Sunnies for surfing and river paddling?

Inland paddling
MadHatter

Sunnies for surfing and river paddling?

Post by MadHatter »

I went to the opticians recently and was told I have scaring on my retina from sun exposure ( a combination of paddling and skiing being a major factor) and that I really need to be wearing decent sunglasses when ever I'm outside in sunlight. ( bring on the nosferatu jokes)

A scary thought at 23, but my main question is has anyone found any decent goggle style sunglasses that wouldn't fill up with water every time I roll?

The only ones I can find ( birdz mallards) have a neoprene rim which isn't a true seal and I've tried using standard sunglasses which tend to drain for a few seconds after you roll up and constantly fog.

Oh and polarized lenses would be a bonus.

Cheers,
Nick

George H

Post by George H »

Why not wear one of these!!!

I don't presonnally like them, i think they look a little silly. I'll stick to my rocker and squinting!

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

George, what the hell are you doing awake at such a silly time?!

Oakley Water Jackets + Rainex = :D

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

A decidedly weird looking solution, (although nice and cheap) is these by uvex,

They're called ultravison (in the full vison goggles section)
Lookie Here, or they do normal specs which will take a headband.

I've used some and they are great (yet to get a pair to take on the river).[/img]

Edit: added image for clarity
Last edited by TheKrikkitWars on Fri May 25, 2007 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

splash2

Post by splash2 »

try these they work really well GILL is the name

http://www.transmarine.co.uk/Category.a ... ry_ID=2157 - 63k -

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine »

Watch "EJ's advanced playboating" and see his promotion for Bole sunglasses, it should make you laugh if nothing else. "Hi there, I'm EJ, super-dupa kayaking champion of the world y'all!"...
dam the dart :)

jon a

Post by jon a »

I use a set of Oakley water jackets + rainex (because I got the stuff that came with them confiscated when I tried to take it on a plane!). They work really well and are comfy for me. One of my friends was going to get some so tried mine and they were uncomfortable due to his helmet sitting on the arms.

At the moment if you go to an Oakley outlet store you can get these quite cheap as a new model is in the pipeline apparently.

J
You learn something new every day, most times it is that what you learnt yesterday was in fact wrong!

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Thesehave to be some of the best sunglasses for paddling out there, I keep on trying to find enough justification for buying myself a pair of their prescription jobbies for surfing. As it is I just buy a couple of pairs of x-loop sunnies of e-bay cheep each winter and use a croakie or similar sports strap to keep them on.

Denzil

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

I've got a pair of those Seaspecs in a drawer somewhere. I can't say that I ever really got on with them, I found that they fogged up very quickly and that combined with my rubbish myopic eyes, meant that I spent far too much time paddling blindly into things on the river. They're probably better for surfing though where there tens to be a bit more of a breeze to keep the lenses free of condensation.

porlhews

Post by porlhews »

Manchester uni had this thing about aviators last summer in the alps - not sure where all that started out..... I suspect Captain Chris Lyon had something to do with it....

MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

Rainex as in the same stuff you get for cars?

So the general gist is, normal sunnies but treat them with rainex.

Chris C

Post by Chris C »

I found the Sea specs worked well in the french alps and whilst surfing, if your really hot and they are really close to you face yes they can steam up but a quick splash of water works well, or get the rainex to get mist free paddling.

porlhews

Post by porlhews »

everyone keeps mentioning rainex - what exactly is this stuff and where do you get it?

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Sounds like similar stuff to rainX water repellent.

Denzil

porlhews

Post by porlhews »

just googled a little (gotta love that google).

It sound like this stuff is some sort of perto derivative?? Some people on the internet sound dubious about how much damage it might cause to glasses, motorcycle windshields etc.

Is there any chance of rainex washing off and getting in your eyes? Surely that would be a bad thing?

I've never heard of the stuff until about ten minutes agao - perhaps someone can enlighten me?

(not that I'm fat)

Jim

Post by Jim »

I wear prescription glasses on the water and after a while you just get used to it, the same can be true of sunnies if you stick with them.

On the water I generally use prescription polaried sunnies, although last time I went for a pair they said they couldn't do polarising in my prescription having just told me my prescription hadn't changed (I smell a rat). My off the water specs are photosensitive these days, cost a fortune and good until it gets really bright - they never darken to the shade of my polarising pair and dont have the polarising ability to cut out extraneous reflected light. They also don't work very well behind glass (cuts out some of the UV they react to) so not very useful for driving, but great for walking down the high street popping in and out of shops and stuff, and probably a good idea for you generally if you need to protect your eyes - saves remembering to put your sunnies on when you step outside, because as i'm sure you have been told or discovered, even apparantly not bright days can hurt after a while if you have sensitised your eyes.

Oh, top tip for avoiding fogging - paddle somewhere warm :-)

Jim

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

mountainboy

Post by mountainboy »

I have some dirty dog sunnies called wet glasses, that came with a strap so you can wear them on the water, remove the strap and wear them to town.

try

http://www.dirtydog.co.nz/Frames.asp?ma ... p&size=320

EdC

Post by EdC »

Cool, I want one!! - anyone know who imports these to the UK?

I've only ever seen the type with no forhead protection which seemed to be asking for trouble/frontal lobotomy if you hit rocks (surf or otherwise).

Ed

helen_m_t

Post by helen_m_t »

Jim wrote: ...........On the water I generally use prescription polaried sunnies, although last time I went for a pair they said they couldn't do polarising in my prescription having just told me my prescription hadn't changed (I smell a rat)........
D&A told me today that they couldn't put polarising lenses into designer frames because the the designers didn't like the lenses to be changed from what they designed to go in the frames.

I'm not entirely sure that actually makes any sense not I come to think about it, but there you go.

Helen

Ed Lefley

Post by Ed Lefley »

I use the ones that Reed sell; at £25 a pair they're relatively inexpensive and stay put even when swimming on rapids (I've just been working on the Ardeche as a river leader)

They fog up a bit if you're not moving but as soon as you start moving again they clear up.

The only problem I find with them is they catch on the front of my helmet a bit (I use a WRSI) and so I needed to adjust the helmet so it sat back a bit further

chud

Post by chud »

Out of curiosity does anyone know who actually makes the identical seaspecs/reed/gill/aquasphere ones?

Lou Clutton

Post by Lou Clutton »

Ed Lefley wrote:I use the ones that Reed sell; at £25 a pair they're relatively inexpensive and stay put even when swimming on rapids (I've just been working on the Ardeche as a river leader)
Ed...I want some...sunglasses that is! You can have even more fun swimming down British rivers again now you're back!

I need something to hold my sunglasses onto my head! none of that silly string rubbish! I tried that and it didn't work...although that could be because I didn't do it right!

this post may or may not have been totally pointless :-s

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”