Dam Spillways

Inland paddling
Poke

Dam Spillways

Post by Poke »

Does anyone remember seeing peaks 1d10t10c video of a few years back??

The opening bit was a couple of the guys doing a dam spillway 'up norf'...

I know where said spillway is, but does anyone know how often it runs, and whether its allowed (ok, a more sensible question is the likelyhood of being caught). Is, for instance, kayaking on the lake above it allowed ;) ? Did the peak boys get permission for their run?

Also, on the video one of the guys got stuck in the rather large hole at the bottom :eek . How nasty is the stopper? Has anyone else done this particular dam?

Not of course that I'm at all interested in doing it?!! ;)

stevewilford

Spillway

Post by stevewilford »

On Christmas eve two of us decided to head off and find said spillway. The girlfriends refused to let us take boats on the theory that we would probably hurt ourselves and ruin Christmas!

However we did find the spillway and it could not have been at a better level! Looking at the spillway itself, it looked just the same as on the video you mentioned. However the stopper at the bottom was tiny! Itstow back was maybe 1m at the most and it was kicking out to the river right (although it is closed in by high walls either side!).

At the bottom of the spillway it virtualy flattens out before you hit the stopper. We couldn't decide how much you'd slow down on the flat bit to see what speed you'd hit the stopper.

There is a small bridge right above the stopper and although a beating may occur, we decided in this level it would not be a major issue.

We couldn't find any gauges around the spillway but I guess the spillway would be affected by the level of the reservoir at the top and the bottom, which will in turn be affected by rain but with a delay.

I am sure the Peak boys will have gained permission but it certainly won't be "legal" If it were, everyone would know where it was and everyone would be doing it, followed by some numpty from the general public, seeing someone paddle it and slide down in a dingy (or similar craft) hurt them selves and sue the ass of the water company.

As for logistics if you wanted to paddle it, once you are actually on it or at the bottom of it no one would be able to see you. However getting on would be right infront of a house by the dam and in partial view of a major A road. In addition above the actual spillway is a rather awkward drop from the reservior into the channel.

I have it on my wish list, however its out of my way and I know if I decide to go and do it, it won't be running. If I am passing with all the right gear, maybe I'll jump on if its looking right.

Anyway, when we looked at it, we really wished we'd ignored the advice of the ball and chain and taken boats!! That would have made Christmas Eve a great one!

siwiles

Re: Spillway

Post by siwiles »

I think this ones been posted a few times in the past. Have a look / search the historic posts.

I've been there once. No water was spilling. It is pretty deserted up there, and if its raining, noone is going to be standing around for too long. Quickly jump on the reservoir (already in kit), paddle down, and continue down the river below to your waiting get away vehicle, would be my preferred method.

Looking forward to running this at some time, as it looks the best spillway I've every seen for fun factor.

riverfrankie

dams

Post by riverfrankie »

go on, give us clue as to where this dam spillway is, I only want to look, honest!!! :evil

Poke

Slides

Post by Poke »

Si - think you're talkin about the Llyn Brianne spillway in wales. This one is in the pennines somewhere but next to a main raod (we were driving over to manchester hence the reason I noticed it). Hence its not so much 'out of the way'.

I hopped out of the car for a quick inspection but didn't make it down to the bottom to see quite how big the stopper was. There looked to be a fair bit of water going over it though and the stopper looked a reasonable size even from the top of the spillway :eek

Certainly on the wishlist anyway.. May have to drive over to Manchester to visit my bro a few more times, this time avec boat! :-)

Forest Boater

spills & paddles

Post by Forest Boater »

If you're doing a spill way use your old paddles!!!! 30mph+ they wear down fast............

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”