Kayak Session

Inland paddling
Mark R

Kayak Session

Post by Mark R » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:46 pm

I have an advert in my inbox for the next issue of Kayak Session, including this preview...

Anyone else have a problem with it, or is it just me?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:49 pm

Would you be refering to the "Light in the heart of the Darkness"?

jonl

Re: Kayak Session

Post by jonl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:51 pm

MarkR wrote: Anyone else have a problem with it, or is it just me?
Yes.

Poorly chosen title without doubt, is the content equally suspect.

lou

Post by lou » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:53 pm

The writer obviously hasn't attended the BCU/SCUK 'Equity in Sport' workshop!

And yes I have a problem with it. Shame on them.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:54 pm

Whilst I'm sure it's not deliberate, it does seem inappropriate. Also, if I heard someone refer to the "heart of darkness", Uganda wouldn't be the first place that sprang to mind.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:58 pm

I should point out that I haven't read the article, just the title and associated image that makes me wince.

I have briefly met the woman concerned, I have no issue with her or her work.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

husky

Post by husky » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:01 pm

The world,s gone PC mad
Though My thoughts did the editor go to the Ron Atkinson School of race appreciation.
Steve
LET IT BE

woody

Post by woody » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:02 pm

Yep thats not been thought through so well has it?
Woody

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:09 pm

Obviously not deliberate, though a glaring oversight!

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:10 pm

While I can appreciate the comments made by others and see what the attendant issues are, I think it may be overally PC to judge without actually reading the article. Yes the title along with imagery from the photo do paint a slightly negative image, but what does the article actually relate to? In all honesty the "heart of darkness" phrase actually put me in mind of a song of the same title (where by the heart of darkness is his own, having lost his love) and I had to pause and physically think what other connotations it could imply. I would suspect that is an oversight on the authors/editors part and that we shouldn't judge to harshly until the article itself has been read as I often feel that society is so overally self conscious in its attempts to be PC and and health and safety conscious, that society as a whole suffers
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

lou

Post by lou » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:11 pm

Perhaps it was an attempt, albeit a poor one, to allude to Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness (Apocalypse Now)?

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:16 pm

James Hartley wrote:I often feel that society is so overally self conscious in its attempts to be PC
I'm not being self-consciously PC, it genuinely made me wince a bit...indeed I'd be concerned if something like that washed over people without a reaction.

The phrase 'Heart of Darkness' does of course come from Conrad, who used it to describe either the upper reaches of the Congo, or the inner recesses of our psyche. Even Conrad - apologist as he was for the C19 British Empire - had some inkling that something stank about white supremacist colonialism in Africa.
Last edited by Mark R on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:18 pm

I blame the French.

KS is editied by the French

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:23 pm

Tom_Laws wrote:I blame the French.

No its is not, it is edited by a team of native English speakers

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:26 pm

Joel and Philippe Doux. Joel has been the publisher of Canoe and Kayak magazine(France)since 1995,

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:28 pm

I thought KS came from the same publishers as the French mag, Canoe Kayak? Based in Lyon.

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:31 pm

MarkR wrote: I'd be concerned if something like that washed over people without a reaction.
In all honesty, it may have gone compley over my head if I hadn't been paying attention. The phrase itself has several references in "pop culture" it made me think of a song, it made Lou think of something else.
The picture itself, doesn't show much other than a bunch of people, stood around, one of whom has a big smile. And that is all I first saw, a group of people.
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

Will.S.

Post by Will.S. » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:55 pm

I must agree that the title is strikingly odd!

Im not sure what kind of double meaning the editor is trying to portray but judging from everyones reaction it does not appear to be clear.

I helped with Jessie's malaria prevention programme and at her health clinic this summer. I am wondering if the "Heart of Darkness" is an attempt to describe the magnitude of the malaria endemic! Which affects the Ugandans not just in terms of illness and death, but also the enconomic restraints it imposes on poor people who spend much of their money treating a disease which continuously affects them each year.

Perhaps the "light" is trying describe the mosquito nets she distributes. Which reduce risk of malaria infection by 90% and thus frees up a few shillings each year for them.

Knowing Jessie, I am not so sure she would have agreed on the title.

