For dodgy hips: what's the world's most comfortable kayak?

Inland paddling
robt

For dodgy hips: what's the world's most comfortable kayak?

Post by robt »

My partner has dodgy hips - basically a limited range of movement in the joints and a tendency to cramp at awkward boating moments. And it's now getting to the point where its becoming a nuisance (and painful) for her on the river, having to regularly stop to walk round in circles on the bank.

She currently paddles an Inazone 220, but is looking for something that will be better for her hip. She's not really bothered by playboating, and merrily runs grade 3/low-end 4. Apparently the problem is the shallow angle of the knees within the boat, the higher the knees relative to bum the better she thinks:

So, does anyone have the same problem? What helped?

Also, any suggestions for boats for her to demo? She's just tried out a L'il Joe which she found good for her hip, but didn't really like the boat. I'm thinking along the lines of bigger-but-not-too-big boats: Dagger Mambo, maybe a diesel, I4 (?), Dagger GTX?

We need the world's most comfortable kayak...

RichA

Post by RichA »

Probably not the sort of boat you're looking for, but the Robson Twintip is absolutely huge inside and has the seating position you're looking for. It's far more comfortable for me than my lil' Joe! I'm about 5'8" (I think) if that helps.

MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

I've found that lots of dagger boats have that sort of position, a g-ride would be a pretty good choice, high knees, lots of volume and a nice river runner for 3+ and 4.

Also performs well in the surf and would give her the option of a little frestyle rodeo action if she wanted it.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

Has she tried your Jefe, or is that bigger than you were looking for?

The Pyranha burn has a nice seating position with the knees quite high.

Tim S

New seating positions...

Post by Tim S »

The Inazone was the last Pyranha kayak to have the old flatter legged seating position ( which I never got on with ). When I started at Pyranha they were just finishing off the first H3 and I3 designs ( still two of the best kayaks ever made IMHO ) and I was fortunate enough to be used as the 'seat tester' for both the 245 and the 222 ( as I am Mr Average at 5'10ish, 32/32 and 75kg ) and the seating position is that nice high and dry one you are looking for!

So in short any Pyranha design in the past 4 years should suit your needs perfectly :-)

But that said this new seating position is pretty universal now, so drop into your local dealer and sit in a variety of kayaks. You will be amazed at how little things ( backrest, hip pads, thigh grips etc ) make a big difference!

Hope that helps and doesnt sound too pro-pyranha!

Tim S

robt

Post by robt »

skip wrote:Has she tried your Jefe, or is that bigger than you were looking for?
It's a good idea, I'll get her in it to see if its a comfy position, but the boat itself will be bigger than she's looking for really.

A G-Ride is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.
Tim S wrote:Hope that helps and doesnt sound too pro-pyranha!
Good advice - that's roughly what I suspected (her current boat has an extremely flat legged position). It's a bit odd what she does and does not find comfortable though - for example, a dagger juice was worse than her current boat. We have yet to demo any of the pyranha range, but its on the to-do list.

The main problem seems to be that she actually needs to sit in a boat for about 20 minutes to work out if it's good for her hip or not. That's a long time in a kayak shop, though I suppose I could read all the mags without spending a penny! Its a matter of working out what would be best to take away and demo.

CptBorg

Post by CptBorg »

Maybe a regime of stretching exercises might help a little too. Getting the body used to the seating in any kayak is a chore. I find even a few weeks out of a boat and I have some troubles with numbness/stiffness (when i get back in). I also find warming up before a session helps me go further before a stretch is required.

I always hear good things about Wavesport fittings, maybe the diesel 65 would suit.
River Rambo or Paddling Hermit depending on the day!

Dave Wright

Post by Dave Wright »

Hi

I have a similar problem with the seating position, I have found that the Wavesport diesels allow my feet to move as required, the new Burn is similar but seems to keep the knees slightly lower. so feet flater

Dave

David McCraw

Post by David McCraw »

Small Burn? I've been out in the Medium and thought it was pretty comfy - definitely better than the Jefe and on a par with you know what... Diesel is another good option on the not-too-big scale?

The problem is that everyone is a little different and what works for one, may be rubbish for another...

Hips isn't something I'm familiar with - but maybe worth a careful think about hip pads whatever you try, just in case these are cutting circulation (although I'm guessing that's not the problem).

Rich Neary

Burn Vs Mamba

Post by Rich Neary »

In couple of months I've change boats from a Mamba 8.0 to a Burn M. I found the seating position in the Mamba to be great, my knees where up nice and high, whereas the Burn, your knees lie a lot flatter. I think the out fitting is more comfortable in the Pyranha, but the knee position is nice in the Mamba.

I'd recomend going out and trying a few out and seeing what works best!

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

When I was younger I use to sufer alot from Perthes Hip, I still get a few aches and pains but nothing like I use to.

Currently I paddle a WS Diesel, which I could comfortably sit in all day. Along with this 'high knee' position, the outfitting is quality. The hip pad's are comfy and so is the seat cusion.

Other boats would be the Dagger Mamba, and also the Fuid Solo, wich both had a high knee position when I sat in them.

aliceg

Post by aliceg »

Thanks for all the suggestions - looks like I've got a list to start from!

