De-mystifying UKRGB

Inland paddling
RachW

Post by RachW »

My username is RachW and my real name is Rachel Walker.

My boyfriend is caveman_si and I paddle with him and lots of people from Liverpool uni CC. Hardly any of them post on here. those that I know of are hhzoombird and willazone. I've met Whiskers through an ex-Liverpool paddler (Sue) who paddles with Reading now. And after reading her post I think I also met Higgsy at St Davids this year. And Daffers in the pub..... I recently met Poke when he joined us on our freshers trip to the lakes. And I've spoken to Slime on the phone cos I'm organising some things for him!

That's hardly any compared to some on here.......hopefully that'll improve in the future. Have fun paddling :-)

james fleming

Post by james fleming »

Hi, my user name is james fleming and my name is James Fleming.

I am 38, married with two great girls and have one grandchild.

I stay in Stirling Scotland and have been paddling since I was 16. Yup, still learning but feel I am still fit and paddling the best in a long time see these picture here

Anyway started at 16, thats me on the left
preparing for the Arctic Canoe Race. This was during July and August 1985. I was the first British paddler over the finishing line, after five days paddling a total of 537 Km. I was also, at the time, the youngest paddler that paddled the whole course without portaging any of the rapids. Oh, I came in 20th in an over all time of 53 hours 10 minutes and 18 seconds.

I am very proud of my achievements during 1985. I don’t know if this race is still on but would give it a bash again for old times sake. As for the boaters…I haven’t been in touch since.

I have paddled therefore in Scandinavia, Canada, Germany, French Alps, a lot in Scotland and planning a trip out to Slovenia next year.

I have a very heavy respect for the water and was lucky to walk away from two trips with my life. More recently on the Spean, after a mega release from the dam at Laggan. Iwrote a short brief on the whole episode here just to share experience with other paddlers. Again eternal thanks to Craig Dearing and Ian Letton they will always be at the top of my Christmas card list.

On stories, I have written a few from some trips we have done. This is another one here Now, I know I am no J K Rowling, but everyone’s got to start somewhere. So after a time writing other stories I branched out in to film production and started “PAW PAW PRODUCTIONS” at Planet Paddler An example of a PAW PAW PRODUCTION is here

All that and said I paddle with councildog g man and honeydog.

Professionally, I am a Health Safety Environment and Quality co-ordinator for a company called Landmarc. However, I only do this to fund my paddling social life.

Paddling is escapism that only we will know about. The warmth of the water (in Scotland?), the calmness of the Loch or eddy, the reassurance of the brace that supports all your weight, the challenge of organising trips afar, bring new folks into the pastime, running a full on enchilada knowing its win or lose, sharing experiences it is all New York, London, Paris, Munich which only we know about.

I love Paddling!

adrian j pullin

Post by adrian j pullin »

User name Adrian J Pullin. Real name Adrian J Pullin.

Been paddling for about 15 years. Started on rivers in kayaks. Now do easy rivers (grade III), sea and open. Been coaching for almost as long, mainly with Peninsula Canoe Club based on Wirral. Most of my coaching (and paddling actually) is running 4* courses for the club.

I had the privilage of being pulled out of the Guil with dislocated shoulder by Bertie (of this group), Ray Goodwin and Pete Knowles (both occaisional visitors here).

I finally met a few of the others (Sharky, saw Douglas Wilcox talk etc.) in this forum at the Storm Gathering, which was excellent.

Tuomas

Post by Tuomas »

james fleming wrote:Arctic Canoe Race. ... I don’t know if this race is still on but would give it a bash again for old times sake.
The race was unfortunately discontinued about 10 years ago.

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. »

adrian j pullin wrote:I had the privilage of being pulled out of the Guil with dislocated shoulder by Bertie (of this group), Ray Goodwin and Pete Knowles (both occaisional visitors here).
I'm sure the privilege was all ours.. ;-)

Bob Flanagan III

Post by Bob Flanagan III »

Bob Flanagan III = Stuart Reeve

Don't ask me about the name, it is a long story.

I paddle with Waverly610 and Fatty at Croydon Active Paddlers though I do have to admit that I haven't been that active on the water recently much to Mr Waverly610's disgust.

I am 33 and have been paddling since I was 10 where I started out in a fibreglass Comanche at my local Scout Troop. Soon after that time, I discovered windsurfing and became a speed junkie. After numerous knee operations I returned to the delights of Kayaking about three years ago as my body could no longer take the abuse that windsurfing was throwing at it and haven't looked back since. I have met quite a few of the people on here at various play spots on the Thames and on the river.