Will.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:58 pm

Tom_Laws wrote:Joel and Philippe Doux. Joel has been the publisher of Canoe and Kayak magazine(France)since 1995,
The Publisher is not always the editor, for Canoe Focus, the Publisher is the BCU and the Editor Pete at 2b graphic design is the editor and at CKUK Warner Group are the Publisher and Jason Smth is the Editor, for KS Toon is the publisher and Stan Ricketts is the current editor

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:00 pm

simon d westgarth wrote:
Tom_Laws wrote:Joel and Philippe Doux. Joel has been the publisher of Canoe and Kayak magazine(France)since 1995,
The Publisher is not always the editor, for Canoe Focus, the Publisher is the BCU and the Editor Pete at 2b graphic design is the editor and at CKUK Warner Group are the Publisher and Jason Smth is the Editor, for KS Toon is the publisher and Stan Ricketts is the current editor
Every day is a school day. I still blame the French.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:10 pm

simon d westgarth wrote:
Tom_Laws wrote:I blame the French.

No its is not, it is edited by a team of native English speakers
Not native English speakers they are American - just remember we are two countries seperated by a common language. Try asking for a fag when walking on the pavement and you will get hit by a redneck and arrested for Jay-walking!

oops has stan taken over - well he is South African and us Yarpies speak prefect english so I with draw the abpve!

Jessie Stones's work on Maleria is to be admired surely and not carped at over some PC probalmatic title to an article. SO many paddlers are happy to travel to exotic places have there fun and then just leave with their video of their holiday and move onto the next "best palce to boat"

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:25 pm

Dave Manby wrote:Jessie Stones's work on Maleria is to be admired surely and not carped at over some PC probalmatic title to an article.
No one has carped at her work.

On the other hand, I'm happy to admit I've winced at her work being reduced - carelessly rather than intentionally - to 'white woman saves unenlightened darkies'. No getting away from it, that's the subtext implied by this very unfortunate editorial choice.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Will.S.

Post by Will.S. » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:50 pm

I think if I had seen the title outside of this post then I would not have seen issue with it. Especially in the mag when the content can be read.

Whether you interpret the darkness as people, poverty, malaria or whatever it certainly shouldn't take away from her work or what she has to say in the interview.

Also it shouldn't take enthusiasm away from any paddlers interested in going out to Uganda and helping with the project or the many other projects currently taking off there.

Looking forward to seing what it has to say now!
Will.

Chris W

Post by Chris W » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:10 pm

I read an article about Jessie Stone a few months ago- I thought it was in Kayak Session. Having already read about the work she is doing out there I wouldn't have given the title a second thought, aside from asuming it referred to malaria.

Chris W.

PKY

Post by PKY » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:43 pm

I thought it was a catchy line and suits her very well, I was lucky to spend time with Jessie in the US and much time speaking about the work she does in Uganda.
It does scare me how people on this site can come up with a conclusion that it meant in an unPC way. It shows that you the reader is worse than the publisher or editor, shame on you!
Pikey

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:45 pm

PKY wrote:It does scare me how people on this site can come up with a conclusion that it meant in an unPC way.
No one at all has said that it was meant to come out that way. Try actually reading the thread.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

PKY

Post by PKY » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:43 pm

MarkR wrote:
PKY wrote:It does scare me how people on this site can come up with a conclusion that it meant in an unPC way.
No one at all has said that it was meant to come out that way. Try actually reading the thread.
Again I see you jumping to your own conclusion and believing that I haven't read the whole thread.

I guess I didn't explain myself clear. 'I feel it is poor that you could come up with the idea that it could mean something non PC.' (Still dont sound right hopefully you get my drift!)
(sorry I've not go a great vocabulary and struggle to explain what i try to get across sometimes,) Will go and find a theosaurus next time!
Great to see your living upto expectations Mr R.

Will.S.

Post by Will.S. » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:52 pm

PKY - why would you find it poor for some one to have interpreted that as non PC?

Does it not just show that we all see things from a different perspective?

ol

Post by ol » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:52 pm

MarkR wrote: 'white woman saves unenlightened darkies'. No getting away from it, that's the subtext implied by this very unfortunate editorial choice.
I think in the current climate we live in it is perhaps slightly unusual that the editors did not consider that people would come to this exact conclusion about the title, however, personally I think too much is being read into it all, and this is happening all too often these days. I doubt anybody could really be so foolish as to deliberately or even perhaps subliminally imply what you suggest Mark.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:56 pm

ol wrote:I doubt anybody could really be so foolish as to deliberately or even perhaps subliminally imply what you suggest Mark.
...and I agree.

I've spoken to the Kayak Session guys a few times, they certainly aren't idiots (or bigots, obviously). Sometimes things on the magazine page don't come out in print as intended, no one has suggested they set out to offend.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”