Waterfalls - required reading

Inland paddling
Mark R

Waterfalls - required reading

Post by Mark R »

'Rapid' mag is an excellent Canadian WW mag which we were into this summer. The whole thing is also available online, which seems commercially unsound.

This article on hucking waterfalls is well worth a read for starters...

Boof this!

It runs for quite a few pages, not just those first two I've linked to.

-----------Mark Rainsley
Edited by: guidebook at: 1/12/04 9:08 pm

neilfarmer

Re: Waterfalls - required reading

Post by neilfarmer »

looks great!
wish that the UK magazines would put up the (very old) issues on line to search!
Having the current edition online does seem a little 'trusting'!

Andy L

Failed boofs

Post by Andy L »

I will be carefully reading this article after failing to boof a couple of drops in Oregon. One of the drops involved a 20 minute boat rescue from a deep recirculating hole. Similar to Rob Yates' boat in the Erme slot on New Year's day.

The problem is how do you practice boofs when you live in the Thames valley.

Andy

Jim

Re: Waterfalls - required reading

Post by Jim »

The font is a bit small for me so I've just given up having finally found the second part of the article about the guy who accidentally boofed a 12m fall sideways. Must remember never to do that, especially since the 12 footer (that's 3 times lower) on brush creek that span me sideways and flat had me checking my back before I paddled to the eddy to get the camera.....

Looks like there are still a few good articles to read though.

JIM

Jim

Re: Failed boofs

Post by Jim »

"The problem is how do you practice boofs when you live in the Thames valley."

Go to Hurley, ignore the main wave and practice trying to boof off the tops of waves further down the wavetrain. I'm not saying it's ideal.....

Once you get the timing of the ups and downs you should be able to wavewheel your way down the wavetrain as well????

JIM

jbs

Re: Failed boofs

Post by jbs »

Anyone know any good falls in the lake district to practice on?

guy

lakes

Post by guy »

Jim

Re: lakes

Post by Jim »

Oh yes!

See where the yellow boat is below that rock? Because of the angle of the lip the river left breakout above the falls is only a couple of feet upstream of that rock (i.e only just out of the shots). It is also only big enough for 2 small boats so being 3rd in left me, well not really in it. I managed 3 strokes from the eddy to the lip (immediately right of the rock), the first 2 I used to turn round, the third to boof - notice that I had no space for a stroke to pick up speed.

Boofed very nicely into the maw, landed flat and just kept on going until I could feel the boat scraping along the riverbed, then popped up downstream. There was more water than in the first pics.

It would be a good practice fall, but don't get blase and make sure you have a bit of speed. Not crowding the eddy is a useful strategy (the others were able to paddle upstream out of it, I never got into it and could only go downstream). Probably even better when that rock is covered enough to use as a kicker ramp!

The best part is probably that you can see the fall from the Rawthey and I understand a lot of groups walk up to it from that trip if the Clough is too low in itself. Not sure if that is advisable for maintaining good relations with landowners though.

JIM

Mike

Re:lakes

Post by Mike »

Yup,

Make sure you hit the drop with some speed!

I didn't, after taking all the photos of everyone else doing it fine and I just floated over it rather slowly myself. A beating in the stopper, 3 attempts to roll and a dislocated shoulder followed!

mike

Poke

Re: Re:lakes

Post by Poke »

The only time I've ever done that drop on the clough it was dark and only one person in our group had done the river before... He mentioned there was a little fall somewhere near the end of the river... It wasn't that scary as we couldn't really see what was going on until we were 'looking' back up at it from the base of the fall...

Water I think was much higher than in the pics... If I remember correctly it was our 7th river of the weekend!!

Douglas Wilcox

Waterfalls

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

>would this fit the bill?

or this?
www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgenetics/eidart.jpg

Douglas

siwiles

Re: Waterfalls

Post by siwiles »

Don't Worry Andy, There'll be plenty of waterfalls for you to practice Boofing on in New England......

