What do you do with your old roofbars?

Inland paddling
lindsam

Post by lindsam »

Hi.

Sorry for dragging up an old post, but it seemed most relivant!

Has anyone got, kicking around...

Thule 750 rapid fit fitting kit
Thule roof bars 120cm+
Thule Rapid Fitting Kit 1007

Or, a roof rack that would fit a Renault Laguna, 5dr, 99 model.

Just thought I might ask before I go buying new.

Thanks
Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

lindsam wrote:Thule Rapid Fitting Kit 1007
I've got one which I'm currently using but it should be available in a month or so. I expect that's too late for you, but if you're still looking towards the end of April let me know.

I'll be keeping the bars and feet, there's a good chance I'll need them again.
Steve Balcombe

Ed Lefley

Cheap Roof Rack Parts

Post by Ed Lefley »

I've still got a set of 120cm bars Thule bars spare. I can drop them off in Chester the 1st weekend in April if that helps (not this weekend, but the one after)... I'm travelling from Lancashire to Ludlow on the Friday night and then a reverse journey on Sunday. Would only want a £10 or so as I'm getting fed up of them living in my boot!!!

Does that help?

PM or leave a post here.

Ed

Daffers

Post by Daffers »

Peugot 106 Roofrack wanted.

Reading based.

Please e-mail dafni_a(@)yahoo.com
JP Lives Forever

cookie

Post by cookie »

Has anybody got a set of roof bars for a 406 estate that they wish to disspose of. I have just sold my car and am having to use my parents car for a month until i get a new car and do not wish to fork out good money for a tempory solution.

P.m or post here.

Thanks in advance.

durham charlie

Peugeot roof bars

Post by durham charlie »

Anyone got any roof bars for an old ('92) 5 door 205? For the moment I can make do with a handirack or just shoving the G-force in the car, but could be a problem if i get a bigger boat or friends! :-S
Cheers, pm if you've got a spare set, I'll come get 'em, quite excited at the prospect of driving again so mileage not really an issue.
Charlie

SteelRiverRunner

Post by SteelRiverRunner »

Although I toyed with the idea of fitting a towbar to my TVR and hacking up a cheap 5x3 trailer to carry sea kayaks, I could foresee a couple of negatives, such as paddling back to the car and finding the roof slashed and the stereo gone.

That leaves me with the company Transit Connect van. I hunted for roofracks and rails but the cheapest set is two simple cross-rails for £50. Bu99er that I thought, that's serious beer money that is, so I got the tape measure, angle grinder and TIG welder out and made my own! :o)

Now the Point65 boat I bought sits nicely on there, but the Nordkapp doesn't like being ratchetted down as the hull distorts, so I ended up having to turn it diagonally across the rails, lean it over AND have a lot of rear overhang before I was happy with it.

So I think I'm going to have to mould some dedicated cradles to suit each hull. Even so the rails are 2m off the floor so my plan to load from the side of the van has been suspended for the mo and I have to slide the boats on over a piece of carpet wedged in the back doors!
If there was a place called Huckenbove, would you want to be Lord of it?

peanut

Post by peanut »

I have the same problem with my sports car. Thule don't make the feet anymore. There are some suction cups that fit any vehicle on ebay which are supposed to hold 800kgs ?(like the things they use for carrying huge sheets of glass) they are only £15 a set +p&p and as I intend to tie down the front andf rear of my sea kayak to the bumpers it should be a perfect solution.

However like you I don't relish the prospect of coming back to some remote launch site to find my pride and joy with a brick through the window so I'll probably use the works Mondeo anyway. Not quite the right imsage though

Ed Lefley

Post by Ed Lefley »

Charlie,

PM Lou Brush as she might have some for a 5 dr 205... she had one until it died so might have the feet... there's a good chance that i might have bars that would fit across

Crumble

Post by Crumble »

Anyone got any roofbars kicking about for a 1999 reg Renault Megane hatch?

email PM or phone me...ZERO7834NINE79698

chriscw

My old bars.

Post by chriscw »

I have a set of old roof bars from the days when cars had gutters and one set would fit anything. I dug them out the other day as someone with those bars which run front to back and need a fitting plus bars to carry anything was going to take some boats to a session for me.

Two old sturdy bars an few lengths of roape and four good square lashings gave us a very solid and safe improvised set of roof bars!

what a good job I kept that old set, I wonder if it will be another 15 years before I use them again?
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

tyne tour

Post by tyne tour »

I have a set of bars for a Nissan Almera, 5 dr up to year 2000 - offers

Ben J

Post by Ben J »

I'm looking for Roof Bars for my 55plate 5 door Astra. I don't need them just yet, until I buy my Kayak....unless if I see a good deal!

