Justified or not?

Inland paddling
Chaucer

Justified or not?

Post by Chaucer »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6570395.stm

What does the paddling community think about the way the volunteer coastguards have been treated?

What do we think about their reaction?
Nick Mawer

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

I think it is astounding. You would think that The Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Regulations 1998 would apply even if the staff are volunteers. I can't understand why this is not a legal requirement similar to that which applies to all other employers.
Last edited by Adrian Cooper on Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

The article seems to say that the MCA simply overlooked the insurance that its volunteers needed, and went with a govt. wide policy instead; that sort of oversight is absolutely appalling and I would consider the coastguard volunteer force totally justified in "striking".
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

Definitely justified. They are volunteering to put themselves in danger helping other people. I think they should be able to expect full insurance and compensation in the event of injury - and I'm shocked that they currently can't!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Interesting, perhaps the civil service is excluded from the requirement to carry insurance on the basis that the 'government' take the risk and pay for any losses. That someone working for this organisation can be neither covered by the benefit scheme nor the compulsory insurance provision is a significant oversight by the legislature.

Rikhensman

Post by Rikhensman »

To right.

They put themselves into dangerous situations to rescue people who have got into trouble (a lot of the time out of their own stupidity). They should be given medals not treated like that.

Ok it threatens the lives of those in trouble if they are on 'strike' but they are volunteers they don't have to be there at all.

I say support them so they are there and ready when we might need them.
The best glimpse of heaven is on the way into hell.

tweetypie

Post by tweetypie »

What do the RNLI do, as they are a part time volunteer service, who are tottally reliant on charitable money, have they bought there own insurance?

Dr Repper

Post by Dr Repper »

tweetypie wrote:What do the RNLI do, as they are a part time volunteer service, who are tottally reliant on charitable money, have they bought there own insurance?
It would be a legal requirement for them to have it. But then, they aren't part of the civil services. The coastguard are.
What's the worst that could happen?

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Yes, justified.
Steve Balcombe

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Having checked, the regulations are not specific but the advice from HSE publications is that the regulations do not apply to volunteer staff.

phil_grice

Post by phil_grice »

Definately justified. There was a radio interview this morning with a volunteer who smashed his knee rescuing someone from a cliff fall and can no longer work. The poor guy was left with nothing.

What kind of reward is that for someone who gives up their own time and puts their life on the line so that we can all feel safe?

Johnsonthenet

RNLI insurance/MCA activities

Post by Johnsonthenet »

The RNLI have a very similar insurance to firefighters. They are covered extensively.

The payments of anything following an accident is discretionary and is a loan not a benefit!

MCA coastguards are also expected to buy additional personal car insurance as driving from their house to the station is classed as working!

Support your local emergency services.

John

Jay Oram

Post by Jay Oram »

Surely they knew though, I used to volunteer in a local cave rescue team and i knew that the insurance didn't cover me. Therefore I volunteer knowing that.

They are right to strike to get it changed now they know.

I support the RNLI in everything they do and reckon they deserve proper insurance.

BoaterJH

Post by BoaterJH »

Joe H

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”