Best malaria tablets for Uganda?

Inland paddling
ian pooleman

Post by ian pooleman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:47 am

I`m not a doctor but am nearly one!

There is resistant malaria in Uganda but at the hospital I was at there were still several different regimes of drugs which were used on a regular basis that worked.

If you do get Malaria the local doctors will know the score with resistance in the area. Most of our patients were treated with one of the Artemether (sp?) based compounds or with good old Quinine.

Ian

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:24 pm

There are/were other (unregistered) drugs out there that some people swore by, again, there are choices.

I would, if I went again, take my own mosquito net with me. They did provide them, but the ones that they had had plenty of holes to allow little flies through when you were asleep!
Neil Farmer.

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:21 pm

Pete the kayaker wrote:
Chaucer wrote:It is not recommended that you put 100% Deet on skin,
By who? - Some people may have an adverse reaction but others will be unaffected. Try a test spot first.
Chaucer wrote:but you can put it on the outside of wristbands, trouser legs, boots etc.
Do not try this on anything made of synthetic material or you'll discover the amazing melting properites of DEET ;)
I believe the manufacturers don't recommend 100% DEET on skin. Agreed - I used cotton wrist bands, and cotton trousers. I have also melted a wash bag when some jungle formula leaked.
Nick Mawer

Will.S.

Post by Will.S. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:15 pm

"Is it true there is no longer 100% treatment due to recent new resistance?Holiday companies dont seem to realise this. Could a doctor comment?"

Yes there are resistant malarial parasites in Uganda/ East Africa. From my clinical experience I have seen resistance to both doxycycline and mefloquinine (larium). The p. falciparum strain which is found in 98% of the malaria cases in Uganda, is particularly good at mutating and resisting the new drugs.

See this webiste for more info http://www.malariasite.com/malaria/DrugResistance.htm

I'm not sure what you were trying to explain with regards to 'Holiday companies.' Companies who operate in East Africa are fully aware of the malarial situation but do not advertise this risk for logical reasons!

Some of the people who I've seen with "malaria resistant" cases tended to fall into the category of ###young traveler who cant organise taking prophylaxis on a regular timed basis###

Dr Will.

will clark

Post by will clark » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:06 am

Good advice, listen to the Doc's apparantly they know about this stuff!!

Just to clear up the rest of the unknowns for you, I live in Uganda. There's not actually all that many mosquitos around the bujagali area, and not heaps of Malaria.

I've used all three prophilaxics (sp?) in the past and I've had Malaria 3 times. If you're just heading out for a few weeks then take the drugs - otherwise non of us take anything. Those of us who get Malaria are those of us who party with nothing more than our boardies on and forget to spray. Those who don't are the clever peeps who spray and cover up.

So basically always sleep under a net. Use spray and you'll be sweet.

As regards to buying drugs out there, all the pharmacies in Jinja are sweet and you are actually buying the proper stuff. I've never come across anywhere selling dodgy drugs.

If you want to learn more about Malaria when you get there - go visit Jesse's clinic (softpower health), it's just 5mins walk from Nile River Explores camp. They'll tell you anything you want to know. And if you do get malaria - get Artanam - don't even think about quinine - it'll fuck you up.

See you all out there.

flea

Post by flea » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:04 am

A number of people got Malaria when I was out there last year, they were either on Doxy or nothing.

Larium/Mefloquine - (the once a week one) whilst for some people it just causes bad dreams (I woke a number of people on the campsite due to screaming in my sleep! Although to be fair I do that sometimes without the drugs!), it caused a friend of mine to suffer from panic attacks and depression (after using it with no problems on 2 other occasions).

Malorone - the expensive one. Reportedly the most effective. Probably worth the price. Don't buy it out there as, although you are buying the proper stuff, it is actually more expensive there!

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:36 am

I took malarone in Uganda and had no problems. The advantage was that I didn't have to take it for long before and after the trip. I had to take it every day but I was only going for five days so this was okay. If you are going for longer you might want to take one that you only have to take weekly.

