Info on South Wales rivers needed!!

Inland paddling
Kitty

Info on South Wales rivers needed!!

Post by Kitty »

I'm taking a group up to the Brecons next week mostly around 4* standard and I'm looking for grade 2-2+ rivers that have good coaching spots on. Planning on 3 days paddling, and we're staying near Crickhowell.

So far I've got:

Usk (Sections between Sennybridge-Talybont and poss. Crickhowell-Abergavenny),
Monnow (R. Honddu confluence-Great Corras bend) and
Wye (Rhayader-Llanwrthwl)

Any good ones I've missed out, or any shorter sections anyone knows of (these are all around 7-8km, which is more than I wanted for intensive coaching)? I've only gone by info out of this site and the Sladden guidebook.

Thanks in advance!

AliceB

Post by AliceB »

Thisk....That's the Beacon's Jen, not the Brecon's (one's enough of them...South Wales couldn't handle the extra squaddies). Have PMed you with some ideas.

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley »

On the Usk, Sennybridge to Talybont is a long way,

This is what we took some freshers on a few weeks ago in this order..

Talybont-on-usk to Llangynidr, 2hours+
couple of km of flat, a few eddyline spots to practice on, an easy broken weir, mill falls which is easy run left, or paddle straight over the drop (small toe-back in medium water. not nice in high water) few more slightly interesting bits, left is best at the fork, then the take out bridge.

Sennybridge to Aberan Bridge (Farm), 3hour paddle

Continuous easy paddle (few trees to watch out for) with good coaching spots, 3 drops that are easy and exciting for numpties. generally easier than the above section.

The last drop, (biggest, very low water level here, apparently bit horse-shoe like in higher water)
http://www.scumbagz.net/gallery/albums% ... k-1600.jpg

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

There is a good get out at the bridge at Llanwrthwl but it is not an agreed access point and we were challenged by the fisheries manager when we got out there. It does involve dragging boats across the private field to get to the road. I understand access is OK at Newbridge but this is quite a bit further.

Pete the kayaker

Post by Pete the kayaker »

Dave Wortley said
Sennybridge to Aberan Bridge (Farm), 3hour paddle
<Pedant mode on> I think you'll find that's "Aberbran".<Pedant mode off>

However, the info is good. Note that the parking is a little limited there if you've got a group (it's best to use the layby on the A40 which is often busy at weekends and the walk up the lane can be a little hairy). You could always continue another 5km (making it a 4-5hr paddle) to the carpark on river right just as the Usk flows into Brecon.

If you want a shorter, closer section of the Wye try getting on at the footpath (Steps down to the river) near Erwood at GR077444 and run down through 'Hell hole' getting off at Boughrood (that's "Bockroid") bridge. You can park at Boughrood School (but only at weekends) or the pub.

Dave - I think "Numpty" is probably a bit unPC when referring to 4* standard trainee boaters, novice is more acceptable. I guess you may have been one not so long ago ;)

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas »

Pete the kayaker wrote:You could always continue another 5km (making it a 4-5hr paddle) to the carpark on river right just as the Usk flows into Brecon.
Sorry to be pedantic, but the carpark ( I presume you mean the one above Brecon weir) was still river left, where it always has been, when I was there last weekend.
Dave Thomas

Pete the kayaker

Post by Pete the kayaker »

Doh - The old rule about posting corrections still applies.

Yes, river left of course.

I was there with a group that week end also. We may have seen you - we were in the blue Transit.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”