Inland paddling
Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:17 pm

I have no idea. Should I be concerned?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

tomdowns

Post by tomdowns » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:27 pm

MarkR wrote:I have no idea. Should I be concerned?
I have no idea if you should be concerned or not, it's just that I've always thought it's a good idea to keep your lid on whilst on the bank. Wet rock has a habit of being slippery and kayakers have a habit of being wobbly so there's always the chance of falling in! However, I've never met you so it's entirely possible that you have gecko like abilities when it comes to scouting.

Tom

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Liz, Andy Mc is quite right. This is the first season that he has managed to run the Upper without a single swim - he is getting very good at being T-rescued though!

Kevin

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:30 pm

TomDowns wrote:Mark, how come you don't have a helmet on whilst your scouting Euthanasia?
Well obviously he was taking his hat off to my stupendous line down Euthanasia.
McDoom wrote:Not that it matters because it's all good giving it a go, but I heard that you swam 3 times and walked Euthanasia and Pandoras.
Yeah well, at least I didn't have my Mum with me.

Jeez, no wonder Heather, Alice and Lisa refuse to paddle with you lot....

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:34 pm

Brilliant - my eyes are watering I'm laughing so hard!

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:52 pm

kevinf wrote:
Brilliant - my eyes are watering I'm laughing so hard!

Its like reading the Leeds forum!! Genius.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:06 pm

tizereyes wrote:Yeah well, at least I didn't have my Mum with me.
Inspired.

Liz, you just became an honorary bloke.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Daffers

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...!!!

Post by Daffers » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:10 pm

MarkR wrote:One anomaly of the past weekend was that Liz and I met a red-haired dancing girl when we climbed off the loop on Saturday afternoon.
Hehe.. Told you I would say hello if I saw you...

Sorry to not catch up more...

Have to say that, that run down the loop Saturday was wicked fun!!

My group happen to be good to ok paddles, much to David's joy! It meant we could blat it down, and have fun... We'd all done the river before, but I've never paddled in that much water!

I really really enjoyed it! On a personal note, it was possible one of my best paddles to date (When I did a section of the Tavy the other week, that was big & bouncy, but a it scary!). Best one for feeling good! I had one wobble, but thats as far as it went! I didn't struggle on anything. It was all such good fun!!

We did it on 1 hr 15. So the rest of my group went and did it again - I didn't want to rish fate and risk swimming!! As someone else did, hehe!

This was also the first WW for someone and she did really well!! Four swims and a walk round triple steps, but the main thing is that she walked off the river with a massive smile, to almost rival mine!
JP Lives Forever

Jim

Re: Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...!!!

Post by Jim » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:38 pm

Daffers wrote:Have to say that, that run down the loop Saturday was wicked fun!!

My group happen to be good to ok paddles, much to David's joy! It meant we could blat it down,........

.......We did it on 1 hr 15.
Is that fast?
Can't remember my fastest run (never really timed it), but I know while we were getting changed one time 2 of the guys shuttled up and ran it in wavehoppers in about 20 mins flat and that may have included the drive up! :) I guess you played a bit - I would!

Jim

Ms McDoom

Post by Ms McDoom » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:53 pm

Liz

Well done for clean sailing your first decent of the Upper Dart, regardless of what the 'men !' might say !

you are right........no wonder we dont paddle with our partners !!!

Unfortunatley, we had to abandon the idea of paddling with our partners as the sight of tears and tantrums was too much to live with!

We did however allow them to accompany us on the (middle) Tavy, on the one condition that, on no account they didn't ask us "does my bum look big in this spray-deck ?" and that they didn't crying like girlies in an eddie before a drop. Luckily all went well . We might even consider paddling with them again. !!!!

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:46 am

You all have me to thank for the decent levels you've been enjoying. Once I'd decided to spend the weekend diving in Scapa Flow on these blighters:

....loads of rain was bound to be the order of the day!
Giles

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:15 pm

Randy Fandango wrote:You all have me to thank for the decent levels you've been enjoying. Once I'd decided to spend the weekend diving in Scapa Flow on these blighters:

Giles
Presumably you had gales up there (the rest of Scotland did) and didn't even get a dive in? That would be doubly annoying!

Jim

McDoom

Post by McDoom » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:15 pm

More and more I like the idea that women should be seen and not heard.

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:05 pm

McDoom wrote:More and more I like the idea that women should be seen and not heard.
Oh Andy, what a poor loser you are. I expected more of a fight than that!

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:49 pm

Jim wrote:
Randy Fandango wrote:You all have me to thank for the decent levels you've been enjoying. Once I'd decided to spend the weekend diving in Scapa Flow on these blighters:

Giles
Presumably you had gales up there (the rest of Scotland did) and didn't even get a dive in? That would be doubly annoying!

Jim
Oh yes, we had those gales.... They made flying into Kirkwall last thursday "interesting" in a small-ish prop-plane.
In fact the only days we didn't get to dive were that thurs afternoon and at all on saturday. Otherwise, we had three excellent days diving and the storms were only an issue trying to do five metre safety stops (up and down like a yo-yo) and trying to clamber up the boat ladder, fully kitted up. Oh Lord.....
Back to paddling this weekend......
Giles

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:02 pm

Giles
Not at all, I will take the credit if I may, as I have been creekboatless since last Thursday.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:31 am

mendipmammoth wrote: I will take the credit if I may, as I have been creekboatless since last Thursday.
Well, the whisper was that you certainly ended up creekboatless at some point on Tuesday..... ;-)
Giles

'Whiskers

Post by 'Whiskers » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:26 pm

We did it on 1 hr 15. So the rest of my group went and did it again
:-) My group ended up taking ages, a few swims but mostly it was more trying to teach our newbies skills on the way down and trying to keep out of the hair of other groups on the river. Plus I haven't paddled the loop for well over a year and I always forget what's coming up! My patience was rewarded with a storming run down the loop on Sunday morning - awesome! I don't know about freshers walking around triple step, but I nearly did on Sunday, couldn't see a bloody thing with the sun pouring all over my face!
Is that fast?
It's not bad, especially with a reasonably diverse range of abilities/experience levels... We did however do it in about 35 minutes on the Sunday!! :-)
never stop exploring...

buck197

Post by buck197 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:44 pm

Just as an update on the Dart levels as I was driving past today, it is over the ledge at Newbridge by about 6 inches (male measurement of course) at noon!!!!! It was also lashing it down so expect the river to be good for the weekend as more is forecast.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Slim999

Post by Slim999 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:49 pm

I must agree that as my first trip to the Dart was last weekend, it was excellent, did the upper on saturday, totally ballsed up euthenasia falls!! Went on to do the loop on sunday, trees down made it a very long shuttle.

Wish it was closer, I would be there more often.

Couldnt resist this photo at the park, seemed to be the normal get in / out point?????

Daffers

Re: Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...!!!

Post by Daffers » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:24 am

Jim wrote:
Daffers wrote:Have to say that, that run down the loop Saturday was wicked fun!!

My group happen to be good to ok paddles, much to David's joy! It meant we could blat it down,........

.......We did it on 1 hr 15.
I guess you played a bit - I would!

Jim
We didn't play as such, but eddied out and stuff.. Was just superb fun. My group went on to run it again and with a swim, in 38 minutes. Happy all round!
JP Lives Forever

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”