Dom and Banzer's Merrie Weekend of Northern Highlights

Inland paddling
banzer

Dom and Banzer's Merrie Weekend of Northern Highlights

Post by banzer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:42 pm

Sorry if anyone gets jealous, but you don't have to read this / live in England (delete as appropriate).
Four rivers we paddled this weekend:
The River Lair- an upper steep waterfall / canyon / boulder garden bit, then a crystal-clear, Kaituna-esque lower gorge beneath rhododendrons:
The Dundonnel- running big. We put in below the waterfalls- there were two more horrors beneath these ones! Who needs Norway?
Dom stopping for a surf above a riverwide hole- class, or arse??
More big water class 4 on the Gruinard- really intense! Headcam footage may follow. After the rapids we swapped creekers for playboats (cunningly concealed before the run) and headed another 200 yards into the ocean for a surf. Nice.
Had to 'ride the dragon's back' on this one between two holes:
Finally a steep burn up amongst the stunning pinnacles of An Teallach- don't ask about that waterfall in the first pic...
Some tasty drops and slides, and no you wouldn't want any more water. Me, with Dom's paddles (now why would that be then? :P)
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 pm

Whoa.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:51 pm

I'm going to push your wall out of your garden next time I see you ;)

I once spent a week just down the road from Am Tellach, lovely bit of the countryside, and very close to Britain's last wilderness (which is crap, and full of midges!)

Good work with the paddling though chaps!

Tom

P.s. what about those falls?!

Poke

Post by Poke » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:01 am

Was Chris' excuse that he doesn't like chossy low volume ditches brought into service again :-)

Looks like you guys did a lot of driving this weekend!

Very jealous. Looks awesome!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

james fleming

Post by james fleming » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:08 am

Dude, GREAT STUFF!!!

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:20 am

Poke wrote:Was Chris' excuse that he doesn't like chossy low volume ditches brought into service again :-)
Dude I've been creeking once in the past fecking month-and that was only on the Etive! Finding other things to do recently.... lame(but equally fun)!

Great pics Banzer!

Chris.
dam the dart :)

Grumpy Fisherman

Post by Grumpy Fisherman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:41 am

Wow - good work!

tfraser

Post by tfraser » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:02 am

Hi Banzer,what day to you get those levels.We looked at afew options on sunday but the only thing big was the upper blackwater at garve.The big water I suspect was on saturday..Great pics.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:37 am

Great stuff.

banzer

Post by banzer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks for your comments guys, feel free to join me anytime to test out your boat carrying system. If I'm feeling magnaminous I might reward you with the video of me proper stuffing up on a waterfall.

Here's another of the drops on the Lair (Saturday):
The next two falls on the Dundonnel (Saturday, getting dark!)- who's going to man it up? Nice stopper wave to deal with at the top too!
Spate boating on the Dundonnel, you can just about see Dom on the left:
The lower slides on the An Teallach Burn, from above- make sure to get out before crashing into the rhododendrons at 30 mph! This and the Gruinard- which holds water well after rain, being loch fed- we did on the Sunday.

Ok that's enough from me before I fill up all the ukrgb storage space!
Rich :-)
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:07 pm

Good effort! Where did you get out for the Dundonnell? After the big slides and before the manky drop under the bridge? Look any further? For others, the Dundonnel has a huge moor at the top that I imagine, keeps it nicely topped up. Those falls at the top are BIG....

The Little Gruniard is also worth a shot, smaller (obviously) that the big one, but a little longer and with one (probably) unrunnable syphon/boulder type drop above the road bridge.

Banzer, remember to keep notes on all the new rivers for the next (will be a while though) update of the SCA guidebook!
Neil Farmer.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Maybe it's because the graphics on this laptop are tired, or maybe the Dundonnel does not like being photographed? Either way your pics are better than the ones I took of Neil and Greig on it, when was that - Millenium new year trip? I didn't just get mist inthe pictures, it was all over the camera making everything blurry (well it was pissing down).

Will need to get back up there sometime with one them big fat boats and get some of those done, I now have accomodation in the area..... :-)

Jim

Marv

Post by Marv » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:50 pm

Nice work boys, looks like fun!

There was a bit of water about a bit further south too.
Soloed some of the Etive and much of the Nevis on Saturday, and did the Gleann a Chaolais and went trib bashing on Sunday.

See the blog on http://www.bigwethuck.co.uk..........

I wanna live in the Fort!!!!!!!

