Typhoon multi sport drysuit

Inland paddling
mountainboy

Typhoon multi sport drysuit

Post by mountainboy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:00 pm

Has anyone used or got a Typhoon multi sport drysuit?

The look pretty good and have a good spec. (double knees and shoulders etc) Just wondering if anyone has any experience of them?
I like the Torrent suit but cant get one until the end of January and every one on the river seams to have one(maybe why they are out of stock)
so any views ?

RG

Post by RG » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:12 pm

Paddleworks had the Torrent suits on the rack last week. Maybe worth a phone call. A very wise investment at this time of year!

Richard Uren

Post by Richard Uren » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:30 pm

Took delivery of a Typhoon paddler suit 2 weeks ago. Used 6 times, very impressed. Good fit & comfortable. Time will tell.
PaddlecrestCoaching
It`s the journey that matters, not the destination

muppet

Post by muppet » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:24 pm

I can heartily recommend them! probably the best dry suit in the world! ;-)
Muppet
Product Manager
Typhoon International

chud

Post by chud » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:10 am

Didnt the fatcats guys that went to Greenland a little while ago use them, or am I thinking of someone else?

CC

and a three year warranty

Post by CC » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:06 am

Bought the Typhoon Multisport back in October and used it for 5 days paddling on a trip to Scotland and it worked well.

Very warm and comfortable - Wrist and ankle seals with velcro adjustable covers were good, material socks good, waist velcro adjustments good. Material seems strong and thick enough to do the job but not so thick its difficult to move in

I bought mine from the Wetsuit outlet who had the best price and free delivery - but I also had a talk with the guys at the factory first about the potential to make adjustments if needed. The people there were very helpful and will adjust leg / arm length for around £40 or add a comfort zip for around £60. However, after talking to them found they had some medium in stock with the comfort zip included - asked the wetsuit outlet to order one of these and got it for just £40 extra on the price within a week.

Ref the debate on breatheable tri laminate fabrics etc - it seems very well made, time will tell on how it wears, but with a three year warranty and helpful guys at the UK based factory I`m not too worried.

I`m also pleased not to have exactly the same drysuit as the rest of the blue suited crew!

CC

Matt Rees

Post by Matt Rees » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:47 am

I've had the typhoon racer for nearly a year and am pleased. It does what it says on the tin...I'm dry and comfy, I'd like to see more protection on the seals (don't know if the multisport adresses this) as they feel a little vulnerable. Having said that I've worn it gorge walking on several occasions (not what Typhoon had in mind I'm sure!) and it's holding up fine.

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:10 am

muppet wrote:I can heartily recommend them! probably the best dry suit in the world! ;-)
Muppet
Product Manager
Typhoon International
I always have admired your subtle approach!!!!

ChrisMac

muppet

Post by muppet » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:12 pm

Hi Chris
That is nothing, I have it reliable authority that a man in Bristol Bought a Multisport and could immediately paddle 3 grades harder, not only that but he is now apparently irresistible to the opposite sex!

On a more cautionary note a man in Manchester bought a different brand of suit instead of a Typhoon on and suffered from a sneezing fit which has left him unable to paddle at all.

I leave you to make your own decisions! ;-)

Muppet

PS just wait till you see what I am wearing tomorrow!!!!

Yakingmad
Location: Somewhere on the water (if there is any and I'm not working)

Post by Yakingmad » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:10 pm

I have had one for about five months and find it great, really comfortable, dry and warm. Better price than the Palm one, I know four other people that have them and they share the same view.

The new Typhoon Rock Boots are pretty cool as well (well warm if you know what I mean) Nice one Muppet good idea they are great!!
Swimming the way forward?

bib_bob_euroslap

Post by bib_bob_euroslap » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:55 am

Does anyone know of a link to more detailed info for this suit? I.e. a technical spec and sizing chart.

Richard Uren

Post by Richard Uren » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:54 pm

Try the wetsuit outlet. Good service too.
PaddlecrestCoaching
It`s the journey that matters, not the destination

Duckboy

Post by Duckboy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:40 pm

Totnes Kayaks have some in, in small though. I can imagine they can get more in.

