Bike racks and roof racks

Inland paddling
Pete C.

Bike racks and roof racks

Post by Pete C. » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:07 am

Right - UKRGB seems to be a fine source of info for all things roofracky. So...

I often carry boats on the roof of my estate car. Squirt boats, playboats, creekers - that kind of thing. But I've just bought a bike and I'd like to take it away for a weekend - this weekend I could have run the glen on Saturday and gone biking on Sunday, but I didn't have both.

So - what sort of bike rack's best? I'm not convinced by one that goes on top of my roof rack (for no other reason than it being covered with boats). And I'm really sick of having to take apart two muddy filthy bikes to put them in my boot. It would be nice to be able to open the boot with a couple of boats on the roof at the time...

Any thoughts?

P.

Steve C

Post by Steve C » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:19 am

I'm not convinced by the bike carriers that attach to your boot or tailgate - seen too many of them come off for my liking. I've got a couple of these which are excellent. I can fit 3 boats and 1 bike on the roof of my Focus (thats with Ford's roofbars that don't overhang at all).

If you have a towbar, I would definitely consider a towbar mounted bike rack, they seem to be the most secure.

Steve
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:28 am

I've got a towbar one, it's great. Easy to fit and store and the bikes sit on no problem. I got mine from merlin cycles, google them. Much the same as the roofrack website but a bit cheaper i think.
Andy

Daddy tell me about girls?

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

These men are called kayakers.

ol

Post by ol » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:30 am

Towbar mounted all the way...

Your fuel consumption will suffer even more with bikes on the roof too, plus lets all admit, we tend to forget these things when entering carparks with height restrictions.......

You may be overloading your rack already with boats, a bike will only add to this.
If you dont have a tow bar, although not ideal, the tailgate mounted models can be used effectively now and again in my experience. Get one which has 6 points of attachment, 2 to the top,2 to the side and 2 to the bottom.
Two downhill bikes on a Fiesta may not be advisable however.

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:32 am

damn, i foirgot to say mine cups round my ball hitch..............how could i have forgotten that double entendre' classic....must be losing my touch.
Andy

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

The Tango Man

Post by The Tango Man » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:38 am

I also have a towball mounted bike rack. It can easily take 3 bikes, and folds down to allow me access to my boot. If you don't have a towbar, then I would also be tempted by a well fitting tailgate mounted rack. Just take care not to overload it.

Talking of forgetting about stuff on your roof, I did witness a comical moment on the French autoroutes in the summer when some holiday-maker made the mistake of forgetting, and tried to drive through a height restricted toll booth. The sound of bending metal could be heard above my music and the general traffic noise. The bike looked ok-ish, but the height restriction sign was badly damaged.

Andy

briman

Post by briman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:42 am

Definitely go for a towbar mounted one if you can. If not the Saris Bones range of racks is one of the best bets for a clip on.

glynsmith

Post by glynsmith » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:46 am

I've a Thule Bacpac and it's superb.
This is a rear door mounted carrier, but unlike other rear mounted carriers which rely on small pieces of string, it is essentially clamped onto the back of the car. You can also open the boot with the bikes still attached

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:47 am

Are the towball mounted ones totally secure, I've considered getting one but they always look like they are just going to flop over!

briman

Post by briman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:52 am

I've got a Thule 9402 ride on and it will take two mountain bikes (XC) comfortably and securely. Can cruise comfortably at 70-80 with hardly any movement.

BenW

what bike did you get?

Post by BenW » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:25 pm

what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?what bike did you get?

BTW thats a nice Emma sized thumb print your modeling in the middle of your forehead...

;-)
Ben

[/code]
----------------------------
www.mysterymove.com

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:43 pm

Mine clamps round my ball real tight, you then lock off the hinge thingy half way up the stanchens with a bolt you put through and tighten up. Tight as a yorkshiremans fist on a friday night down the pub when its his round.
Andy

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:59 pm

It's looking like a towbar mount, isn't it? Maybe a project for the weekend. Thanks everyone...

P.

BenW

eh

Post by BenW » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:38 pm

Mine clamps round my ball real tight, you then lock off the hinge thingy half way up the stanchens with a bolt you put through and tighten up. Tight as a yorkshiremans fist on a friday night down the pub when its his round.
and i thought we were talking about bicycle racks...
www.mysterymove.com

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:46 pm

no honestly i am. It takes a lot of pressure to get the bloomin clamp thingy to enclosed the ball hitch and then lock it into place...........any dooble entendre' was sort of by accident.
Andy

andyhurford

Post by andyhurford » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:01 pm

My Halfords high mount carrier has a tendency to fall off. However I suspected this when I bought it (very cheap through work), and thought it was going to take more than tiny little attachments to keep put up to 3 bikes. This isn't a problem though, a bit of rope attached to the roof rails, and even when the hooks come off the carrier stays on. (I’d still think very carefully about buying one of these again)

MJS

Post by MJS » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:53 pm

I have one of the hangy offy tailgate types for my Corsa. Have had it years, never a problem. I took 2 bikes to France and back on it ( from the North East, it's not like I luve in Dover!). Have managed 3 bikes on it too. Prob not as sturdy as the tow bar mounted but very practical and inexpensive, Good Luck with your search

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:27 pm

I either put the bike(s) in the back of the car, or use one of these

on the roofrack. Takes the bike securely, lower down than other racks, easy to put on and off (the roofrack) and does not need a towbar/obscure the rear window.

I bought it from here, the roofrackshop.com and found them helpful, efficient and speedy in delivery.
Neil Farmer.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”