Unfortunately it's not a case of my hip pads being too tight, or unstretched muscles (I've got a lot of wear on the actual joint and the connecting tendons are inflammed and frayed. I've also got a loose piece of cartilage floating around - but they may be removing that in the foreseeable future). I've got weekly physio which helps, but I'm always much worse after I've been paddling.
Has she tried your Jefe, or is that bigger than you were looking for?
Nope - but I have tried yours! It was a little on the massive side and as it was so big, I needed to grip a lot more with my legs so I found it very sore to paddle.

Right - off to sit in a lot of boats (for a long time)

Corran

Post by Corran »

RULE ONE.... eliminate hip pads. They are the Number 1 cause of cramping and cutting off circulation in the ciatic nerve (because of the position it puts you in, combied with footrests that push off the ball of the feet).

Number two... footrests that push from the heels, not balls of the feet.

http://www.2imagine.net/blogger2006/outfitting.html

And DragoRossi kayak would essentially do the trick for him

Corran

Poke

Re: Burn Vs Mamba

Post by Poke »

Rich Neary wrote:In couple of months I've change boats from a Mamba 8.0 to a Burn M. I found the seating position in the Mamba to be great, my knees where up nice and high, whereas the Burn, your knees lie a lot flatter. I think the out fitting is more comfortable in the Pyranha, but the knee position is nice in the Mamba.

I'd recomend going out and trying a few out and seeing what works best!
Yeah. My girlfriend tried out both the mamba and the burn and found the mamba to be infinately more comfortable, predominantly 'cos of the higher knee position (she also liked it loads more as it was loads lighter too!). I don't know if it is the burn having a particularly a female-unfriendly seating position (one of the other lasses who tried the burn that day said it wasn't too comfy either), or if it is just down to the individual.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

mopuk2000

Post by mopuk2000 »

I had an Pyranah S6 which had a very comfortable position like your looking for. It’s not exactly a creeker though.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Corran wrote:And DragoRossi kayak would essentially do the trick for him
Corran, the gender tranformation will not help you make a sale! ;-)

I know this might sound predictable from me but would she like to convert to an open canoe. If she gets aches she can just stand up and walk around!

My sons all suffer from multiple epiphyseal dysplasia which probably results in a similar problem. Doug's is not so bad but George does have issues with low deck boats. He currently paddles a LL Vision but is intending to change to a ZG.

As to demos, if you try somehwere with a lake like WWTCC, I am sure they would let her paddle around for a while.

Floater

Post by Floater »

The Diesel is a good option. It's got the right seating position, loads of room and the outfitting doesn't have to be tight to still feel connected to the boat.

mattclarke

Post by mattclarke »

spud has masses of space, got quite a few paddling friends that swear by them

CptBorg

Post by CptBorg »

Isn't there a chance of foot-entrapment with the Dragorossi heel block idea? Maybe i'm not quite getting the picture as i havent seen them for real.
River Rambo or Paddling Hermit depending on the day!

DanH

Post by DanH »

CptBorg wrote:Isn't there a chance of foot-entrapment with the Dragorossi heel block idea? Maybe i'm not quite getting the picture as i havent seen them for real.
I'm not sure what you mean?

I've been paddling DragoRossi kayaks for a year now and haven't encountered any problems with the heel block. In fact, I find it much easier to get into as you can move the footrest down into the boat and rachet it up once you are in. Getting out is easy, just release (relax) your feet and your legs become loose and you can just slide out.

I think CptBorg you should maybe have a go in a DR and see for yourself!

Anyway, back on topic. The fact that she currently paddles an Inazone 220 suggest to me that she is a petit lady and would therefore be look for a pretty small boat, my suggestions would be small I3/I4 (Pyranha), Wavesport EZG (small one 42??), Jackson Fun 2 maybe? (EJ bangs on about the ergonomic fit), Riot Flair or Turbo (tend to have high knees) and DR Pintail or Stinger (going back to Corran's point about the fittings).

Hope you find something comfortable!

Cheers,

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

DanH wrote:
CptBorg wrote:Isn't there a chance of foot-entrapment with the Dragorossi heel block idea? Maybe i'm not quite getting the picture as i havent seen them for real.
I'm not sure what you mean?
I understand what CptBorg means - going solely by the picture (follow Corran's link above) it's not clear how easily the feet could slip past the heel block.
Steve Balcombe

David McCraw

Post by David McCraw »

Surely the down river designs have full plate, anyway?

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

My big ez has a similar type of arrangement where it has a heel pod, We did have discussions about how safe it would be if your feet slipped past and got stuck. However I have not had any problems even with getting driven vertically into the seabed by a 6 foot wave. I got quite a jarring when I him the bottom but I never slipped down or got stuck. When I did something similar in a boat with a full plate footrest I burst my toes with my toenails. It was V sore and not something I would want to repeat.
And to get back on the topic of this thread I find the wavesport outfiiting very comfortable and would recomend it to anyone/everyone.

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac »

David McCraw wrote:Surely the down river designs have full plate, anyway?
THey do indeed.

As for the heel block I have a squahstail with the system in it and never had a problem with my heels slipping. What does feel odd at first is being able to have a solid point to push on but still be able to waggle your toes about

ChrisMac

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac »

David McCraw wrote:Surely the down river designs have full plate, anyway?
THey do indeed.

As for the heel block I have a squahstail with the system in it and never had a problem with my heels slipping. What does feel odd at first is being able to have a solid point to push on but still be able to waggle your toes about

As to the original question I think that comfort is such an individual thing that the try them for yourself answer is the only option.

ChrisMac

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”