Leaking Deck

Inland paddling
Steve Davies

Leaking Deck

Post by Steve Davies »

Hi,

HAving a problem with old deck on new boat. My YAK Kyro used to fit drum tight on my Whiplash, but seems to let water in on my new Dagger GTX.

Problem occurs whilst bracing & sculling for support.

Have tried the deck on the boat without me in it, seems OK. But have also noticed I am able to push the sides in under the lip of the boat.

Wondering if I need to buy a new deck, and if it would be better to buy one that has the longer seal under the cord (soory don't no the name for this bit).

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Steve.

Matthew Lomax

Post by Matthew Lomax »

It could just be due to the shape of your new boat means that that deck comes of slightly when your performing those skill. YAK Kyro is known as the universal deck by shops. I have one and often change across different boats and had knows problems.
PS. Sorry for anything misspelled.

Matthew

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

I've got a yak kyro deck and it has had hard use for two years now, coaching (so dragging boats acroos deck) and having kids climb all over it as well as a lot of whitewater. Can't find any holes and have had the same boat and dry cag for the two years and it has just started to leak.

when i stretch it out it looks really thin in places and has quite a few dents on the underside. I'm gonna buy a new one and keep it as a spare because it's only a small trickle it just bothers me.

Sounds like the same problem, especially if it's stretched more on your new boat.

Hope it helps

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

If you drag a boat across your spray deck, the cloth on the outside surfaces may stay intact while the foam neoprene inside gets damaged. The deck will look in perfectly good nick but will let water through when stretched taught.

As High Brace says, if you stretch it and hold it up to the light, you will be able to see if this is the possible cause.

Steve Davies

Post by Steve Davies »

Thanks guys,

Have checked deck up to the light, and your right. Its very thin in places.

We have spent the last month practising for the 3*. Lots of rescues etc.

New deck ordered this morning.

Cheers

Steve

morsey

Post by morsey »

If you put your boat on edge when rescuing, the upturned boat slides over and rests on your boat instead of on your deck and lessens the potential of damage to your deck.

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

Morsey thats true, but it is difficult to do that ten times with kids swimming around and shouting or if you have large rotobats fully sunk to rescue, it's difficult to lift it that far.

and after two years it is likely that rafting up and people holding on to the deck, it drying, sitting on it, catching it every know and again all brings a few digs.

Now what deck to choose?? :-)

Steve Davies

Post by Steve Davies »

Decided not to buy another Kyro, went for the Kraken instead.

Found it at Sue's Canoes, £5.00 cheaper than any where else + free delivery.

thustler

Post by thustler »

Kryos are rubbish decks I've had mine about 1.5 years now and it leaks like a sieve even though it fits sine on the boat I'm using.

morsey

Post by morsey »

High Brace wrote:Morsey thats true, but it is difficult to do that ten times
Go to the gym and get some guns! :-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”