It was a close call for me between the Typhoon and the Artistic.
http://www.duckboy.co.uk

C1 Stuff! - slowly being updated! (please use F5 to refresh the pages as its being screwy!)

chrisps

Post by chrisps » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:06 am

Just to add my support for the Typhoon suit - its absolutely great. It took a bit of a beating on the banks of the dart and scraping through branches etc, but it held up well.

I have also going swimming (on purpose, I hasten to add!) for about 5 ish minutes, and it didnt let anything noticable in, so its going to be fine for thte odd out of boat experience here and there.

Definitely recommended :)

simon Tapley

Post by simon Tapley » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:28 pm

Didnt the fatcats guys that went to Greenland a little while ago use them, or am I thinking of someone else?
Yea, we did use them and found them to be excellent. They are a decent price too. The socks wear thin fairly quickly tho (they haven't worn through yet), maybe they could use a slightly thicker fabric next time, just on the feet

muppet

Post by muppet » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:23 pm

Working on a sort of PU reinforcing for the bottom of the socks at the moment. Might make the waist tube an inch longer as well.
Muppet

simon Tapley

Post by simon Tapley » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:43 am

PU???

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:46 am

Polyuerethane I would imagine - rubber.

muppet

Post by muppet » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:00 am

Rubberish, but that doesn't really describe it very well.
Muppet

muppet

Post by muppet » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:17 am

Just to say thanks very much for all the endorsements above. I didn't realise that Simon and Ali had used our suits in Greenland and having just seen the trailer on their web site I am glad they performed as well as they did! I will defo have to check out the full video but Greenland looks pretty damn amazing and pretty damn hard core.
We are always very keen to hear feedback about our kit and we have a rolling update program where we continually look to make mods and alterations to the designs as issues arise. I know that all the manufacturers tend to say that but we really do ;-)
Anyway we have some fairly cool ideas coming to fruition at the moment which everyone will start to see over the next few months but if anyone has any feedback then please feel free to PM me with your thoughts.
Laters
Muppet
PS Ali I will email you later from work

Magpie

new suit coming

Post by Magpie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Just been reading this post . My typhoon multi sport suit is coming friday , being a new kayaker iam sure i will be putting the swim test to rights as my roll is not perfect yet ( bummer ) will keep you informed on how the suit performs .
paddle like f##k

Yakingmad

Post by Yakingmad » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:41 pm

They were popular at Sleningford yesterday must have been about a dozen people wearing them.

I am sure you will enjoy it, have tried and tested mine and all ways stayed dry.

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Ive got a suit made by Gul. Its aimed primarily at kitesurfers but I find it great for river running. Theyre a lot cheaper than purpose made yak ones
Lost your job? Wife ran off with your best mate? Bailiffs coming for the Audi? Thinking of topping yourself? Dont call the Samaritans, come for a paddle.
3 cheers for rap music.........Hip hop.................

Yakingmad

Aviater

Post by Yakingmad » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi Paul

See you got your picture on ok, you can change it tomorrow when you get your new dry suit hehehehe

Magpie

drysuit

Post by Magpie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:33 pm

The palm sidewinder cag has been a good buy . I will still use it when i learn to stay in my boat more . lol

Lets hope the dry suit gets as much use as the palm and stays in one piece after several swims .

Roll is getting better , its the shock of hitting the water this time of year that i car nt get used to . And i thought the north sea was cold .

Cheers for the help with the photo .

paul
paddle like f##k

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:37 pm

muppet wrote:Hi Chris
That is nothing, I have it reliable authority that a man in Bristol Bought a Multisport and could immediately paddle 3 grades harder, not only that but he is now apparently irresistible to the opposite sex!

On a more cautionary note a man in Manchester bought a different brand of suit instead of a Typhoon on and suffered from a sneezing fit which has left him unable to paddle at all.

I leave you to make your own decisions! ;-)

Muppet

PS just wait till you see what I am wearing tomorrow!!!!

Well, I'm convinced. Will wearing my Denim aftershave as well increase my sex appeal even more? Or am I just showing my age?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”