Flight to Uganda

Inland paddling
Tom Hodgkin

Flight to Uganda

Post by Tom Hodgkin »

Hi there. Does anyone know which airlines fly to Uganda and are they happy about taking boats? Do you have to go via somehwere to get to Entebe? Once there is it easy to get to the Nile? Any info would be great.
Thanks
Tom

Poke

Flights

Post by Poke »

HTML Comments are not allowed

Rob Yates

Easy as pie

Post by Rob Yates »

Getting to Uganda with a boat is easy. British Airways fly Heathrow to Entebbe(you have to land here) daily, to get the best deal book 2 months before you wnat to go on there website. Once you arrive just get a 2hour taxi ride to Jinja and either Adrift or Nile River Explorers. From there on in all is cool and very cheap. I am off on Thursday this week for two weeks. ANy more detaisl needed email robyates@hotmail.com

Phil Woodhead

Re: Excess Baggage

Post by Phil Woodhead »

I'm thinking of flying with BA into Lusaka for the Zambezi and out of Entebbe after the White Nile. £750(ish).
Book with BA themselves (internet/phone) since people like STA Travel can only book indirect tickets whereas BA will let you book the cheaper direct flight.

Baggage allowance is 20-23Kg. BA have no special policy for kayaks. You may get it on for free. If not 'surf boards' pay 50% of excess baggage charges. Else normal excess baggage at £25 (ish) per Kg.

18Kg by freight forwarder or UPS to Entebbe £250
18Kg by BA Cargo (by weight) £100
18Kg by BA Cargo (by volume) £700
I only spoke with BA carg on the phone so not sure which way it would swing.

I'm thinking of flying out a new boat, kayaking for 1 month and then selling it. Anyone interested in buying a boat in Uganda, say end of September? ;)

Does anyone know if you can hire a a descent boat out there? If so, at what cost?

NOTE: Prices may vary.

Tom Hodgkin

Road trip eh?

Post by Tom Hodgkin »

Hi Phil,
So you plan on doing a road trip with kayaks etc from Zambia to Uganda. What route were you thinking of taking? When were you thinking of doing this?
Good on yers
Tom :D

Phil Woodhead

Re: Road trip eh?

Post by Phil Woodhead »

Probably via Tanzania (climb Kilimanjaro en route) and Kenya. I'm guessing it'll take 3? days in all for the journey.

Thinking of flying out early/mid September, returning approximately 4 weeks later.

I don't have any contacts but there a while to go yet.

Tom Hodgkin

Logistics with boat

Post by Tom Hodgkin »

Were you planning on a group trip? The logistics of a road trip might be tricky with, say, 4people,4lots of kit and 4boats. It sounds like a great adventure and awesome fun :p but could be alot of effort and may take a long time, which may eat up your paddling time :| .
I have climbed Kili and it is definately a must do if you are round there!! As is somekind of Safari (Ngorongoro Crater is prob best in Sep).
If I were to try and do the Zambezi, Kili and Nile in one trip, I would fly to Lasaka, paddle the Zambezi, then fly to Kili. Int. then either fly onto Entebbe or maybe get a ferry across the Lake to Jinja if thats possible.
Tom

Phil Woodhead

Re: Logistics with boat

Post by Phil Woodhead »

Probably just me or me + 1.

Thanks for the advice. Any idea of cost to fly flom lusaka to kili?

Tom Hodgkin

lusaka to kili

Post by Tom Hodgkin »

been looking around for flights but as yet have found none from Lusaka to Kili. Might have to overland it to Dar Es Salaam then fly to kili from there. Kili to Mwanza 5times weekly for £50 then on to Entebbe by air.US$124weekly to Entebbe. This info is from the Tanzania guide book of '99 so will be inaccurate but gives u an idea. I think one can fly from Dar Es Salaam to Mwanza but if u want to climb kili then a stop is needed.
If you are looking for others to join u I might be interested.
Tom :D

smudger

Flights

Post by smudger »

British Airways Heathrow to Entebe

Sweet as, we took seven boats out and they were totally cool. On the way back we had nine boats, as a couple of Dutch paddlers were flying home, via the UK, on the same day. Again no problems and great service. Both flights were just about as easy as it gets!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”