Alps - Student Boatercross?

Inland paddling
David McCraw

Alps - Student Boatercross?

Post by David McCraw »

There has been chat for ages about organising some kind of an inter-uni race and Liquid Life has got me fired up for the whole idea.

There seems to be masses of us around Briancon in the first half of June (Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Glasgow, Bangor, Aston, Leeds, Sheffield, Portsmouth, Manchester just from skimming that "who's going" topic).

Surely we could manage some kind of down-river action with glory heaped on the winners (presumably the club which parties the least!)

I remember a couple of years ago Edinburgh and UCD raced the Gyr one evening, a bit short but fantastic fun.

The after-party would be huge...

Non-starter? Genius?

Who's up for it?

barCODE

Post by barCODE »

I like the idea when are you thinking about running it?

You could also try aussie rules King of the wave comp down on the Rab (painful?) or Embrun wave - that could be fun.

Rumour has it the 2006 BUSA Slalom champions and the amateur KOTW winner will be at their summer training on le lac during June....

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Yeah, we will race you I'm sure.

The Gauntlet is thrown!

Tom

David McCraw

Post by David McCraw »

I was thinking that it would be good to have something a little more than a straight head-to-head (especially if there are lots of us interested).

I've only had random ideas so far but I think a teamwork element would be good, rather than individual (averages things out to be more representative of each club), and it would be nifty to incorporate things like a throwline challenge (knock your helmet off your boat at X distance before you can start?) as well as an alcoholic element (at the end!)

I had a crazy idea of the Guil from source to the Rab (site of the party?) but there are issues there (the gnarl between Guardian Angel and Triple Step, and the whole dam / lethal gorge!). Maybe we could take out at the lake put in at the Lower Guil (an opportunity for the less able paddlers to join in?) which would test boat loading skills.

Reckon independants would be needed to check speed limits were observed though because I could see the risk of lethal road accident there!

mpooleman

Post by mpooleman »

barCODE wrote:Rumour has it the 2006 BUSA Slalom champions
I could feel really silly here if I just dont recognise your name and you are from Newcastle but didn't Newcastle win the BUSA slalom in the end??

The Boater-Cross sounds like a really good idea!

Mark
Mark Pooleman

Rory W

Post by Rory W »

Sounds like a great idea. When are most people out there? We (Sheffield) don't go out till the 13th.

benjamin

Post by benjamin »

The race down the gyr was great
a bit short but fantastic fun.
the run is about 8 mins if I remember correctly, long enough for me. What about the day of the Canoe Control party - then there will be even more reason to drink; I have shotgunned not driving home this year.

And I'm not out until the last week in June - with a few guys and gals from Loughborough.

barCODE

Post by barCODE »

Mark, you should feel silly! And yes it is true we are the 2006 BUSA slalom winners.

Boater cross. Done.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Here's a plan...

One evening at L'argentiere....

Line up all the boats Le Mans style,

To start you down a stubby of your chosen cheapness, get in your boat, and en route down the slalom course you are passed a shot of something, that has to be necked in the eddy before carrying on. Get to the end, another beer, and then run somewhere.

What could go wrong...?

RichA

Post by RichA »

Yep, sounds like a great laugh. I guess we need a common date that we'll all be there. Portsmouth are there from the 14-28th. (Yeh, I know I meant 28th when I first wrote it!)

The party obviously has to be at the Rab campsite which won't be a problem at all ;-)

How about breaking it down into stages? eg rodeo at the Rab wave, a race down the Gyr or Chateaux Q, and slalom comp at l'Argentiere etc? It might be easier to get all abilities involved doing it that way?
Last edited by RichA on Tue May 30, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac »

How about a team race on the the gusiane, upper and lower, as a tag race. Start at the upper with the weaker members of the group and finish on the durance by the supermarket with the more experienced.

Just my 2p

ChrisMac

Ayres

Post by Ayres »

miss type there by rich portsmouth are there the 14th to the 28th, and sure a fair few of us would want to be involved if anything happened.

think a multi events thing sounds like a good idea.

if wanted to measure the clubs strength time could be taken on say the 5th person from each club to cross the line? but the relay sounds a gd idea to

David McCraw

Post by David McCraw »

Well, Edinburgh are leaving by the 17th so maybe the Friday of that week would be a good compromise (either a sweet end to the trip for some, or a cool beginning for others?)

I'm liking the ideas (less so the rodeo as we can't play and aren't bringing playboats, but we could let you soft southerners have that one ;-)

We could simplify it by having a river race and then a rodeo at the Rab (which turns into the after-party)?

The idea of having it on the upper and lower Guisane to involve as many as possible seems great - it would be nice to include the rest of our clubs...

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

David McCraw wrote:(less so the rodeo as we can't play and aren't bringing playboats, but we could let you soft southerners have that one ;-)
Or we could just have a round hulled round in the rab hole....

RichA

Post by RichA »

ChrisMac wrote:How about a team race on the the gusiane, upper and lower, as a tag race. Start at the upper with the weaker members of the group and finish on the durance by the supermarket with the more experienced.
I think that's a great idea. Could have the change over point just above S-Bends for less confident people, or after it for the more confident?
David McCraw wrote:less so the rodeo as we can't play and aren't bringing playboats
That's ok, I suggested it because I can't playboat at all! Could have a comedy session after a rodeo...lilos/chairs/topo duos etc etc?
David McCraw wrote:we could let you soft southerners have that one ;-)
You may regret that later! ;-)

lozbrown

Post by lozbrown »

David McCraw wrote:issues there (the gnarl between Guardian Angel and Triple Step,
I dont remember any gnarl there when I ran that last year, the staircase kinda took a diversion through the trees and the new rocks that came in the landslide are quite sharp but it all goes ok! Guardian angel was far more of a challenge Or has something changed?