Malarone can be expensive - I was travelling with an Austrian who paid €70, but my doc gave me an NHS prescription so I only paid about £6. The pharmacist said I was very lucky so I gather that this is unusual.

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:45 am

Caitlin wrote: Malarone can be expensive - I was travelling with an Austrian who paid €70, but my doc gave me an NHS prescription so I only paid about £6. The pharmacist said I was very lucky so I gather that this is unusual.
£6, jeez, that's very cheap. I got the doc to give me a prescription but it still cost me £30 a pack.

Ed Smith

Post by Ed Smith » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:16 pm

Hey Banzer,

Malerone for sure - More expensive but effective with no side effects.

Ed

ian pooleman

Post by ian pooleman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:41 pm

Caitlin wrote: Malarone can be expensive - I was travelling with an Austrian who paid €70, but my doc gave me an NHS prescription so I only paid about £6. The pharmacist said I was very lucky so I gather that this is unusual.
Was this GP a mate?? Thats a bit naughty of them as Malerone is not supposed to be prescribed on an NHS prescription, its supposed to be on a private prescription, then you need to shop around for the best price for the drug from pharmacies.

Ian

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:28 pm

steddyjames wrote: £6, jeez, that's very cheap. I got the doc to give me a prescription but it still cost me £30 a pack.
The difference is that the doctor can either issue a private prescription or an NHS prescription. The NHS one is printed on different paper.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:30 pm

ian pooleman wrote: Was this GP a mate?? Thats a bit naughty of them as Malerone is not supposed to be prescribed on an NHS prescription
No, I didn't even know that's what had happened until I got to the pharmacy.

I didn't know the difference at the time.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:30 pm

steddyjames wrote: £6, jeez, that's very cheap. I got the doc to give me a prescription but it still cost me £30 a pack.
The difference is that the doctor can either issue a private prescription or an NHS prescription. The NHS one is printed on different paper.

Will.S.

Post by Will.S. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm

Looks like he made a mistake... I wish the same had happened to me.

His practice budget will have paid for the remaining cost.

Dave @ TRC

Post by Dave @ TRC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:20 pm

What ever tablets you take don't fall for buying the box only buy what you need for the trip

It should of been 30 pound a box but only buying what you need for the trip including what you neecd when you get back saved us 15 pound pp

Also find out the tablets you want and get them on a NHS prescription
opposed to private as its cheaper

Dave
Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

WWW.THERIVERCREW.CO.UK

porlhews

Post by porlhews » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 pm

malerone is the way forwards in my opinion, but the regions in which you need to take it seem to be exagerated - that said, my mate went for a good six months in Eastern Africa without a problem. I'm not saying that he wasn't just lucky tho - so take that as you will.

Whatever you take I'd recommend having it in the morning with breakfast - I had quite a nasty experience when I took it just before bed with no food in me.

porl :)

banzer

Post by banzer » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:06 pm

Cheers all. I think I'll go with the Malarone then.

Five weeks to go woo hooo! Anyone else going to be out there?

Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

porlhews

Post by porlhews » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:11 pm

Alright Banzer, didn't realise you started this thread! How's things goin? Got a bloddy wisdon tooth coming thru - my first one ever, hurts more than childbirth* - you fancy sorting some way of me not going thru this?

*Not literally:)

richard2

Post by richard2 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:26 pm

I looked into it a fair bit before going. Eventually decided malerone was the best (although most expensive!) option. As others have said you only need to take it for a short time before and after, and i for one surfered no side effects at all.
I would also take a mossi net and some fairly strong deet repellent (at least 50%).

banzer

Post by banzer » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Wisdom teeth eh. Little buggers. Rinse with lots of warm salt water. Get some antibiotics from your doctor if there's swelling or you have a temperature. Alternatively get to Fort Bill for a boating trip and I'll deal with it! :-)
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Tuomas

Post by Tuomas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:58 am

banzer wrote: Five weeks to go woo hooo! Anyone else going to be out there?
Surely. I'm flying to Entebbe on 23th of November!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”