Roof rack

Inland paddling
erhouston

Roof rack

Post by erhouston »

I was in the Dart car park a couple of weeks ago and saw a car with some rather nifty folding uprights on the roofrack. Anyone got any idea who makes them and where they might be purchased from?

Thanks.

Mark R

Re: Roof rack

Post by Mark R »

Folding racks...

1] They are made by Thule.
2] They suck.

-----------Mark Rainsley

erhouston

Re: Roof rack

Post by erhouston »

Righto. Thanks. Will add one to my list of things not to buy.

River Honey

Roof Rack

Post by River Honey »

I got my Dad to make a set.

Much better and Stronger than the Thule ones.

If you know someone who does welding or iron work, I am sure you can get them to make a set. There isn't much to making them.

I am not using mine, so I would consider selling mine for the right price!!

Phil Woodhead

Re: Roof Rack

Post by Phil Woodhead »

Seconded: Thule folding uprights are pants.

Tip: If you do make uprights try and get them dip coated in plastic/rubber (they'll last longer and protect you boat and car a bit more). Failing that don't forget the gaffa tape and pipe lagging.

ol

Uprights

Post by ol »

Waste of time, they do indeed suck.

Tying one boat? upside down, stern towards front.

Two? cockpit to cockpit on top of each other or one stern to front, other bow to front and next to each other if they fit.

Three? we tie two cockpit to cockpit on one side then loop the next straps through the top side of the ones already tied on as if they were uprights then strap down the third boat on its side with stern at front.

Uprights just take up valuable space and use fuel.

Steve B

Re: Uprights

Post by Steve B »

If uprights take up space, how come I can carry four boats and you can only carry three?

Steve B.

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

4 boats without uprights is easy.

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

You know what I mean.

Steve B.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Uprights are great, it's the folding ones that are a waste of time.

Firstly the model in question is a big hoop, so when you thread the straps they always fall to the bottom to get tangled up and appear too short.

Secondly and more importantly, it's a gimmick to save fuel, but it reality it will make little difference if you have a rack with or without uprights on, to really save fuel you need to take the whole rack off.

Kayaks are stiffer transversly than they are vertically, especially duos, so getting uprights and loading on their sides should work.

In the meantime, carry another boat with it. Set the 2 boats up on the floor on their edge and wrap a short strap around the middle binding them together. Then lift on to the rack as one. Then arrange the straps that will actually hold them on the roof - and no you can't just take the centre strap off, the ones that go over the top don't hold the boats tight together making a stable platform, it does so leave it on.

JIM

waverley610

roofracks

Post by waverley610 »

www.mamut.com/homepages/U...bdet55.htm
strap on roofbars

So what exactly is the best way to carry 4 kayaks without uprights?

Jim

Re: roofracks

Post by Jim »

As I described for 2 on their sides, but with 2 sets of 2, or using the first 2 as uprights for 2 or 3 or 4 more if the rack is wide enough....

JIM

ol

uprights

Post by ol »

"If uprights take up space, how come I can carry four boats and you can only carry three?"

I can carry more boats than three, just thought that it was an obvious succession and I would not need to continue, obviously not.

Paddles - Get a buckle strap round each end of the shafts of your bunch of paddles, then just tie the whole bunch under the kayaks at the ends of the roof bars. keeps em all together nice.

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider »

In contradiction of the perceived wisdom previously posted, I'll say that folding uprights have their uses.

I alternate between carrying kayaks and mountain bikes. Having folding uprights means I don't have to take 'em off before putting 3 bikes on the roof. You can also use car washes (if that's your bag) more safely.

If you only carry boats or one or two bikes then use fixed uprights.
Nigel, aka Sub5Rider, Onioneer

Phil Woodhead

Post by Phil Woodhead »

You can also use car washes (if that's your bag) more safely.
I'm not sure using a car wash with a roof rack still on is something many people would recommend. No not good at all.

guy

hoop uprights

Post by guy »

IMHO you've lost the plot on this one

those thule loop uprights are the dogs pods

they are so easy to thread a strap into
just reach under your boat slip your strap around the upright at the bottom and flick it around the end of you boat and hey presto the strap rises to the top of the upright.
the hoop is also good for sliding your paddle into
and you can even fold them down to get your canoe on

and should you drive into your garage with them on
they will bend alot easier than normal uprights and do a lot less damage :( or so I'm told ;)

sub5rider

Re: hoop uprights

Post by sub5rider »

I'm not sure using a car wash with a roof rack still on is something many people would recommend. No not good at all.
Not a roof rack, as such. I always buy estates, and I only buy estates with roof rails or channels. And my Montego(s) BX & Xantia have all been thro' car-washes with roof bars on without ill effect. I wouldn't use a car wash if there was anything other than folding uprights in situ, tho'.
The C5 is just tooooo new to let a machine lather it yet.
Nigel, aka Sub5Rider, Onioneer

Mike J Kelly

Post by Mike J Kelly »

Alright then - what's the most number of boats anyone has managed to put on a car (safely) for a bona fide trip? To start things off I had 6 pool bats on the roof of an MGBGT (just from home to the pool) and one inside it.

