Safety at events

Inland paddling
Jay Oram

Safety at events

Post by Jay Oram »

Just wondered who did the safety at whitewater events. I know at slalom the coaches along the side carry throwlines and the first competitor waits for the next at the bottom of the course.

But do the BCU lifeguards cover events?
All the paddlers there carry throwlines?
Who are the people on live bait rescue?
Do they need WWS&R or something like it?

And how do i volunteer?

Jay

AndyK

Post by AndyK »

For the National Student Rodeo it's olds and friends of Leeds Uni who provide cover. Anyone compentant who volenteers themselves is usually welcome to help.

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer »

At the WetWestPaddlefest, the paddlers provide their own safety.
Neil Farmer.

box2k2

Post by box2k2 »

Historically the Dee Tours were done by BCU Lifeguards, and laer by welsh SRT teams.

NSR was done by BCU Lifeguards at one time, but has moved to a Leeds Uni, friends and volunteers arrangement.

Teifi tour is done with assistance from the Aquatic Rescue Colective (ARC). They have a yahoo group as a point of contact.

If you are looking for someone to do it for you, I would suggest try ARC then the BCU Lifguards and failing those, this forum for volunteers.

If you are looking to get into this, contact ARC or the BCU lifegaurds.

Paz

Post by Paz »

Exe Descent was done by the club that organised it, although they didnt seem to know very much about moving water......

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

I'm very much looking into getting into it - I want to help in the rescue services as well for floods(thats another disscussion) but have always enjoyed being safety at club events and marathon races (at weirs/rapids) and after being a lifeguard at the london triathlon I wondered how it all come about.

Jay

caveman_si

Post by caveman_si »

I'm very much looking into getting into it - I want to help in the rescue services as well for floods(thats another disscussion) but have always enjoyed being safety at club events and marathon races (at weirs/rapids) and after being a lifeguard at the london triathlon I wondered how it all come about.

Jay

Snap I was at the london tri doing kayak safety great event.

As for other events they are ususally done on an event by event basis. I helped a local club in liverpool do safety for a cross mersey swim the week before the london tri just cos a friend asked. But a lot of the big events like the london tri are organised by local clubs or the bcu lifeguards.

For more info on the bcu lifeguards try here : http://www.bculifeguards.org.uk/about.php

TT

NSR

Post by TT »

Jay,

As Andy says, competent volunteers for safety at NSR are always more than welcome. Give me a shout nearer the time if you'd like to help out,
Cheers, Tim

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl »

What do you mean by an 'event' in this context ? Most of the things
I think of as events have a degree of organisation by a club, to
provide shuttles, refreshments and general overall organisation, but
conduct on the river is up to the participants. Maybe you are thinking
just of competitive events, which is more BCU's sort of thing.

The Swaledale Outdoor Club organises the annual Swale Charity Paddle,
for which the information sheet specifically says that paddlers are
expected to be self-sufficient and provide their own safety cover (just
as if they were running a normal river). We try (but do not guarantee)
to provide 'assistance' at two rapids on the river, and this usually takes
the form of a couple of people with throw lines and a vehicle close by
in case people need getting off the river. One reason that we don't
make guarantees is that another hazard may materialise at short notice
and we may want to move our volunteers (as happened this year, when
a tree in the river posed a more significant problem than the rapid we
usually cover).

Swaledale Mountain Rescue Team (one of our supported charities)
often coincidentally have an exercise on the river both days of the event,
but they may be called away at any time, so are in no sense there to
provide rescue cover exclusively to the event. (A couple of years ago,
the rescue landrover was parked up overlooking the river, when a
motorcyclist crashed virtually at their feet, so they went AWOL for an
hour or two to take him to casualty...) This is typical of the
rather informal way in which event organisers attempt to provide as
much support as possible, but cannot guarantee it, so do require that
participants are as self-sufficient as they would be on a normal river
trip.

Andy

AJC Box

Safety Cover at Exe Descent

Post by AJC Box »

Paz wrote:Exe Descent was done by the club that organised it, although they didnt seem to know very much about moving water......
Actually 'Paz' that isn't quite correct. Exeter Canoe Club has always relied on volunteers from many local (SW) canoe clubs and from the Exeter sub-aqua club. In addition they have always had St John's Ambulance personnel on hand (and communicating by specially organised CB radios in the days before mobile phones!). It is a sad reflection on the modern day culture of risk assessment, blame and legal liability that Exeter CC has recently taken the decision NOT to run the Descent this year (and perhaps never again) as they can't guarantee the safety of competitors. Please don't slag off the volunteers who have helped this great race to run for over 30 years (including 1986, when river was monstrous!) without fatality.

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

I was just offering my services as safety at events in the future and wondered if the requirements were WWS&R/SRT/First Aid. I mean any event - club organised or BCU comp.

Any information on either would be of help.

Jay

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

The International Student Boater X was covered by some of the competitors, and a dedicated and spectacular team.

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl »

I was just offering my services as safety ... and wondered if the requirements were WWS&R/SRT/First Aid. I mean any event - club organised
Well, for our event the requirement is just that you turn up when you said you would and believe that you can contribute. All our organisation is supposed to be done by members, but we have had event participants do jobs before, so I don't see why we wouldn't again. I think our own insurance would only cover our members doing such jobs, but if you are a BCU member (or a member of an affiliated club), I'm sure the BCU cover would not leave you exposed. We probably wouldn't even remember to ask ... For the most part, anyone doing a useful job on the day is not going to be asked to pay to paddle, although voluntary contributions to our charities are always welcome :-)

Andy

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”