TomWardill

Post by TomWardill »

Try here: http://www.shaggydesigns.com/pictures.htm

Watch the video too!

geomore

Post by geomore »

The Duo has to be the best all-round boat ever made:

Creeking: Awesome (I'd guess)

River/Play: Great fun - makes every rapid that little bit more exciting, and playing on waves is great especially when the passenger is strongly opposed to the idea

Freestyle: See NSR event - The best popout machine ever made. Front loops, cartwheels a little trickier than more conventional playboat designs

Surf: A god. Paddled solo it is able to catch 1 inch sneezes, and run twin it will punch through the breakers to get out back. Note however, that extra light passengers may sustain arse damage when paddling out.

Every year i convince our club that "The duo is a necessity for the trip" but of course its a purely selfish request.

For an awesome duo guide written many years ago for our club magazine, see pages 18-19 of http://canoe.susu.org/canoedata/mouthfuls_dec2005.pdf
(Please note probably not very work safe)

Fatboy
Location: Hampshire. Not the whitewater mecca some would have you believe.

Post by Fatboy »

With regard to the playboating design thing, I remember YEARS ago in Canoeist magazine (some idea of the age, right there) a review of a composite duo style boat. A whole page of it, in all seriousness, comparing the ender-ability of this boat, against the duo. I'm afraid I can remember no more than that. Any uber geeks out there with the reference to hand?

(Clearly flat hulls hadn't been invented. Rodeo consisted of a 360 pirouette. The StuntBat, over 3m long, was a radical playboat. If anyone finds this "playboat design", those readers of the forum more tender in years shouldn't expect miracles.)
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Whilst the people posting here obviously don't, how come so many people consider the duo a total joke?

I took a (quite scared) young paddler down Washburn in it last weekend and more than once I saw people looking at me with total incredularity as to what I was doing, but the guy who came down in it with me got off with much more confidence.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

TheKrikkitWars wrote: I took a (quite scared) young paddler down Washburn in it last weekend and more than once I saw people looking at me with total incredularity as to what I was doing, but the guy who came down in it with me got off with much more confidence.
I've used them for exactly the same thing (I guess many do the same) and feel they're a great tool in the right circumstances.
But you're right -- lots of folk do regard them as a joke. There's even one regular poster here who doesn't seem to count swims from duos on his swim-tally as he feels it always "the other person's fault" apparently.
Giles

Poke

Post by Poke »

Randy Fandango wrote:There's even one regular poster here who doesn't seem to count swims from duos on his swim-tally
I get the feeling that wasn't directed at me (I don't remember previously denying the validity of Duo swims), but I agree with the general gist of the comment (though they just don't count, rather than allocating the blame to anyone).

Whilst we're on the topic: by your reckoning, should it be a swim if the other person bails, but you roll, only later to get swamped?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

furby

Post by furby »

I take topo swims only too count when running rivers. Swimming from a topo duo when playboating doesnt count.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Swimming for a topo counts if you and your partner can roll it, and it counts as a negative swim if your partner bails and you roll the swamped boat.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

richardlsharpe

Post by richardlsharpe »

Did anyone ever see the "Stotobat"?

Grandad Graham soldered the front of a Stunt Bat and the back end of a Rotobat. Worked pretty well for about half the North Esk...

Then later Wee Irish Pete built it into the Stoto Duo.

As for kayaks being dragged behind cars, for a small fee I can arrange a viewing of the original pilot/test drive round hill head in the snow. Possibly the funniest thing ever to happen in the entire world.

Ever.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

Poke wrote:
Randy Fandango wrote:There's even one regular poster here who doesn't seem to count swims from duos on his swim-tally
I get the feeling that wasn't directed at me (I don't remember previously denying the validity of Duo swims)
Not you Tim -- but maybe one of your Kayakstan chums...?? ;-)
Giles

Ian Anderson

Re: Topo Duo Hair Boating?

Post by Ian Anderson »

I remember running the diagonal in rapid nine on the Zambezi in one of those things in '98 I think I was with a bloke call Rughead.

The same year I took my future wife into the hole in 18 on the same river and stuffed her up. She was furious and bailed and swam the rest of the way to the take out, leaving me to paddle the swamped boat.

ion

Post by ion »

Well there was this run...I should mention that the front seat girl, had, oh, at least a year of class3 behind her....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=47 ... =3&theater

Madsalty

Re:

Post by Madsalty »

Jim wrote:
Shaggy designs did experiment with a play C2, I think it was called the Imperial Cruzer. The genius part (or not) was facing the cockpits away from each other.... I wish I'd seen it in real life, the photos were hilarious!

Jim
Here's the imperial cruzer in action at this years NSR:

Enjoy

JohnV

Post by JohnV »

There's that hilarious video of Anton taking a screaming girl down Itanda, and an old LVM of a duo on the Green: 'probably crash and burn'. But I consider Inchree to be one of the more hardcore rapids to have been paddled, let alone in a duo!

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles »

i tried one of these for the first time on flatwater a few weeks ago, with me in the back and Pez at the front, we could build up some speed, scull and roll. Someone should really build one with a less brick like shape, as said before a duo playboat, maybe without the price tag of a jackson...
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

nickbennett

Post by nickbennett »

Someone recently ran the big three on the green in a duo although I still think the Are U Completely Crazy AUCC duo antics are much more hardcore/stupid! That video is hands down the best Uni video ever made, even better because its not in HD.

Nick

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”