Mike

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Sorry to be so boring and middle aged but I don't like overloading the roof. I once had a very low speed head-on crash and saw what two properly secured boats can do when they rip off the roof still tied together. Heaven only knows what a full load would do at speed, I hope I never find out.

Steve B.

Snooky

Roof racks and boats

Post by Snooky »

The Thule folding racks have been around for a while, and the old ones were better than the new style ( I think they are now called hullaports?). Already I know of 2 of the new ones that have failed.
Onto Mike's points, I regularly used to put 6 boats on the roof for pool sessions, and once after a friends car broke down I attempted to bring 8 boats back from Coombesgate, and the inevitable happened, Blackmoor gate looked lke a boat jumble................... Actually come to think of it, I have launched boats from the roof on several occassions over the years, moral of the story, drive in front of me.
Ah well, someone must have done it successfully???

jforder

excess of boats

Post by jforder »

6 is the most I've seen on one car roof, here's the story.

After paddling the Awe, we crashed into the back of another vehicle, 2 boats came off as we braked and we ran over one = destroyed, the other 2 came off along with the roofrack when we hit the car, ending up on the bonnet still secured to the bars. The car wasn't going any further but we managed to get someone we'd met on the river to take the boats to the Kingshouse to tell the rest of our group what had happened and to come and pick us up. They already had 3 boats on their car and 3 of ours made the six, the only reason he didn't take the seventh was because, having been folded at the bow, it wasn't long enough anymore!

Fortunately no-one was hurt and the worst part was the midges while waiting for a lift, apart from the club having to fork out for the broken demo boat and the driver who had her car written off.

Anymore shuttle disaster stories? Try this one for something a little bit more extreme www.kayaking.peak.org/pub...ttle3.html

James

Mark R

Re: excess of boats

Post by Mark R »

'Anymore shuttle disaster stories?'

Yup, anything that involves short cuts along forestry tracks in Canada...

...this road took us three hours to bash/ hack up, and whilst we were boating, my wife tried a different route back and became temporarily mislaid in the Bugaboo wilderness, during which period she also had to deal with a 'bear block' on the road.

-----------Mark Rainsley

River Honey

My old scooby wagon

Post by River Honey »

My Dodge caravan aka the scooby wagon, had six boats on the roof one inside and had enough room to safely shuttle all the paddlers as well.

Typical american cars though they are on the larger size!!

Sadly this has been replaced with a Jeep Cheerokee, The Scooby wagon didn't like mud or ice!!

Jim

Post by Jim »

Hmmm, Jacko might have to deny this but he did once have 6 boats on his Cortina and 6 people inside it after an upper Avon run. Roof racks were stronger in those days of course.

Trying to recall just how many boats we crammed onto a Blazer after a run on the Merced in 2001, I have a photo somewhere I'm sure, I reckon it was 7 though. We weren't going far.

JIM

conoroneill

Post by conoroneill »

Re: Most number of boats

6 polo boats (side by side) plus two polo goals piled on top of the lot.

I've also put 6 white water boats on the roof (plus 6 paddlers inside) for a shuttle on the Duddon, back in the days when 'small' boats meant mountain bats...

MikeB

Boat Count

Post by MikeB »

13 Europas on a Landy! Also had to drive past the local police station twice a day - mind you, it was in Ireland so all I got was a "morning" / "fine day" from the Guards each trip.

It was a lovely pyramid shape - kind of a long way down off the top of the pile tho :D

Mike.

Jerry M

disaster story - almost

Post by Jerry M »

coming back from Wales one saturday we had to stop quickly in worcester at some lights. The two boats on the roof - both big heavy LTs - this shows how long ago it happened! shot off the roof and boofed off the bonnet of the car. Still moving forward at speed, the boats took to the tarmac and headed towards the cars waiting at the lights opposite us. They both stopped just short of an old couple in a Metro whose faces said it all! We retrieved the boats put them back on the roof, apologised and ran!!

Mike J Kelly

Pieces

Post by Mike J Kelly »

My friend's dad spent a year or so making a beautiful open boat (out of birch bark I think). He drew up the design himself and hand - crafted it - it was a piece of paddling art.
On the big day it was dutifully loaded onto the roof rack and mate and dad headed off to the Yat to get it wet.
Of course it didn't get that far! Slid off the roof after a sharp bend - poked its broken self through a hedge!
Bits duly loaded back into the boot and two pieces strapped back on the roof - sad drive home at the speed of a funeral procession!

Mike

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

Travelling back up the Durance a few years ago in my wife's Corolla we had 4 boats upright on the roof rack, 1 hanging of each side (2), 2 flat on top of the 4 uprights and one in the middle above the two.

9 in total - using a thule system.

Only problem was the wrinkly roof, wifey was not too pleased.

Do you remember that one Mark seeing the well balanced car pass you on the Slalom Course (you that is not the car).

Chas

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”