Travelling in Uganda/Tanzania/Kenya

Inland paddling
benlove

Travelling in Uganda/Tanzania/Kenya

Post by benlove » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice (from experience) on the best way for accessing money when travelling in Uganda/Tanzania/Kenya?

Thanks,
Ben

NIG

Post by NIG » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:38 pm

Hiya,

We took US $'s to Uganda then changed them for local at the bank when we got there..
£'s also work well!

Nig

little tim

Post by little tim » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:42 pm

At this exchange rate I think you'd do best taking GBP Sterling. avoid high denomination notes (Ie don't take 50's, just £20's)

Travellers cheques are worth paying the little money for if you might be at risk of having them nicked.

T

Will.S.

Post by Will.S. » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:56 pm

I went to all 3 on my way to the Zambezi this summer.

I had some sterling in cash and most money in travellers cheques in sterling! Sterling is as widely recognised as the dollar and you will not loose money changing it twice. But as already mentioned take £50-100 bill cheques.

I had 200 dollars in cash, and it was definately worth having for the odd thing like transit visas. Ensure notes are dated post 2002, as previous ones are not accepted due to fraud scams.

Take a visa credit card for emergencies. A life saver if you have underestimated your budget! Worth being able to pay it off at internet cafes too! Or have someone at home who can.

Have fun!

Will.S.

Post by Will.S. » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:11 pm

Sorry having just read it through again, I should carify this point.

Take high denomination cheques! Some £20 cheques are not accepted and will carry an even lower exchage rate.

With sterling cash, (in some places) lower than £20 is not accepted for exchange.

Make sure you take the reciept for the travellers cheques. Some banks will not validate the cheque without proof of reciept.

Any denomination of the dollar is fine! But again, a lower rate for smaller notes!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”