I look forward to meeting more of you hopefully

Bob Flanagan III

john-boy

Post by john-boy »

My name's John Hillier, I've been lurking here since my sixth form days, when everyone was still on UKRBP (just before it was ruined by the dreaded 's' word and others)

Since then I've paddled with Bradford Uni and Leeds Met Uni, but I don't think anyone I know from those clubs post here aside from Leeds Met's 'The Chuckster'. I've also had a drink or two with a few Reading Uni paddlers/cling ons but aside from one or two I'm not so great with names.

I now know from previous 'outages' in this thread that I met Stoneweasel in Polzeath last weekend (I was the semi-drunk begging for ticket money) and exchanged a few emails with 'Whiskers about the same event.

That's it for me I think. Maybe I should make more of an effort to be sociable!
[River Legacy - Website - Facebook]

'Whiskers

Post by 'Whiskers »

I've also had a drink or two with a few Reading Uni paddlers/cling ons but aside from one or two I'm not so great with names
That will have been Ben Ward, Hairy Olly (+ girlfriend) and Higgo - don't think any of them post on here :-(
...exchanged a few emails with 'Whiskers about the same event
Ah-hah! Everything clicks into place... My apologies for missing the trip, just looked at the photos this morning and you guys look like you had a blast :-) You coming to the Teifi Tour, perchance...? Your chance to be more sociable!!

Oh, and I think I missed out Hedgepig, v sorry... Currently frantically writing his pHD thesis in S'hampton and using it as an excuse not to come paddling with me! Bah!! :-)
never stop exploring...

john-boy

Post by john-boy »

'Whiskers wrote:Ah-hah! Everything clicks into place... My apologies for missing the trip, just looked at the photos this morning and you guys look like you had a blast :-) You coming to the Teifi Tour, perchance...? Your chance to be more sociable!!
Was a very good weekend, hope eveyone enjoyed it as much as I did. Can't make the Teifi I'm afraid, bit of a long drive from Leeds and I think I'm playing white van man for Leeds Met. Good luck with the weekend though!
[River Legacy - Website - Facebook]

ERU

Post by ERU »

My username is ERU but the real name is Steve Delaney (aka Welsh Steve) aged 26 adventure geezer extraordinaire. Heh this is like alcoholics anonymous.

I try to avoid paddling rivers as it dangerous and find climbing isn’t but since I went to Worcester Uni no-one was any good at that, so I had to find a new sport. Unfortunately I became an addict and try unsuccessfully to balance the both financially. The fact that the rugby season has just started means I am often injured or aching during the week but the kitty funded nights out help to relieve all the stress.

The only reason I’m reading this thread is because I am too scared to press ‘send’ on the PGCE application I have just spent the day completing. I know I’m going to have to press it sometime in the next hour, as I have no career hope left in anything else but …

I think I know a few people on here but try not to talk about computer forums on the river or in the pub to avoid the danger of being labelled a geek. Hence I have no idea who is who.
I live near and paddle with the Paddletastic crew in Coventry, so I’m guessing a good few of them come here. In fact I have just remembered we are all going to Scotland tomorrow and better pack something soon. I’ve been trying to keep that at the back of my mind as I discovered that everyone else has nice big volume boats now and I can only afford an S6. Feel free to have a wip-round.
I know that I know Baylo, Pablo I think, madocks, zapod, IanJohn, paddletastic2 and npierce. I usually get a summer season ticket to the river Tryweryn, so possibly know a few more. Anyone else I know let me know too as I’m interested now!

I will probably take no notice of this thread ever again but I have an idea to make sure folk might return. How about someone sets up a UKRGB ‘Saliva Tree’ of all the current members?

*Guy*

Post by *Guy* »

So, I'm Guy Genge and I'm at Durham uni where I paddle with Phil..., MattC, and others. With DUCC I've also paddled with Poke, JamesC and Alexa.

The other weekend MPooleman and friends gave me a lift to the Student Safety in Wales where there were lots of people...

Over the summer I went to Africa where I met MonkeyToucher, WillS (I think) and Sam w

At the start of the summer Skip gave Adam and myself a lift to Liquid Life. God (who, along with Pete the Kayaker and ELefley I first met at Adventure Dolphin) was in the car too. On the way back we stopped at RobRoy's house and ate pizza (thanks).