This has got to be one of my favorites, and is very safe...

www.kayakingphotos.com/al...age21.html

And also on the same river, something smaller, but a great boof

www.kayakingphotos.com/al...age16.html

www.kayakingphotos.com/al...age10.html

Hopefully we'll get multiple runs down this one, so there'll be plenty of room for video review of any screw ups

tomcrow99

nice...

Post by tomcrow99 »

Though I seem to recall its a prime candidate for UK Heliboating, requireing a 20km walk in or so! probably one of the most remote runable rivers in the country.
Maybe if im bored one afternoon!

Tom

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

www.kayakingphotos.com/al...age16.html

...Simon, surely that ended in tears.

Looking forward to joining you out there at Easter, I have high hopes of swimming more Vermont rivers.

-----------Mark Rainsley

siwiles

Post by siwiles »

Mark,

Surely you can see that I'm boofing to the left of the rock!

Anyway that is just the sneak route, the main line is a kind of pillow wave sub move!

neilfarmer

Re: Eidart

Post by neilfarmer »

http://www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgenetics/eidart.jpg

Is this what you were talkng about Tom?
Where is it? Runnable - deep pool? Scale?

Poke

Re: boof

Post by Poke »

On the subject of boofs.. And letterbox on the etive.. Check out this picture.. Classic Non-boof!
www.thepet.info/kayak/Sco...ofDoh.html

Jim - You might recognise this boat after helping to rescue it from the Roy the day before this photo was taken (thanks by the way!)
Edited by: Poke at: 1/13/04 6:54 pm

Jim

Post by Jim »

Si, that seems to have some passing resemblance to letterbox on the Etive! Like the letterbox, I can't see me running that very often :) Presumably from your description of the non-sneak move it is actually open downstream to the right unlike the Etive version???

JIM

magic knees

boof

Post by magic knees »

Andy, you're a brave man, paddling with us without a boof!! Why not join us on the Plym some time, for some nice, relaxed 'coaching'.....

Chris W.

Jim

Re: boof

Post by Jim »

I take it you found the boat easily enough then?

A real shame about the bridge over the lower Roy put in being taken down. Interestingly this is a strange outcome of the Scottish Land Reform - apparantly the owner decided that with the law backing people in roaming where they want to he was now in much greater danger of being sued if someone managed to hurt themselves crossing the ruins of the old bridge so has had it pulled down. I can't say I blame him, can't help wondering if some kind of action group could have been formed to renovate and maintain the bridge if people were regularly climbing past the barbed wire and danger signs and crossing it anyway, they must have had a need for it!

Should that be an update? Mark - no ruined bridge at the end of the Roy gorge/start of the Lower Roy!

JIM

Douglas Wilcox

Eidart

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgenetics/eidart.jpg

>Is this what you were talkng about Tom?
>Where is it? Runnable - deep pool? Scale?

Sadly Tom is right about the helikayaking, though Glen Feshie estate do shoot deer so they might rent a garron or two offseason for a portage in.

The falls are 12 metres high, the pool is very deep, the photo is low water, potentially if the water was high enough you could paddle all the way down to the gorge at feshie bridge.

this is upstream above the falls

www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgene...idart5.jpg

Douglas

callwild

Boofing the Lakes

Post by callwild »

The following rivers all have good boofing falls(GBF).
Upper Esk
Belah
Brathay (Skelwith Force) not such a good place to practise though.
Swale (Wainwath Force) By the road.
Kent (Sedgwick Bridge)
Duddon (Main Fall, Wallabarrow gorge. Front Cover of WWLD shows how NOT to boof it)

Stuart

Mark R

Re: Boofing the Lakes

Post by Mark R »

It's not in the Lakes, but this is a great spot to practice your boof...

The plunge pool is about 18 inches at its deepest. Hence, the apprentice boofer can get instant feedback on the effectiveness of their boof.

-----------Mark Rainsley

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”