Live bait banned in scotland

Post by quicky »

Live bait banned in scotland

Just for information only

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ngle07.xml

Jean Claude

Post by Jean Claude »

does the ban include hooking boaters
Why complicate things by using two blades.

Unstabler

Re: Live bait banned in scotland

Post by Unstabler »

Wow!
Green Party MSP Eleanor Scott wrote: "Anglers won't like me saying it, but fish do feel pain and we felt there was a cruelty issue here."
If you follow through the logic, surely it can't be long before they ban fishing outright.
Paul (Un)Stabler

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Unstabler wrote:If you follow through the logic, surely it can't be long before they ban fishing outright.
That won't happen for a bit. The hunting ban only went through to divert media attention away from bouts of unpleasantness in the East, and look how far that's got....

Unstabler

Post by Unstabler »

Tom_Laws wrote:
Unstabler wrote:If you follow through the logic, surely it can't be long before they ban fishing outright.
That won't happen for a bit. The hunting ban only went through to divert media attention away from bouts of unpleasantness in the East, and look how far that's got....
Actually, I doubt it'll happen at all. Just going to be difficult for people to undestand how using a fish as bait is cruel but using a fish as prey, just for the sport, isn't.
Paul (Un)Stabler

meatballs

Post by meatballs »

Mark Barrett, the general secretary of the Pike Anglers' Club of Great Britain, said: "To have the law change like this on your doorstep is going to be a concern for people in the rest of the UK."

If only...
The politicians also believe live bait threatens fish stocks by introducing alien species into their habitats which may bring diseases and parasites.
This is probably the major reason, the news just likes to emphasize other areas!
Ben

alana

Post by alana »

quicky wrote:Live bait banned in scotland
Much relieved after reading the linked article - at first I thought the HSE had got uppity about rescue techniques.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

[quote="meatballs'']
The politicians also believe live bait threatens fish stocks by introducing alien species into their habitats which may bring diseases and parasites.
This is probably the major reason, the news just likes to emphasize other areas![/quote]

Not that I know much about angling but I understood the procedure was to first catch a small fish and then to use this to catch the larger one. I would be surprised of anglers turned up at a river bank with a bag of live, alien fish ready to use as bait. Perhaps they really are good at getting ping-pong balls into bowls.
Last edited by Adrian Cooper on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Sorry to say, but I know at least one angler who keeps a stock of bait fish in a rainwater butt in his garden and brings out a bucket to the river. Don't imagine he is the only one either.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Am I the only one who thinks this adds a new element to the cruelty aspect of angling?

MattBibbings

Post by MattBibbings »

What a lot of nonsense!

It is certainly ring-fenced logic where only a slight shift in the goal posts makes one thing illegal and another an 'economy'. Im not pro fishing - I am pro everyone havng a good time and if thats putting a hook in the fish, hey, Ive done it and enjoyed eating the proceeds.

If i was a fisherman i would be saying

"This makes no sense! If I am here to try and get a hook through one of these things while its under water, why cant I do it when its above water anymore?"

If I was an animal right campaigner i would be saying

"This makes no sense! If it is now illegal to put a hook in the fish when its above the water, why can they still do it below the water?"

When I catch a fish its cos I'm hungry. I hook it, land it and bash it on the head in with a cosh to kill it. How is that less cruel than hooking a small fish to catch a bigger one?

Like i said, I'm not pro or anti fishing. I'm pro having fun.

This sort of legislation is so full of double standards its laughable. Lets hope they stay away from boaters or next we know we'll be ok to capsize by accident but if we intentionally jump in the river it' will be illegal. It amounts to the same logic as they have just applied to the fishermen.

Kayaking Villan

Post by Kayaking Villan »

On a side note to this have people seen the new anti-smoking adverts on TV showing people with fish hooks in their mouths being dragged along by the hook?
I wonder if this will have any effect on numbers taking up fishing or people's attitudes toward cruelty in fishing?

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

merlin wrote: When I catch a fish its cos I'm hungry. I hook it, land it and bash it on the head in with a cosh to kill it. How is that less cruel than hooking a small fish to catch a bigger one?
The logic was working well until this point. It seems as if you are advocating hooking a fish, getting it to the bank and quickly dispatching it to reduce its suffering to a minimum. Not quite what I agree with but a reasonable standpoint. But then you go on to suggest that you catch a small fish, get it on the bank, stick two or three tripple hooks in its mouth, along its back, tie it up with line or whatever, then you dangle it in the water, squirming for an hour or so until it gets eaten by a larger fish. Conjours up an image of the hanging drawing and quartering method of execution so beloved of medieval 'civilisation'. But you must also remember that this is not usually done for the purpose of feeding the family, it is more usually done for what is bizarrly described as 'sport'.

I am pleased to see the new TV campaign, it might just give people an idea as to how nasty a business angling is.

Bruce Jolliffe

Can of worms

Post by Bruce Jolliffe »

Scientists are divided on the issue of whether fish can feel pain.
Could this spell the end of the hyprocrital practice of all those fish eating 'vegetarians' too?

Rev I.MacArnivore

twopigs

Fish

Post by twopigs »

Will this impact on Oxfam? They use a slogan something like:

Give a man a fish, you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime.

Although in the Western world this has become:

Give a man a fish, you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish and he will sit on the bank and drink beer for a lifetime.
[/i]
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

I am pleased to see the new TV campaign, it might just give people an idea as to how nasty a business angling is.
That's a bit harsh. Surely a nasty business is commercial fishermen who drag millions and millions of fish (large, small, edible and non-edible) out of the sea and leave them all to suffocate on the decks and holds of their ships and who are also depleating the stocks of many fish species to possibly a point of no return. I am sure that does'nt stop you from eating fish and chips, fish fingers, fish cakes, fish pie and a multitude of other fishy dishes.
Whatever the 'friction' between paddlers and anglers (and I am both) it must be said that both groups (but particularly anglers) have done a huge amount for the enviroment (although there are always the idiots the spoil it for the rest).
Last edited by rockhopper on Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank B

Post by Frank B »

Just for interest, live baiting in Ireland has been banned for many years and they have the best pike fishing in Europe, it is a major tourist industry.

I wonder what Martin Salter MP is saying on this ? defending the indefensible as usual probably.

Frank

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

rockhopper wrote: I am sure that does'nt stop you from eating fish and chips, fish fingers, fish cakes, fish pie and a multitude of other fishy dishes.
Actually, yes it does.

Adrian Cooper

Re: Can of worms

Post by Adrian Cooper »

24061314 wrote: Could this spell the end of the hyprocrital practice of all those fish eating 'vegetarians' too?
''Let he who has not sinned, cast the first stone.''

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

Actually, yes it does.
Fair point then......

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”