Vauxhall Stealerships want £100!! But they do look quite nice and I do want ones that look fairly nice!!!

Do you guys use uprights for kayaks or just strap then straight down to the bars with foam padding.

chriscw

Uprights.

Post by chriscw »

Ben,

Generally I use uprights if I am carying three or more kayaks, makes fixing quicker and easier. With one or two I normally just rope them straight on to the roof bars. It does depend a bit on which boats I am carrying and how far. At most get ins and get outs I just leave the ropes tied to the uprights and shut in the doors, that makes reloading the boats a really quick job.

I also jave a set of J brackets which are good for carrying boats that I do not want to rope on quite so tightly.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Rick Foster

Post by Rick Foster »

Anyone got a roofrack for a 106 xn?

joeboote

almera roof rack

Post by joeboote »

Hi Tyne tour, I've pm'ed you re. the roof rack.

May be interested, or I may just bolt random racks directly to the roof. It seems the previous owner has dented every panel, saves me worrying about dropping boats on it ;o)

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

Roof bars for a Renault Clio 3 door 2001 model?

Just the feet would do but whole package even better.

Much appreciated.

MattB

Post by MattB »

I've just posted 3 sets of roofbars for sale on the For Sale/Wanted forum

One set for an old style Mondeo state

One set for an old style Renult Megane

One set fot a new (but not the new model!!) Mondeo hatch

All Thule, all good condition. Contact me for any further details!!!

Matthew

pete.self

Post by pete.self »

Mark 3 Golf anyone?
Thule 404 I think if anyone can help iw oudl be very appreciative, I am in the south east but can travel or whatever.
please someone

d.e.hill

Post by d.e.hill »

Anyone got a spare set of end caps that'll fit standard Thule bars? Can you believe I can't find them anywhere?!

Everytime I drive anywhere it sounds like someone blowing over a bottle top at 70mph. 4 times over!

If anyone's got any, drop me an email at:

d.e.hill@durham.ac.uk

or pm me.

Cheers, and happy paddling,

Dave

Fatboy
Location: Hampshire. Not the whitewater mecca some would have you believe.

Post by Fatboy »

Can you not just stick some of those atificial wine bottle corks into the ends of the bars? May not look prett, but it should work.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

pete.self

Post by pete.self »

d.e.hill, if you cant find any have you considered just putting gaffer over the end, its what I did with my old ones, stopped anything getting damaged on them too.

RichA

Post by RichA »

Does anyone have roofbars and clamps for a 306 estate? The bars that came with it don't extend over the outside edges of the roof rails so they're a bit limited for space.

Could swap them for the ones I've got if anyone's interested.

rich_andy_01<at>hotmail<dot>com or PM me.

d.e.hill

Post by d.e.hill »

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably stick gaffa on as a last resort! I'm not sure I want to make them look that ugly unless I have to!

Doesn't anyone fancy sending me some end caps?

Not even off that old set of bars you've got lying in the back of the garage for a car they made in the 70's, no-one will ever want, and will end up in the bin in a month or two?!

If anyone fancies sending me some, d.e.hill@durham.ac.uk

Thanks!

Turboboy

T4 transporter roofbars!

Post by Turboboy »

Ok the sale of the T4 roofbars fell through so im still looking if anyone has any lying around.

I also still have the paddy hopkirk fiesta roofbars.

Cheers

James

Jon Davies

Post by Jon Davies »

Anyone got a set on Gutter roof bars? Would be going on a Hiace van so need to be fairly wide.
Can't afford to buy any but if anyone would like to donate them to me please PM. Will be in Nottingham this weekend and otherwis in North wales.

Poor paddler please help.

R4

Post by R4 »

While this thread is alive and kicking again...

Has anyone got a set for a peugeot 106? Save me spending £50 on fleabay

Billy The Fisherman

Post by Billy The Fisherman »

Jon Davies wrote:Anyone got a set on Gutter roof bars? Would be going on a Hiace van so need to be fairly wide.
Can't afford to buy any but if anyone would like to donate them to me please PM. Will be in Nottingham this weekend and otherwis in North wales.

Poor paddler please help.
I have an old pair of standard length Thule bars and feet for car gutter attachment. I'm in NE England; they're yours if you can arrange collection. I'll be in the lakes later this month or could drop off at the Tyne Tour.

kayak1

Vectra Saloon and laguna Hatch Bars for sale £20 each

Post by kayak1 »

For sale Vectra Halfords make, saloon / hatch

Laguna mk1 hatch Renault mak,e £20 each waterman1@tesco.net

South Wales

nichburton

FS: Thule rack for Golf/Bora

Post by nichburton »

Selling my Thule rack with fitting kit for a Golf/Bora, see the Private Sales board.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”