options for the heavier paddler (diet)

Inland paddling
peanut

Post by peanut »

thanks SJ that gives me a lot more confidence in purchasing something. Some of the sea kayaks I've seen look like they run underwater most of the time lol.
I am not so worried about overhang now as i have decied to use my Mondeo rather than the sports so there is less of an overhang problem.
Hoping to find a second user to start with in case it turns out to be difficult to make the time or a 7 day wonder . Not many seen yet ,mostly small playboat stuff and perception dancers

paddleman

Post by paddleman »

No one has mentioned the Dagger Approach, a good stable boat which is short enough to be used on narrow canals and tracks well, it also takes loads of weight and is very comfortable.

peanut

Post by peanut »

Thanks paddleman looks like a nice boat but a bit marginal in weight capacity . I'd be right on the limit ( more under than on the water) it would be really easy for portage though which is good concidering my back but I'd be a little concerned taking it into the sea. I started out preferring this size but am now leaning towards a touring /sea kayak

paddleman

Post by paddleman »

It's way bigger than the G3!! It also has a large cockpit and will take more weight than it says. Being a cross between a recreational kayak and a whitewater boat, it has many advantages over other designs and has a very comfortable seat too.

peanut

Post by peanut »

yes I have gone right off the G3 way back. I am convinced my first should be a touring/sea kayak and not a small one. I started looking at small boats because of the length restriction but it no longer applies .
The manufacturers state 127 kgs and I am 113 kgs so I would be a bit concerned at the little margin here. Sure it will take more but then you are into the safety margin which is crazy if you don't need to be.

james_trigg

Post by james_trigg »

Have you had a look at the Dagger Approach? A good boat that offers a drop down skeg for directional tracking, a nice large easy access cockpit and gernally a good allround option. However if you wanted somehting for slighly longer cruises aloing the canel i would suggest you look at the Dagger Blackwater 10.5.

Happy Paddling

Regards

James

peanut

Post by peanut »

yes James that is what this discussion is about for the last few posts.
It looks like an excellent GP boat but I think its too short for serious day touring and sea kayaking for someone of my weight . It would make an excellent all purpose starter for me though and if I could afford two it would be my second choice.

edit
I have studied the specs again of the Perception Arcadia and the Dagger approach and the pictures I have are a little misleading. There is only about 500mm difference between them yet the Arcadia visually looks a lot larger and supports 50kg more weight which is a huge difference. I suppose its all down to volume ?

geoff.p

Post by geoff.p »

I weigh around 100kg. Jackson 4Fun is a great boat for play/river runner.
Wavesport Diesel 75 is great for the bigger waters.

I also know of others heavier than I. Also paddle 4Fun, and SuperStar

Your choice really?
Dr. Pawlatta,
aka 'expert swimmer'

www.squarerock.co.uk
www.tvfreestylers.co.uk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”