Marv

buck197

Post by buck197 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Shouldn't the mods move this sort of thread away from us desert ridden English dry boaters!! You couldn't lend us some water could ya., looks awesome.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:46 pm

Ah yes, now I have a decent screen in front of me I can clearly see that the Dundonnel photos have raindrops all over them. Clearly it is a river that does not like to be photographed!

Good haul of rivers!

Jim

Nwdave

Fairplay, but why was i not invited?

Post by Nwdave » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:05 pm

Good effort lads I'm free this weekend and most from now on and friday afternoons so if your up for creeking or even just a bimble down the leaven give me a bell.

Wallace_7

Post by Wallace_7 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:44 pm

I'm free Saturday too. We should try and hook up!

I paddled from Gairlochy to the BA on Saturday, you just don't know what your missing when on a mission up north Rich!

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Wallace_7 wrote:I'm free Saturday too. We should try and hook up!

I paddled from Gairlochy to the BA on Saturday, you just don't know what your missing when on a mission up north Rich!
Yo Gav, give us a bell and we can hook up and go boating-Banzer is away so I'm sure you could use his playboat...I'm playboating down the road from you at 10:00 Saturday morning if you fancy coming and throwing some shapes with me?
dam the dart :)

Wallace_7

Post by Wallace_7 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:54 pm

Only if there's no water! Otherwise lets get on a mission - I'll give cabbage a shout and let you know closer to the weekend

Gavers

Post by Gavers » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:24 pm

I hate you all. While you were off bagging fantastic rivers (not really even wee burns), I was stuck underground in the cinema working.... Grumble...

Still, on the bright side, I've still got a lot of life left to do these rivers myself :-)

Awesome! Great photos!

Gav =)
Paddle like AARDVARK!!

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:19 pm

The photos don't seem to come up for me.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:38 pm

So have you chaps got any more adventures planned? I'll be up your way in a couple of weeks and well up for something out of the ordinary.

John Kennedy

Post by John Kennedy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:39 pm

Me neither.
I beat the internet! (The last guy was hard)

Dom Pipe

Post by Dom Pipe » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:42 pm

have you chaps got any more adventures planned?
Skip - I'll put the thing cap on and fingers crossed a week long white water adventure, packed full of pies, tea, photo ops, and the all inportant down time will unfold into an unforgetable tapestry of human achivement, haha..... it might even rain!

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:10 pm

Sounds divine, I'm looking forward to it.

tfraser

Post by tfraser » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:38 pm

Dom or Banzer.On your first pic on the Lair how did the towback affect things in the pool above the slide also the next drop 50 yds down through a slot is it fun in there.cheers torq

Dom Pipe

Post by Dom Pipe » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:01 pm

Tfraser -
On your first pic on the Lair how did the towback affect things in the pool above the slide also the next drop 50 yds down through a slot is it fun in there.
Missed the drop above the slide out with a cheeky seal launch river left. The drop above the slide look grippy but deffinatly doable just got to come from center heading super hard right, duck the tree, plant the boof stroke and fingers crossed your at the top of the slide and not in the under cut where all the water seems to head.

We only ran a short section of the lair, 500m(ish) of boulder garden with 1 memerable drop, down to the slide. The rest of the river we scouted to the road on first arrival. The next drop through the slot looked way nasty ;-) The rest of the river Looked great apart from the drop / shoot directly after the railway bridge which looked sticky.

Hope thats of some use.

tfraser

Post by tfraser » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:04 am

Very cheeky seal launch an understatement,well done.I reckon a foot more water and both these dodgy features would drop a grade and run river right.many thanks torq.

tomcrow99

Re: Dom and Banzer's Merrie Weekend of Northern Highlights

Post by tomcrow99 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Just to resurrect this thread from the depths... we did the Lair on Saturday afternoon before heading to the Wet West party. Hiked up to the top Canyon and paddled all the way back to the Loch with no portages, levels were rising and by the end of the run it was a bit higher than Banzers initial photos. looking on the map it was about 220m of vertical over 2.5 km. Can honestly say it was probably the best run I've done in the UK. Amazing stuff. Pics and vid will follow no doubt.

Neptune

Re: Dom and Banzer's Merrie Weekend of Northern Highlights

Post by Neptune » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Paddled the Dundonnel, the Gruinard and the Little Gruinard two years ago when staying up here for a weeks holiday between a bit of sea kayaking aroud the Summer Isles. All three were smashing rivers and it looks like you had loads of fun.

Peter

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”