I suggest something short and very fast, the onde ould be a good one, and gusiane is a very good suggestion. I'm only gutted that our terms finish so late and i ont be able to compete..

Ayres

Post by Ayres »

how about a freshers event? for those of us who have only been paddling since the start of this yr? give us a chance to compete to?

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Ayres wrote:how about a freshers event? for those of us who have only been paddling since the start of this yr? give us a chance to compete to?
Good Plan.

dom_edward

Post by dom_edward »

Can add Stirling Uni to that list too.

A small group of us will be there from the 8th to the 18th - definitely will be up for some kind of social. Towards the end of our time there would be best as we are all Alps virgins so have no idea what these rivers are like yet.

How about confirming a date - sounds like the 15th or 16th would suit most people.

Poke

Post by Poke »

Think that the most comedy option would have to be from the bridge above triple step on the guil, to just below Triple itself...

Alternatively, there did used to be an event on the Malafoss section above the Briancon gorge. Looked at it once when it was too low and has the potential for some excellent carnage...

If less carnage was required, then MMMammoths suggestion of a Le Mans on L'Argentiere would be the best bet... Running start to the boats. Monster ferry across to the far side of the river. Out of boats to down a stubby. Back into boats for another ferry. First person into the lake on river right wins.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

mattclarke

Post by mattclarke »

liverpool are out from 23rd june til 3rd july and if anyone is still about it would be good to do a race down the gyr or other chosen wetness

WideBoy

BoaterX

Post by WideBoy »

The mighty Aberdeen Uni will be across on the 12/13th for a few weeks, we're def up for beer and boating!

[(less so the rodeo as we can't play and aren't bringing playboats, but we could let you soft southerners have that one ;-)
[/quote]

....and you only ever paddle the infamous yellow beast?!

I can't play but all we're taking are playboats, they make things that little bit more 'interesting'!

See you guys out there

Aitken

ps Jak - i've got some pics of your fire poi action, on 'old skool' film so will prob be next week before I get them into digi format
..if it was easy, it would just be the way

AndyK

Post by AndyK »

We (leeds) start arriving at L'Arginterre next week and will be up for any carnage on and off the river.

see you all there (all excited now, done nothing in the office today but look at videos and photos of the alps)

lozbrown

Post by lozbrown »

Glen i have done you the favour of making you a smaller version of your avatar for use in the forums as that one is too big, plus i'm really bored and its my last day at work.

Please copy it and use it on the forums

AndyK

Post by AndyK »

good to see I am not the only one procrastinating today.

Thanks

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Unfortunately, glentheturtle, it is FAR too irritating. Funny for a few seconds then - no thanks. Am I the only one who thinks these things are the equivalent of standing in the middle of a pub with a megaphone and a hose to get attention?

I am sure you will want to replace it with a static one...
Steve Balcombe

Slime

Post by Slime »

Great idea!

I shall be around the Durance from 14th to the 19th and would be happy to help and donate a few books as prizes. A few of us organised a student rodeo on the Rabious about 6 years ago. I am not sure that organised is the right word as it only needed a few crates of wine, some cardboard and some marker pens. I dont think anyone will remember any details apart from the party and the hangover!

If we had a Rodeo on the Friday night, the 16th, I am sure that the local paddlers would be very co-operative. Guess we could have classes for 'Old School', Duckies and sundry inflatables - any other suggestions? We could import the Crocodile wrestling event from the Nepal Rodeo?

Keep the ideas coming...

Slime

David McCraw

Post by David McCraw »

Okay, it's going to be super hard to organise once we're out there, so let's set some provisional details: the Rab campsite on the Friday 16th.

The entry fee - a minimum amount of booze per head (for the afterparty!)

The prize - a year of bragging rights. (Can we think of a good title for the event? National Student Alpine Championships? I like it purely because it's so pretentious, but there must be something better?)

Can we agree on a final programme? Upper - Lower Guisane tag-team in the afternoon, drive down to the Rab for the rodeo in the early evening then party? (Stumpies at Shelob's and the big weir to make the portages mandatory and equalise the sane and insane amongst us?)

We could leaflet the campsites to get everyone on the same level, if we can agree in principle now.

D.

RichA

Post by RichA »

Upper/Lower Guisane is definately a good idea. Where would the change over be? A mandatory portage of the big weir seems a good idea. Isn't Shelobs ok? We ran it last summer, but it was quite low...

Friday 16th seems ok, but a bit soon for some uni groups that have only just got there...

A joke rodeo at Rab to finish it off seems great, and maybe a floodlight rodeo later on for those of us that can actually play!

Are the water levels ok, or are they likely to be silly high? Any backup options if the Guisane isn't suitable?

How would the teams work for the tag teams? A certain number of people in each team, maybe with a more experienced paddler or two for the Upper Guisane if needed?
Winning uni is the first team to reach the getout and down a stubby each?

David McCraw

Post by David McCraw »

That Friday is probably the best compromise, everyone going out early (see list at start) will have gone afterwards...

It will depend on levels I guess - if it's low maybe shelob is fine (anyone?) - I don't really remember.

How we ran the tag would depend on numbers - I reckon two different groups would be best with a total swap over (i.e. one on one off)...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”