcu.org.uk - I have.
*Fringe Extremist*

MatelotMark

Post by MatelotMark »

Also Emailed, got a polite reply back:

Thanks for your email.
One of the BCU's objectives is to increase participation in the sport and recreation. We try to promote canoeing as a fun, enjoyable and safe recreation / sport.

One perception non-paddlers have is that canoeing is dangerous. We want to dispel this myth and encourage more people to enjoy a fun healthy pastime.
And going after comedy helps how?

I note she Ms. Tate is wearing approved safety kit? I beleive she is mentioned as breaking off from a group; a big no-no in safety?

And maybe as a nice end clip; the Beeb couldadd chavveh drifting out sans boat, keeping the plot open :)

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Looks bloody funny, looking forward to seeing it on the box - except that I'll be in Spain, dammit.

BTW I actually do think that canoeing is a really dangerous sport. Maybe I'm just a coward.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

I have written to the BBC Complaints department as requested. I have to admit to not being as derogatory as the BCU suggest we should be.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Is Ms Tate a paddler and is it her going down the drop or is it a stunt double? It all looks too right for her not to be some sort of paddler in real life.

Twix

Post by Twix »

I think its funny. It does not show canoeing in a bad light any more than some of her other sketches show teaching in a bad light. It is a humorous look at the "joy" of trying to do anything positive with certain teenagers.

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

Why are they 'bovvered' about this? Surely canoeists are all insurance fraudsters anyway!

Gary Pelc

Post by Gary Pelc »

Pitbull Simon wrote:
I think it will be really funny to watch Catherine Tate dropping off the Etive shouting her catch phrase. My guess is that she was inspired by Kate Silverton's exploits on the same river earlier this year.

The Etive isnt brown

Poke

Post by Poke »

I love the way the first photo is blatantly taken on a scummy canal, no doubt somewhere near London, whereas the shots of the fall I don't think are even in the UK.

A new wezzit maybe?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

quicky

Post by quicky »

Quicky,

I hope you see that you are getting some consistent feedback here that you will feedback sharpish and hopefully put a stop to the BCU nonsense.
I just posted the links I found and the response. I'm sure the BCU make there own decisions... Whatever we think.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”