A while ago I went to Italy and met JMT, Callwild, and (I think) Guy (a different one).

mark s

Post by mark s »

Username is mark s, real name is Mark Spraggon. 37 years old and been
paddling for about 10 years. Been logging onto site for a while now but never really felt the need to post anything.The lads i tend to paddle with up here in the north east dont tend to post on here but i find the site very handy for river reports ect. I mostly do the local rivers and get out into the surf at tynemouth or roker a couple of times a week, self employed
so i dont have to pull sickies or stuff.[/b]
Experience is something you dont get till just after you need it

johnnygold

Post by johnnygold »

Real name - Jonathan Goldthorp. Live and work in Stirling. Paddle with the guys in Stirling Canoe Club. Been paddling just over four years. Had three trips to Canada in that time. Want to move there.... and not just for the boating. Mountain Biking and Snow boarding are high on the agenda.

In the short time I've paddled I've met some great people... many of who have become good friends...

See you on the water...

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Me and Poke threw a rope to Johny Gould on the Morriston.

I met someone who proffessed to be MarkR a few days ago, but it can't have been, as he didn't hit me.

Dave @ TRC

Post by Dave @ TRC »

Hi Im Nightshift real name David George based in Warrington Im 36 years old have been back paddling for two years now building back up to my best have been paddling on and of for 22 years all the nutters I used to with paddle don't any more .I started paddling at my local play areas like JJs at first on my own as I had know one to paddle with. At JJs I have met, Jacko, Stinky Pete, Linsam ,filo , Two Matt's not sure of there user names ,Husky, Gathering new paddling Buddy's as I went as I said I was on my own and theres around 15 of us now of various degrees of skill and paddling experience Dam that's almost a club lol . Have met lots of people from the guidebook not gonna name drop they have all ready said they've met me and I whould not want to leave anyone out . Had great times with them all the wet fest In Scotland was top just like the Mike Jones weekend of old everyone should get up there next year .

I look like this say hi next time you see me The dent in the front has gone now but thats the only cammo burn in the uk so im told so you cant miss me .

And off the water I look like this.
Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

WWW.THERIVERCREW.CO.UK

Dave T

who's who

Post by Dave T »

Name- Dave Tinnion (newton_riggs_finest)
Location- Carlisle
Age- 20
Years paddling- 10+ (early start)
Type of paddling- Steeper the better
People that post on here i paddle with-
JMT- my dad Mike Tinnion.
The bear- Tim blundell, he is short and loud from Penrith!
Flez- Graham Fleming from carlisle club.
Kwantas- Tim Kwant, ex CCC now in Glasgow.
HAM- Hugo, Islander- Paul, Kretha-Mike and Danbo- Dan from Newton Rigg Paddling Club.

I have paddled with a couple of well known people but I hate name dropping/ droppers :-) You know who you are...

Dave
Last edited by Dave T on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Nightshift wrote: the only cammo burn in the uk so im told so you cant miss me .
Or can we! ;)

Dave @ TRC

Post by Dave @ TRC »

mendipmammoth wrote:
Nightshift wrote: the only cammo burn in the uk so im told so you cant miss me .
Or can we! ;)

Don't camp near me in the dark its lethal arrrr especially after a drink or two LOL

Dave.

PS I am told some guy in the US tried to take one back cos it wasn't very visible. err just don't fig-er ??? ain`t that the pont lol
Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

WWW.THERIVERCREW.CO.UK

husky

Who am I

Post by husky »

My name is Seve been paddaling for 4 months go out with Nightshift and guys who all have been helpfull and understanding of my swimming exploits 42 and live in Warrington RAC patrol have a blue and black burn.

Andy123

Post by Andy123 »

Hi im barrittcake(Christopher Barritt)
I’m 14 and have been paddling about two years and I paddle with Ade P (Adrian Powel)

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

aliceg wrote:I have been to Turkey with Chas and Graheme (no idea how to spell his name, or what his forum name is) and their sons

... and I'm a research Neuroscientist working in London (waiting for an analysis to finish so I can go home), but originally from Dublin
Alice, its Chas C (plus Rich) and Graham B (plus Andy).

Andy is now in New Zealand taking a 6 month (paddling/working) break before Uni. Rich hasn't paddled since Turkey - too busy studying (he says).

AliceB

Post by AliceB »

My name is Alice Beetlestone (which is a fun name to have when you're a teacher!)

Up until recently I was based in Bangor so Paddled with that crew Mitch Carl Mitchel, Rosie Cripps, Tea Boy Tom Parker, Mendipmammoth Tom Laws, Grupmy Boater Toby Swallow (an even better name to have when you're a teacher! Love ya tobes!), George Boy Homes, Saltorio_Kensi Convict Chris Headland, KieranMullin, Pete Cornes, Pete Woods, Andy Turton...the list is long and not all that distinguished. I appologiese to any of the Bangor crew that I've missed out but I would probably count youself lucky.

Did the ODA PGCE with Mr Adam_Harmer last year...

