Sadness from Switzerland

Inland paddling
Liam

Sadness from Switzerland

Post by Liam »

I've just heard that Gav, former Bangor Uni, has been killed while paddling in Switzerland where he had been living for some time.

No great details , just what I've been texted from the Bangor Old Boy network, it seems he disappeared on Sunday and was only recovered yesterday after the main flow of the river was diverted.

If anyone can find more information, I'd be very greatful

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. »

Hi Liam,

I'm sorry to confirm that you're right about Gav Winsborrow. People have been trying to get in touch with those who knew Gav before the news came out on the net to let them know what's happened.

I'm sure that details will come out in time but may I suggest that this isn't the right time to be sharing details of this tragic accident. I think it's enough to know we've lost a great paddler and a great guy without speculating over the details.

Dom c

Post by Dom c »

I only met Gav this spring, paddling with him in Switzland for a few days.. Great guy, Great paddler, Great Loss..
My condolences to family and friends.
Dom

skinny d

Post by skinny d »

A sad time.

Wise words from Pete, also could those reminiscing about better times with Gav please bear in mind that Gavins family may read these pages so please exercise restraint when posting stories and pictures of our friend.

Love you buddy

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Quite simply words can't do Gav justice.

I only met him a couple of times last year, and was simply struck by how enthusiastic and fun he was to chat to. I was looking forward to paddling with him more. A deep sadness sits with all of us at the moment.

morsey

Post by morsey »

Sad times. My thoughts go to family and friends.

Penelope Pitstop

Post by Penelope Pitstop »

Sad

Penelope Pitstop

Post by Penelope Pitstop »

An inspiration, a friend and a rascal. The rivers (and pubs!) of North Wales won't be the same without you.

Our thoughts are with Rochan and his family.

(Apologies for previous message, computers playing games!)

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

I am deeply sad with this news, I meet and paddled with Gavin whlist he was paddling in Slovenia this Spring.

A gentlemen as nice you'll ever wished to off met....[/i]

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

I'm not sure what to say, or if this is the correct place to say it. I am so very sad at the loss such a nice, friendly, fun loving guy. Paddling with him in Slovenia, and in Switzerland this May, was a pleasure and a privilege.

Liz and I send our condolences to Rochan, Gavin's family, and everyone that knew him from the paddling world.

Mark

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

Very very sad.
I remember a fantastic day in Austria a few years back when Gav led a couple of us on a stonking afternoon run of the Vente Ache and then rounding the day off by leading him down a thunder storm fuelled Melach, all the time his infectious smile shining through the gloom.
What a great bloke and what a terribly sad loss.
My thoughts go out to his family and everyone who was lucky enough to know him.
Giles

AliceB

Post by AliceB »

Quite simply words cannot do justice to the sadness which the loss of a great bloke and boater...quite simply one of the best you could ever hope to meet.

I enjoyed his company both on and off the river and have very fond memories of our summer in 21, I feel privileged to have met such a charasmatic guy. He will be sadly missed.

My love and thoughts go out to Rochan, all of his close friends and his family at this sad time.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

This is very sad, I was shocked when I recieved the news earlier today. Gav was one of those guys that made a day on the river that much better. A great paddler and more importantly a wonderful person who was fun to be around.

I have fond memories of a fantastic run down the Bonne with Gav a few summers ago when we ran a grade six and had a tortuous walk around a grade four due to a guidebook mix up. A great day.

News like this makes you think about why we do this sport. Tomorrow on the river I will be remembering Gav's unbounding enthusiasm for paddling and his constant smile on the river.

Rob_Roy

Post by Rob_Roy »

Shocked, and deeply sadened by this tragic news.
I was only fortunate enough to meet Gav a handfull of times, and my thoughts and sympathys are with his family and friends at this time.

I will always have fond memories of running the Bonne. His smile, enthusiasm and general cheerfulness got us through that day.

Gutted. He was a top bloke, and i know there will be a lot of very sad people all over the UK at the moment.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”