Round the World

Inland paddling
Andy Milton

Round the World

Post by Andy Milton »

I'm planning a round the world trip starting sometime later this year. At the moment New Zealand at Christmas is a definite and I'm planning round that. I'm thinking Nepal on the way could fit in, although apparently you get lower baggage allowance if you go that way round the world.

Anyone got any tips? When's the season for South America (I know it's a big place)? Might that fit after New Zealand?

Also, I'm a bit short on travelling companions! Anyone going boating in Nepal or New Zealand this year?

Cheers,

Andy

siwiles

Re: Round the World

Post by siwiles »

When we did our RTW trip the baggage allowance was a massive 2x32 KG (try carrying all that!

This was a UK - India - overland to Nepal - OZ - New Zealand - Tahiti - Chile - Equador - UK (via Columbia)

No problem with boats, BA one world tickets, partnered with Quantas and LAN CHILE.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

You can paddle something or other in South America year round.

We did Feb in Chile, March in Ecuador. Brilliant.

Feb (we learned) would usually be at the end of the Chile season, but as we had unusual freakishly high water levels, we weren't concerned.

March is a little late for Ecuador as the rainy season was just kicking in and all the boaters had gone home. Again we didn't mind, as after eight months of boating we were pretty geared up for highish levels. The flash floods freaked us out, though...

-----------Mark Rainsley

Phil W

RTW

Post by Phil W »

Finish my job August (ish) and interested in asia /nepal / NZ.

I'm pissed and it's a bit late but will post again tmorow.

Phil

gwyn

Interested...

Post by gwyn »

Hi Andy.

I might well be interested in NZ, I have relatives over there!

Gwyn

stevewilford

NZ

Post by stevewilford »

I'll be out in NZ from Mid July to mid December, catching the end of the ski season and the start of the paddling season. If you're around at any point during these dates, let me know.

Steve

ruth

NZ next winter

Post by ruth »

I'll be over in NZ from the beginning of December '04 to mid-February '05. Will be based in Nelson for the first 8 weeks, doing a placement, after which I'm planning to travel around a bit, hopefully fitting in as much paddling as possible.

Mark R

Re: NZ next winter

Post by Mark R »

Just a thought on the RTW thing - I would suggest picking very few destinations and doing them well - at least a month in any one place. Hence, we did India, Nepal, NZ, Chile, Ecuador over eight months. What was missing was the USA - ideally we would have liked to continue the tour from Easter through to September working our way up the west coast. But job/ marriage/ finances meant that at the time, it had to wait.

The Musgroves did a whole year and went to about 200 different countries. I don't know what angle they'd give on this???

-----------Mark Rainsley

Phil W

Africa?

Post by Phil W »

Between work and getting drunk all week I haven’t had a chance to write more.

My job is due to finish end of June but since I’m maternity cover and it’s her first junior I think I might get an extra 2 months.

Starting to develop a plan:
Go to Africa and paddle Zambezi / White Nile.
Go to Nepal and India, paddle.
Go to New Zealand stay for three months over Christmas.
Ditch boat (sell / send home) and do touristy travel through Asia.

I’m looking at padding grade 4/5. Someone to boat with would be cool.

Major concern is about Africa? What areas are safe? Are the rafting companies still operating? Any contacts?

The FCO say ‘We advise against travel to certain parts of Uganda because of rebel insurgency and tribal clashesy’ and ‘The main tourist areas have been largely unaffected by political and social unrest, but we recommend travel with organised tour operators to well-established destinations’

Phil

jmmoxon

Africa

Post by jmmoxon »

A FRIEND OF MINE LOOKED AT FLYING FROM UGAnda to Vic Falls and found it was cheaper to fly back to London and out again. Flying out to NZ by so many other places will probably be very expensive unless you get a round the world ticket and dump the rest of the flight.

Mike

Andy Milton

RTW ticket prices

Post by Andy Milton »

thanks for all the tips! What sort of price should I expect for a round the world ticket? I've seen not much over £1000 for UK-Asia-NZ-USA-UK type routes but have heard that it's more expensive if you go to South America.

How much were your round the world tickets Mark?

Andy

Poke

Afrika!

Post by Poke »

I went to the Nile a couple of years back and there were similar government warnings.. If you're just sticking to the White Nile in Uganda there shouldn't be much of a problem. The majority of the problems I think are up north, and Bujugali Falls is a 'well established' destination used by many organised tour operators...

For more info on Uganda Jay's Site is useful. We actually flew into Nairobi and if you have time certainly look into a bit of paddling in Kenya too... Savage Wilderness Safaris (a small outfit but v.helpful) raft the Tana which is a nice warm up before the Nile... Whilst we were there we even managed to get in a nice first descent... Theres a few pics on AdventureTrippin.com... An amazing experience! The journey from Nairobi to Jinja is (I think) about 22hrs by coach and costs in the region of £20.. They will take your boat on the bus (it is africa of course!).. just turn up and negotiate a price!

The safety of the river in Uganda is nothing to worry about. All the rapids wash out into large pools, and I was there for a month and saw no crocs or hippos. A few rapids require more respect (itunda etc), but theres no pressure to run them and all the rafts get out for the worst of it anyway!

As for RTW tickets, I heard Bridge The World were quite good as you buy your flight in terms of miles covered, not number of destinations. Useful for kayakers due to the obscurity of some destinations! No idea how it compares pricewise to other flights though I'm afraid!

Have fun! I'm jealous!

P.S. Completely unrelated, but is it possible to automatically sign into this ezboard account from two computers? Ze computers at Uni sign in automatically, but I can't seem to sign (at all) in from home?? Any suggestions - other than me being dense??

Mark R

Re: Afrika!

Post by Mark R »

Poke - 'I can't seem to sign (at all) in from home'

Read the stuff under the link above, Using the Community pages' and see if that helps. Let me know if not.

-----------Mark Rainsley

Mark R

Re: RTW ticket prices

Post by Mark R »

'How much were your round the world tickets Mark?'

They cost £1200, would have been up to 400 quid cheaper if we'd bypassed South America. The standard rtw journey goes via the States.

Someone mentioned including Africa in a RTW trip - we couldn't make this happen...IIRC the rules were that we had to keep going east...and Africa is a seperate 'there and back' journey...we couldn't (for instance) go straight from the Zambezi to India/ Nepal.

-----------Mark Rainsley

Phil Woodhead

Post by Phil Woodhead »

Poke: Thanks for the tip about Kenya. I just checked and I've got a business card for James Savage, I'll have to get in touch.

I have started to find that making Africa part of my trip is not going to be easy, either that or very costly. Think I might have to re-think my destination schedule. Oh the joy of LA airport.

Phil

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”