Anyone know what this is on the River Thames?

Inland paddling
JamesA

Anyone know what this is on the River Thames?

Post by JamesA »

It looks like a water processing plant's outfall onto the River Thames (see here), on the River Roding/Creekmouth confluence.

More to the point, is it safe to play on? Looks quite meaty from the overhead!

James.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

Yes - pretty sure its the outflow from the water treatment works (sewage farm) on the north bank, the equivalent of the similar one on the south bank a couple of miles downstream at Crossness.
Perhaps you don't want to go playing in it.....
Mind you, someone once pointed out that that probably makes it the cleanest water in the Thames!
Each time I've sailed past it when its been running its looked very rocky and shallow until the tides come in at which point its disappeared.
Giles

JamesA

Post by JamesA »

Randy Fandango wrote:Yes - pretty sure its the outflow from the water treatment works (sewage farm) on the north bank, the equivalent of the similar one on the south bank a couple of miles downstream at Crossness.
Perhaps you don't want to go playing in it.....
Mind you, someone once pointed out that that probably makes it the cleanest water in the Thames!
Each time I've sailed past it when its been running its looked very rocky and shallow until the tides come in at which point its disappeared.
Giles
Ah that's a shame.. and yes it would be a "toss up" between which is dirtier - Tidal Thames or a sewage outflow! Techically the outflow should be fine, but it is worth chancing?

Thanks for the info Randy.
James.

bigDave

Post by bigDave »

Becton STW

Clickty Click

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler »

Given that Thames Water have just pumped thousands of gallons of untreated sewage into the Forth I think I would give it a miss..

Their site rep was on BBC Scotland and basicaly admitted the fall back situation if the main pump failed in the treatment plant was to divert to sea.

Not sure if it would be a mystery move or misery movements playing on that one...

BoaterJH

Post by BoaterJH »

Plus you would not want to experience the mud all around that area of the Thames. It stinks, stains and seems to have a big sucktion on kit and people!
Joe H

caveman_si

Post by caveman_si »

BoaterJH Speaking from experince there mate? SOmething you need to share with us all? ;)

JamesA

Post by JamesA »

Given that Thames Water have just pumped thousands of gallons of untreated sewage into the Forth I think I would give it a miss..
Yeah, but given there dues, it doesn't happen at that degree all that often (or does it?).

Does make you wonder what the pathogen level is like in outfalls, safe or unsafe.

Anyway, what do I sound like? "Daddy, look at me, I want to go play in the sewage!"
BoaterJH Speaking from experince there mate? SOmething you need to share with us all? ;)
You wouldn't know the half of it! (just kidding, Joe!)
James.

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

It is perfectly fine to play in at the right tide levels. And although the water quality is healthy - as tested by the EA - you sure learn to roll quickly.

but it is a bit horrible to get to in a playboat, no real easy access and egress point, not to mention it's only good for an hour or so.

JamesA

Post by JamesA »

High Brace wrote:It is perfectly fine to play in at the right tide levels. And although the water quality is healthy - as tested by the EA - you sure learn to roll quickly.

but it is a bit horrible to get to in a playboat, no real easy access and egress point, not to mention it's only good for an hour or so.
Very interesting.. what kind of feature does it produce? When you mean not easy to get on in a playboat - is that because there is no eddy?
James.

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

like the flume at boulters is the kind of feature it creates.

there is easy access either side and tons of space for miles, but that is the same problem, from the other side of the thames it is a mile paddle if you can get down to the river to launch, and find somewhere to park and then a paddle, taking into the account the tide, down the river roding past the barking thames barrier and then turn right for about 1/4 a mile before the sewage outlet.

By the time you have done either, your feet are numb in the boat or the tide has changed. We normally just take a powerboat down their with the playboats on board, jump in play for an hour or so and go back down to the weir at barking for an hour or so play as the tide comes in upstream.

Someone else might know a better way and if they do i would like to know.

shot

abstract

Post by shot »

it looks to me like a man with a weird hair do. look at the outline of the water...
watch this space

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”