Spean Gorge Take Out (Mucomir)

Inland paddling
Post Reply
WheresTheWater
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:22 am

Spean Gorge Take Out (Mucomir)

Post by WheresTheWater » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:15 am

Spean Gorge Take Out

- Be nice to the residents & they will be nice to you and thank you for it!
- Park legally & sensibly - if its busy, there are more parking opportunities further along the road.
- Change discreetly! (no getting naked in view of the houses!)
- Don't lean or hang stuff against the Power Station fence.
- Pick up litter - leave it cleaner than you found it.
- Minimize the number of cars used for shuttles.

The owner of the bungalow at Mucomir has recently been extremely helpful in discussing the access situation with the SCA and with local paddlers.

He has to live there 365 days a year, year after year, with more and more paddlers turning up almost daily all year round - so lets try to make it as pleasant as we can for him.

He has helped us clear the access path in the past and in general he is pleased to see people enjoying the river.

His house is directly beside the traditional parking area for the take out for the Spean Gorge and as such he and his wife end up getting inundated with paddlers parking all around their driveway and getting changed right outside their house. Please try to respect their privacy in this otherwise tranquil location!

Part of Jim's job is also protecting the property of the Power Station - this includes the fence so please treat it nicely so that Jim doesn't get any extra work-hassles! Best policy is - don't hang stuff on it or lean things against it.

The numbers of paddlers around Fort William aren't likely to start decreasing any time soon, so there will be more and more pressure on access points for popular rivers like this. Please keep this in mind and try to act accordingly.

We want paddlers to have a good reputation for respect and friendlyness, not a bad one - its up to you to make it work!

Thanks...

Danny_Y
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:41 am

Re: Spean Gorge Take Out (Mucomir)

Post by Danny_Y » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:24 am

WheresTheWater wrote:Spean Gorge Take Out

- Be nice to the residents & they will be nice to you and thank you for it!
- Park legally & sensibly - if its busy, there are more parking opportunities further along the road.
- Change discreetly! (no getting naked in view of the houses!)
- Don't lean or hang stuff against the Power Station fence.
- Pick up litter - leave it cleaner than you found it.
- Minimize the number of cars used for shuttles.
I have tried that every single time I paddle there. Yet, on three occasions that man has been abusive and has even started taking photos of me and my friends. He has accused different people on seperate days of leaving the same (rusty) beer can in the field by his house.

Rainman
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:16 am
Location: Somerset

Post by Rainman » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:38 am

Danny, you've got work to do. pipe down and unplug your internet

WheresTheWater
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:22 am

No Negativity!

Post by WheresTheWater » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:46 am

The aim of this is to try to smooth relations out, so please lets try and start a clean sheet.

Posting negative comments will only aggrevate the situation.

I recently met with him to put the new signs up and he took me on a tour of the Power Station. He's a really decent guy who just wants a quiet life.

Like I say - lets start a clean sheet. You be nice to them & they'll be nice to you.

Thanks.

User avatar
davebrads
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2002 11:42 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Post by davebrads » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:05 pm

It's worth noting that there is another get out about 200m further down, where there are no residents to annoy.

User avatar
james fleming
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:38 pm
Location: Braehead, Stirling, Scotland
Contact:

Post by james fleming » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

All good. Thanks for the update.

User avatar
neilfarmer
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 1:11 am
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: No Negativity!

Post by neilfarmer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:22 pm

WheresTheWater wrote: Posting negative comments will only aggrevate the situation.

I recently met with him to put the new signs up and he took me on a tour of the Power Station. He's a really decent guy who just wants a quiet life.

Like I say - lets start a clean sheet. You be nice to them & they'll be nice to you.
I cannot agree more. If I lived in such a 'tranquil location', I would be a little more than hacked off to see (even a few) nude, loud and inconsiderate paddlers! Lets be honest, noone else would park there!

Kenny, where is the recommended place to park, so as not to leave too many cars where the path comes up?
Neil Farmer.

User avatar
Will.S.
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:54 pm

Post by Will.S. » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:54 pm

We paddled the Spean gorge this New Year and parked the extra 200m down the straight bit of road.

The chap at the house took his time to drive down to us and thanked us for our consideration! I was really taken back by this!

I hope good relations and the peace continues!

slipperystav
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:07 pm
Location: Wirral and the North West
Contact:

Post by slipperystav » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Been a while since I did that stretch, but from what I remeber there is a large layby up the road near the enterance to the campsite. We parked my car here as there is tons of space. When we got out, all I had to do was walk up the road a hundred meters or so and roll it down. If we had more stength in us, I'm sure we could of very easily walked the boats up and changed at the car.

We got out just upriver of the stone bridge, climed up the bank and over a small wire fence at the top. Is this the (correct) egress point?
Shameless Plug:
Now setting up a Recombinant and Genomics Biotechnology Company. Checkout Recombitex.com for progress and if you want to invest money in new technologies

User avatar
Jim
Posts: 13869
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:14 pm
Location: Dumbarton
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:53 pm

slipperystav wrote:Been a while since I did that stretch, but from what I remeber there is a large layby up the road near the enterance to the campsite. We parked my car here as there is tons of space. When we got out, all I had to do was walk up the road a hundred meters or so and roll it down. If we had more stength in us, I'm sure we could of very easily walked the boats up and changed at the car.

We got out just upriver of the stone bridge, climed up the bank and over a small wire fence at the top. Is this the (correct) egress point?
Mate, I don't even think it's the right section!
(familiarity can lead me to overlook landmarks like campsites and stone bridges, but unless by the latter you mean over the power station outflow, then I can confirm there are no stone bridges over the Spean below Spean Bridge (there are remains of 2 bridges with stone piers but even then I'm not sure the decks were stone))

I agree with the suggestion of a spot 200m or so downstream of the usual takeout and I have been promoting this, but just to clarify, there are houses here and the closest has a large picture window overlooking the gate. The message needs to be to spread the load, change discreetly (no need for shouting and towel stealing), don't block access (to any gates or the road), and don't damage fences or properties (i.e. by leaning paddles on them or climbing over). We don't all need to use the alternative egress point, spreading groups between the 2 locations and finding other alternatives (leave a van at the takeout and put cars at the commando memorial, or scout out somewhere on the Lochy to egress) will be the best solution overall.

Jim

slipperystav
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:07 pm
Location: Wirral and the North West
Contact:

Post by slipperystav » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Sorry, yes, I did mean the stone bridge over the power station outflow.
Shameless Plug:
Now setting up a Recombinant and Genomics Biotechnology Company. Checkout Recombitex.com for progress and if you want to invest money in new technologies

Rikhensman
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:49 am
Location: Edinburgh

Post by Rikhensman » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:41 am

Will.S. wrote:
The chap at the house took his time to drive down to us and thanked us for our consideration! I was really taken back by this!

I hope good relations and the peace continues!
We had a club trip down the gorge in mid february and we parked our van down the road and just brought it up to load the boats in. The guy at the house was in his garden and looked a bit upset to begin with but when he realised we were only loading boats he seemed ok.

Would it be worth while trying to build a new egrees further down stream. I know its a long flat water paddle to get to get out anyway but another minutes paddle won't hurt.
The best glimpse of heaven is on the way into hell.

Post Reply

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”