My Devon boating buddy, Kitty Jenny Lord...who is generally quite quiet on this forum...

Once rolled up to a disapproving look from Simon d Westgarth having been bouncing down the last bit of the Deurance chatting with a mate and falling into to the Embrum wave sideways....

And more recently had occasion to laugh when Pete Catteral made a certain Aspirant L5 coach (who shall remain nameless in order to preserve their dignity) swim at Jim's Bridge...

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

barrittcake wrote:Hi im barrittcake(Christopher Barritt)
I’m 14 and have been paddling about two years and I paddle with Ade P (Adrian Powel)
I dented, gouged and generally buggered up a demo ammo while these guys watched.

JMT

Post by JMT »

*Guy* wrote:
A while ago I went to Italy and met JMT, Callwild, and (I think) Guy (a different one).
That's right Guy, he is also called Guy, Guy Austin and posts on here under the username of Guy.
Keep pushing for fair access to all rivers (or better still, just go and paddle them!).

Mike Tinnion

Toby

Post by Toby »

Grupmy Boater Toby Swallow (an even better name to have when you're a teacher! Love ya tobes!),

Its a great name and I will give anyone a detention who says otherwise. Or, I will set one of my four brothers on you. Grrrrrr.

When we going paddling Alice...

ness1

Post by ness1 »

I used to be Ness but lost my password. Vanessa James used to paddle with Leeds Canoe Club but had a baby, so now tend to read about everyone elses adventures on here with the occasional adventure of my own. Can't wait for my boy to be big enough to paddle.

Don't think anyone I paddled with posts on here?

CCL

Post by CCL »

Late as usual ; )

Username is CCL, real name Claire Cheong-Leen (CCL is much easier!)

Used to paddle a lot in the early 90's - remember Knees, Cheese , KayakoJacko, Simon Westgarth and worzels from the old 'rodeo' days and when Boulters used to be really good! I had the first black Prijon Hurricane and a purple spud in those days. Paddled with Franco on his first trip down the Upper Dart (in high water ; )) and nearly tripped over Simon (Dawson) one morning on Ramsey Island after the big Saturday night rodeo party on the island. He was in a camouflaged bivvy bag and it was too early to see him, let alone go paddling!
I first met Rockpool at the Bitches - he was paddling a silly squirty boat thing....
I met Corran in 1993 on the Ocoee...and he had a very big mohican! Also met superman at the campsite there as well.
Not sure if magictom is the same Tom that I paddled the Coruh with in about 1995 with Dom Gribbin, Neil Landymore et al?

More recently, I've been paddling at Hurley/rivers/sea with Heather Rainsley, MarkR,JamesF, Mrs F, AliceR, KevinF, McDoom, Mrs McDoom, AndyL, MarkGawler, Zoe Newsam.

Love sea kayaking too these days and have an Alaw - which Rockpool has been showing me what to do with! Also paddled with Douglas Wilcox and Mike Marshall (WildWest trip), Jimski89 and Skyak has told me about the whole tide thing. Cailean reminded how to roll when I started paddling again. Rockpool hosted a brilliant rough water sea weekend for a few of us last year - Knees, AndyL, JamesF and also Dave Thomas. I practiced some of Aled's squirt technique in a whirlypool place in his Alaw and JamesF didn't have his camera! Last year bumped into Sub5Rider at Staffa and HelenM and MikeB on the Sandaig Islands.

Need to give Erling a special mention - thanks for loads of info re Norway/Lofoten this summer etc and glad that I could help out with getting your ridiculously expensive bike seat (I'm not a biker!) to you for UK rather than Norway prices!

Happy Boating!

Claire

meatballs

Post by meatballs »

I'm Ben Campbell, (or Andy at work!)

I've paddled with Jules & Dan, Banzer, Ant M 24 and Andy up in North Wales. Chas C, Richard, Dave and Sheryl Francis, Graham B? for a good weekend down on the Dart.

I've worked part time over the last three summers/easters/winters down at Bournemouth Canoes, and have seen/served the likes of Mark R, Heather R, Bertie, Shore Thing, occasionally in that time.

Been trying to find ways to get out of Canterbury to paddle for the last three years I think its a worse paddling location than Norfolk...
Ben

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas »

meatballs wrote:Been trying to find ways to get out of Canterbury to paddle for the last three years I think its a worse paddling location than Norfolk...
At least the Alps are nearer than Scotland!
Dave Thomas

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

meatballs wrote:Been trying to find ways to get out of Canterbury to paddle for the last three years I think its a worse paddling location than Norfolk...
Ben...... you really must get out some more, get in touch if your home for Xmas.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”