'paddlers for justice'

Inland paddling
Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

Okay

I go to university in Cumbria on the 21st September so i could arrange it for after that but will have to protest in Cumbria - Carlisle or somewhere, and the London event will have to be headed by somebody else.

I can still arrange the London event and co-ordinate it all but won't be there on the day. I will be in Cumbria.

little tim

Post by little tim »

kenna wrote: Also, how do we get hold of those brilliant kayaking is not a crime t-shirts?

Kenna
http://www.paddlingtees.co.uk/shop/wca/

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I think Caveman_si has a very good idea there- how many uni students are there who would be up for this? That could definately increase the number of locations the protests could be held. And there must be people on who read this who have links to the media?

phil_grice

Post by phil_grice »

Any reply from the BCU about this yet? I don't mind ringing to speak to someone about this, even if the answer is no to support at least we will know our position.

I don't want to go asking questions if there is already an ongoing dialogue though.

planet

Post by planet »

phil_grice wrote:Any reply from the BCU about this yet?
WHY?

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

I don't want to be seen as talking about the BCU behind their back or bad mouthing them so;

I have spoke to the Access people at the BCU

We have spoke about the idea

They have spoke some more...............& then some more.................

Basically they are talking about organising lots of events for raising awareness - from my point of view this is mainly in the canoeing community - but i have just had a small run down on what they are 'speaking' about so no detail really.

They haven't said we can't and have said they will talk to media if it happens to come to that.

Jay

morsey

Post by morsey »

I'd probably target the stretches of water controlled by the EA (ie flood channels, river drainage sections etc.) that currently have access for fishing but not for canoeing. It would be good to force the EA to have to come out in the media and explain its reasons for the inequality of the situation!

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

I've had a good chat with the BCU this morning and can say things are moving forward well.

Deciding the date is now the next task and all the paper shuffling.

Will post the date as soon as I have decided. Keep spreading the word, I saw the post on the river crew website, If it is posted on all the websites a lot more people will see it - well done, I am going to post the idea on as many websites I can find today so if I miss any feel free to post the details from the first post.

If you do post it on another forum can you please send a link to specialjay@hotmail.co.uk so I can keep them all up to date on what is happening.

Jay

p.s. Mark I hope its okay to ask people to spread the word on other forums, just want as many people to know as possible.

phil_grice

Post by phil_grice »

Great stuff, just happy we've got a dialogue going. At least we've got the wheels turning.

Duckboy

Post by Duckboy »

i've seen posts regarding this on www.letsgetwet.co.uk (Aber Uni) www.paddlepirates.co.uk (South Devon)

damn fine idea
http://www.duckboy.co.uk

C1 Stuff! - slowly being updated! (please use F5 to refresh the pages as its being screwy!)

RichA

Post by RichA »

Jay, I know you don't know the date yet, but could you give us an idea if we're looking at this summer or next summer please?

If you need a hand organising something in the South East then just shout (well, PM would be better) and I'll help however I can.

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

It will be before the October reading of the bill - hopefully one of the weekends before, i.e 1st/2nd weekend in October.

Therefore all the uni canoe clubs will be back together hopefully or atleast around after holidays and it's really close to the reading of the bill, also gives a chance to get paperwork through and advertise it.

Jay

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

I'm a retired Chief Superintendent of the Devon & Cornwall Constabulary. I'm also a life-long paddler with a collection of boats ranging from a Dagger CFS to a Valley Nordkapp sea kayak. I'm also thoroughly long-term angry about the access situation. I very much object to having to be furtive to enjoy what I regard as our birthright. (Early morning starts, preferably misty, dedicated driver to the put-in, two minutes to get on the water and get away...etc). That being said, I would advise that speaking to the local authority and police would make a huge difference to how any display would be received. I would suggest a letter be sent to the Chief Executive of the local authority, giving a suggested date and time, and asking for a recommendation as to a suitable location. I would copy this to the officer-in-charge of the local police station. A follow-up personal visit to representatives of both authorities could be beneficial. This is not a matter of "asking permission", but a mature way of diffusing adverse reactions. I give you two scenarios:

Scenario 1. The authorities have not been advised. Constable Bloggs has been allocated the beat covering the display. He may be new to the job, and may be feeling understandably nervous. He has no prior knowledge of the demo. He sees a bunch of guys on the pavement with kayaks. In accordance with his training, he tells them they are obstructing the highway, and that they must move away. They decline. One is arrested for obstructing the highway. Another intervenes, and pushes between them. He is arrested for obstructing the officer in the course of his duties. Bad publicity ensues.

Scenario 2. The authorities have been advised. Before going on patrol, Constable Bloggs is briefed by his Sergeant. He is told that about a dozen Kayakers will be holding a peaceful demonstration in the city centre from 2 till 4 pm to publicize the passage of the access bill through Parliament. The City Council is aware, and has recommended the location. Constable Bloggs goes on patrol, sees the demo, feels relaxed about it, chats to the lads and lassies on his way past, and disappears round the corner. No bad publicity ensues.

This is how it works in practice. A little consultation could change the whole outcome.
Nick.

quicky

Post by quicky »

Yep would agree. By chatting you also get the ' that location you want is a bit poor, how about here (right in the middle of really busy location) reaction sometimes'

rae

Post by rae »

This is probably a pointless post, as I can't offer help with organising or anything, but I just wanted to say I think it's a great idea, and if there's one in Birmingham I'll definatly be there in support, and rally as many mates as possible.

DannyT

Post by DannyT »

I'd be happy to assist in any south wales actions. Only one fountain I can think of in Cardiff... And thats out of the city centre. But standing around with full kit and boats is going to get some attention. From the masses of people who walk through the main street!

I'll post a link up on my clubs site see what they say and if anything comes to this.

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

nickcrowhurst

I understand tottally what you are saying, and the authorities will be contacted before hand. A 'protest plan' is being written and will be sent to everybody in charge of the events and they will just have to personalise it to their area.

I am talking to as many different people as possibleand contacting all of the authorities.

Thank you for the advice though and the concern,

Jay

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Jay, that's an excellent plan.
Nick.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”