Van insurance

Inland paddling
El Pres

Van insurance

Post by El Pres » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:17 pm

I have just changed my insurance company from the CIS to these guys and save a packet.

http://www.nfumutual.co.uk/

Foz

DanH

Re: Van insurance

Post by DanH » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:20 pm

NFU have changed there policy... :-( My van (Vauxhall Vivaro paddle wagon) now has to be insured as a light commercial vehicle as opposed to a car.

This means amongst other thing I can no longer drive other vehicles 3rd party on this policy, something I currently find extremely useful for shuttles etc. Does anybody suggestions of other insurance companies for SDP van insurance?

I've called a few companies and NFU are still the cheapest I've found, they just impose the afore mentioned limitation to the policy as do all the other commercial van insures I've tried...

surfkayaks.com

Post by surfkayaks.com » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:25 pm

try Adrian Flux (NIG)

Dom c

Post by Dom c » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:47 pm

I'm with NFU, definitely one of the cheapest and one of the best Van policies.. However as Dan says their policy prohibits you from driving other cars which is a bit of a bugger..
NFU beat Adrian flux by about £400 on my last quote.

DanH

Post by DanH » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Cheers guys!

I've tried Adrian Flux and they were £100 more expensive like for like with the NFU policy and £400 more expensive with the added 3rd party cover for other vehicles...

Another thought, basically I'm off travelling in January so will be leaving my van behind. So in theory I only really want to insure the van for 'fire & theft' for the majority of the year and insure it fully comp as and when I need it. I've asked every insurance company I've spoken to if this is possible and all have told me no.

Does anybody know of any insurance companies that will do this? Or any insurance companies that will insure the van 'fire and theft' but insure "me" fully comp to drive any vehicle when I am in the country?

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:15 pm

I have my van (VW T4) covered with Allianz through these http://www.1stcentralinsurance.com/ guys.
They cover me for driving other vehicles 3rd party and also cover me for up to 10000 miles of work related use.
They were even slightly cheaper to insure my van than insuring my Ford Focus.
I got a quote through their site and then followed up with a phone call to negotiate as I have a SAFED driving qualification.

husky

Post by husky » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:50 am

surfkayaks.com wrote:try Adrian Flux (NIG)
Spot on
They helped me with my camper conversion great guy's
Steve
LET IT BE

councildog

Post by councildog » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Another thing To remember When Going Back From Van to Car Insurance

Most Companys Wont Let you Take Any No Claims Bonus That You've earned Whist Owning a van
Back Over to a Car policy
I've learnt this the hardway losing 12 years NCB... expensive mistake

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:56 pm

councildog wrote:Another thing To remember When Going Back From Van to Car Insurance

Most Companys Wont Let you Take Any No Claims Bonus That You've earned Whist Owning a van
Back Over to a Car policy
I've learnt this the hardway losing 12 years NCB... expensive mistake
Thats where the negotiation comes into it :-)
I spoke with Allianz and explained that I had a car also and they let me bring the NCD over to the van too.
Be aware also that if you have a second vehicle that you can reduce your premium by spreading your annual mileage between the two policies.
If you drive lets say 12000 miles per year then declare a good average between the two e.g. 6000 each. You will be surprised just how much it reduces the premium.

bigben

Post by bigben » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm with the NFU for my "van" (Toyota hilux pickup), they were the only insurance I found to be even remotely reasonable. Your postcode has an awful lot to do with the NFU's quote - being that they're a "rural" insurer, as does the vehicle type (my hilux 1/3 the price of a quote for my dads omega estate)

NFU: £450
Adrian flux: £3500
countless others around £3-4000 and even more just said no. (I was 19 at the time of getting these quotes though)

councildog

Post by councildog » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:52 pm

My Insurance Company Also Let Me take It Over From Car To Van

But Then After 3 Years Just Refused Point Blank To Let Me Take My NCB From Van To Car

So watch out And Get It Writing

sinorthwales

Post by sinorthwales » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:20 pm

I use the co-op for my van insurance they have been the best quote for a number of years.

husky

Post by husky » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:30 am

bigben wrote:I'm with the NFU for my "van" (Toyota hilux pickup), they were the only insurance I found to be even remotely reasonable. Your postcode has an awful lot to do with the NFU's quote - being that they're a "rural" insurer, as does the vehicle type (my hilux 1/3 the price of a quote for my dads omega estate)

NFU: £450
Adrian flux: £3500
countless others around £3-4000 and even more just said no. (I was 19 at the time of getting these quotes though)
Funny my Mercedes Sprinter which i am in the middle of camperizing cost £350 will be £250 after i finish converting over ( only condition a fire extinguisher ) took my car NCB over too
Steve
LET IT BE

techy2009

Post by techy2009 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:05 am

Its worth trying contructaquote.com
I am quite happy with their price. They offer van insurance. You can check their policies here: http://www.constructaquote.com/van-insurance/van.aspx

Hope that helps!

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:39 pm

I have a big Transit insured as a motorhome with Adrian Flux £260 TPFT
Lost your job? Wife ran off with your best mate? Bailiffs coming for the Audi? Thinking of topping yourself? Dont call the Samaritans, come for a paddle.
3 cheers for rap music.........Hip hop.................

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”