Does a creek boat fit in a 5-door hatchback Golf?

Inland paddling
Peter Brown

Does a creek boat fit in a 5-door hatchback Golf?

Post by Peter Brown » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Just wondering before I go spending my money.

Duckboy

Post by Duckboy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:26 pm

Can't see why not......

Lie the front seat down and take the parcel shelf out and you *should* be ok but i'd take a tape measure!

Depends on the boat I guess!

But you can get one in my lovely Vauxhall Signum! ;) *Blatent advert*
http://www.duckboy.co.uk

C1 Stuff! - slowly being updated! (please use F5 to refresh the pages as its being screwy!)

sarajames

Post by sarajames » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:31 pm

My squirt boat does. Will try my Burn later tonight and let you know.

nichburton

Post by nichburton » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:37 pm

I could get my Micro 230 (actually it was nearer to 240cm long) into my Mk4 Golf. Front seat tilted back, boat upside down, slide in stern first if I recall correctly. Seat covers or boat bag are a good idea, headrests have to come off the back seats.

Of course that was about 3years ago, and the correct method was ascertained only after cracking the windshield. Oops! (Well, it needed replacing anyway).

FWIW, I'm 99% sure that my friend got my medium Burn into his Ford Focus hire car this weekend. I didn't actually see it, but he paddled the Dart this weekend without a roofrack so I think its a safe bet.

adam_d

Post by adam_d » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:56 pm

sarajames wrote:My squirt boat does. Will try my Burn later tonight and let you know.
Yours is an estate though!

chrisps

Post by chrisps » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:11 pm

My H3 245 *just* fits into a Mk4 golf if you take the front headrest out and lean the seat back, then put the boat ontop of the parcel shelf, over the front seat and onto the dashboard.

You cant see a thing out the left hand side of the car though - a bit scary driving like that!

furby

Post by furby » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:16 pm

chrisps wrote:
You cant see a thing out the left hand side of the car though - a bit scary driving like that!
Possible illegal? Not forgetting leathal for any cyclists or motorbikers!

wiresno2

Does a creek boat fit in a 5 door golf

Post by wiresno2 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:18 pm

Ive got a skoda fabia vrs slightly smaller than the golf and i can get a perception java in by putting the back seat down and winding the front seet right back with plenty of room to spare

Duckboy

Post by Duckboy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:19 pm

chrisps wrote:

I have to admit whenever I have put the boat in the car I do keep the wing mirror visible!
http://www.duckboy.co.uk

C1 Stuff! - slowly being updated! (please use F5 to refresh the pages as its being screwy!)

briman

Post by briman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:38 pm

I've got a Skoda Octavia, which is the same rolling frame as the Golf and I can get a Sniper in by just dropping the back seats and moving the passenger seat forward a bit!
job done with loads of room left.

chrisps

Post by chrisps » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:45 pm

furby wrote:
chrisps wrote:
I agree that it is completely lethal - especially when changing lanes on a motorway, however it is not illegal, as you only need to be able to see out of two mirrors at any one time

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:46 pm

furby wrote:
chrisps wrote:
I wrote my car off with my kayak on the passenger seat and neither the feds nor the insurance company said a peep about it if that's anything to go by.

If it had been on the roof it would have been wrecked so I was thanking my lucky stars I'd kept it inside.

wiresno2

Creek boat in car

Post by wiresno2 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:27 pm

The back of my boat fits nicely under the dash board leaving me with a perfect view out of the side window and its secure and wont move about !

Uisce

Post by Uisce » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:43 pm

My H3 245 *just* fits into a Mk4 golf if you take the front headrest out and lean the seat back, then put the boat ontop of the parcel shelf, over the front seat and onto the dashboard.
Worth noting that if are going to do this, then you really should tie off the back of the kayak so that it cannot move forward upon braking. Even the slighest knock from a kayak can shatter a front windscreen. I've seen it done when club member was over zealously loading his kayak into a car (and oh how I laughed!). On a serious note though it could make for a lethal projectile if the car was to come to a sudden stop.

chrisps

Post by chrisps » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:53 pm

Uisce wrote:
Worth noting that if are going to do this, then you really should tie off the back of the kayak so that it cannot move forward upon braking.
Absolutely... you should find a couple of load points at the very back of the boot on the Mk4 - you should be able to run a strap through these and then through one of the safety bars on the kayak

ChrisMac

Re: Does a creek boat fit in a 5-door hatchback Golf?

Post by ChrisMac » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Just wondering before I go spending my money.
Just take the boat with you and try it before you buy. I know of a few people who have turned up at dealers and said if this kayak doesn't fit in it Im not buying and, whilst looking a little bemused, have let them try.

ChrisMac

Ed Lefley

Post by Ed Lefley » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:03 pm

Try adn get a look at the brochure for the car; they normally detail teh internal length from boot to the dash. If you can fold the seat FORWARDS instead of back, then it makes it easier to post it straight through. My boats have always gone into my cars from the boot through to the front, with the back seats dropped and the front folded forwards.

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:04 pm

Buy a scud - at 2.03m it fits in everything!

Chris

Slime

Post by Slime » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:53 pm

As a owner of a well worn aquatic Golf coming up to 200,000 miles. Yes just push the front seat back and recline it then pop the boat in. No problems with popped windscreens and the boat jams in nicely.

And, if you want to carry one or two more boats inside the car?? Take the backseat backrest out. This then frees up a huge great flat area ideal for mountain bikes, boats and similar outdoor gear. My record is 3 play boats in a Gold Mk 2 and two passengers. Not very legal!

ol

Post by ol » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:43 pm

I get my Habitat into my 96 Fiesta no problem so I would have thought a Golf would be just as easy.

My tip is to open your glovebox and shove the pointier end in there if you can, it gives you valuable extra inch-age.

pH

Post by pH » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:58 pm

My Java fits, just tip the passenger seat back. When you want to get it out again push from the front passenger door rather than pulling from the boot, less likely to tap and crack the windscreen ( learnt from experience earlier today!)

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:29 am

Cheers for the answers guys, looks like I should be able to get it in somehow or another.

lindsam

Post by lindsam » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:03 pm

You can get a pyranha s6f 191 and an s6x 205 in a golf, at the same time, with a passenger in the front seat and comfortable...

Don't know if this is useful...

It is to keep fuel costs down.

On another note, I've been known to put my creeker and my playboat in my car at the same time, though it does give me no left wing mirror or a view out of the nearside window. Not fun to drive.

I solved this problem by buying/scrounging a second rear-view mirror (like those ones driving instructors have) and point that at my blind spot on the nearside of my car. It works a treat. I now drive with the mirror there all the time (a habit I got into whilst driving abroad) as it feels scary to have a blind spot.
Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:51 am

Yep, it should go. You can make it even easier to fit boats in an old golf by simply removing the front seat.

As an aside, an M3 is just too big to fit in a Nova, it was hilarious watching someone discover this for themselves at the expense of their windscreen.