LL Jefe

Inland paddling
Mark R

LL Jefe

Post by Mark R »

I intend to buy a Jefe soon. I tried one briefly in India and it was unexciting but sturdy and predictable.

Anyone want to try and talk me out of this? Anything I should know?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

They're great -- if you can't lay your hands on an M3.
But.......
Your luck is in!
There's an M3 for sale right here:
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... hp?t=14521

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Ooh yes, a second hand creek boat. I'll have me one of those.*

*This is sarcasm.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

Beware, it will make you feel supremely confident on any river and possibly persuade you to do really silly things safe in the knowledge that "it's ok, I'm in a Jefe".

Great boats.

Rob_Roy

Post by Rob_Roy »

To Fandango's defence, that particular 2nd hand creek boat is in great condition. He's selling it because he upgraded to a Burn in the hope that it would stop the regular sessions of breaststroke he keeps having. Sadly it didn't work, so if the guys at pyranha are listening, you need to keep working guys.

As for the Jefe, I've had one for going on a year, and think its great. Only thing that took a bit of getting use to, was predicting when those edges at the back are going to kick in on bigger volume stuff. But that could have just been me. Cracking boat.

David McCraw

Post by David McCraw »

All round-hulled creekboats seem much of a muchness to me - and if you are padding at a level where you can run stuff in one but not another then you don't need my advice anyway!

If the Jefe is good for your weight (apparently it comes in nicely between the two Nomads), then I can't think of a good reason not to.

As for the second hand argument, I got my Salto used in good condition and it has survived well beyond what I had any right to expect. Don't buy a Salto though, they're a bit naff if you're into ratchets and widgets and any other sort of shiny bits, like ten thousand ton attachment points. Besides, there can't be many good condition ones left and I need to replace mine soon ;-)

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas »

Rob_Roy wrote:Cracking boat.
metaphorically speaking, I trust.

Dave Thomas

waverley610

Re: LL Jefe

Post by waverley610 »

Anyone want to try and talk me out of this?
My only negative after using one for a week;
it wasn't easy stuffing a medium drybag behind the seat,
backrest needs to come forward more.

David Fairweather

The trick to loading up the back of a Jefe is to undo the ratchets completely and then lift the backrest up and rest it on the cockpit rim. Then you're free to fill the back of the boat with anything you want, and there's a lot of room in there.

banzer

Post by banzer »

V. nice boat the Jefe. Not swum yet. (Ha! Famous last words.) Accelerates through holes well and pretty agile.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

johnheaton

Post by johnheaton »

Dave Thomas wrote:
Rob_Roy wrote:Cracking boat.
metaphorically speaking, I trust.

Dave Thomas
I've seen a couple spilt under the seat recently and they all seemed to have a problem with the seat cracking.

But then I've seen a boat by just about every manufacturer split in the last year.

You'll get away with murder in it, always nice.
---------------------------------------

morsey

Post by morsey »

What colour are you going to get it in?

siwiles

Jefe - don't do it!!!!

Post by siwiles »

Ok, as long as you are not taking it anywhere near rocks. I have split mine twice. Had for less than a year....

Two of my friends have also broken theirs. I like the boat, but don't trust it for sturdiness on rocky stuff.

I also have major concerns over the seat storage compartments. I had the original one with larger holes. The seat split, from the holes. I then got the replacement one, with smaller compartments. That broke as well.

In all, I liked the way the boat handled (although many didn't), but wouldn't buy another.

I do like rocky runs, but it seemed that this boat lasted less well than many others.

banzer

Re: Jefe - don't do it!!!!

Post by banzer »

siwiles wrote:Two of my friends have also broken theirs. I like the boat, but don't trust it for sturdiness on rocky stuff.

I also have major concerns over the seat storage compartments. I had the original one with larger holes. The seat split, from the holes. I then got the replacement one, with smaller compartments. That broke as well.
Mine's been okay on (lots of) rocks so far but the seat does seem to be the weakest link. Someone tell me if I'm wrong but I find that keeping the underside of it stuffed with throwline / 1st aid kit / emergency gear gives it more support and rigidity, and presumably more resistance to rocks than a 'hollow' bottom...?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

David Fairweather

Of the eight that we had in Kyrgyzstan, one developed a small crack under the seat at the end of the month. I thought that this was pretty good given that they were dragged several miles over rocks by horses, subjected to russian baggage handlers and the a lot of steep and rocky rivers. Tellingly, the one that did crack had also been to india, sweeden and seemingly everywhere in between first. All in all I don't think the plastic is any more of a concern than that of any other manufacturer.

siwiles

Jefe update

Post by siwiles »

My much abused jefe now has and extra three cracks after Brush Brook (much rockiness), bringing me to a proud total of 5 cracks.

So what is the most number of repairs in a boat until you officially retire it??

I will even have to revert to a patched Java for tomorrows creeking...My new Burn is still virgin untouched. ( i need a bigegr deck to fit).

Very suspicious. No one else managed to break their boats today, just me. Javas, CFS, Nomad, M3 all fine, just my poor Jefe....

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

Don't ditch it Simon, it may still have a few years left in it for Cheryl :-)

MrJazz

Re: Jefe - don't do it!!!!

Post by MrJazz »

siwiles wrote:
Same. My second seat just split! I'm considering trading it in for a Burn.

slipperystav

Post by slipperystav »

I know it'll open up a whole can of worms after Corran and the review and all the rest of the post on forums, but I really rate my Mafia.

By far the most responcive and friendyly creeker I have ever been in. If you follow the logic with the flatter front deck and the auto boof function, I love it.

Havn't had a single problem from it but as I havn't been on the wtaer with many other Mafia users, can't say how they compare/reliability etc.

Try one if you can get your hands on one.

Oh, and the deck hatch system, I havn't had a problem, but it will stop you carrying a 3 way split.
Shameless Plug:
Now setting up a Recombinant and Genomics Biotechnology Company. Checkout Recombitex.com for progress and if you want to invest money in new technologies

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

slipperystav wrote:By far the most responsive and friendy creeker I have ever been in.
Not interested in getting back into slagging Mafias at this point, but...aren't 'responsive' and 'friendly' virtually mutually co-exclusive elements in a creek boat?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

slipperystav

Post by slipperystav »

My Topo was very friendly. It let me hit things but never really hurt me. It wasn't the most responcive. I remeber doing a few drops backwards when it didn't want to turn quick enough

My mafia is responsive, and friendly, because it stops me hitting things, then gentle when it does.
Shameless Plug:
Now setting up a Recombinant and Genomics Biotechnology Company. Checkout Recombitex.com for progress and if you want to invest money in new technologies

Phil...

Post by Phil... »

Just to add a voice of balance, the Jefe is the most popular creekboat for some time and so by the law of averages, there will be some crash and burns - I'm on my second boat but had some great customer service and hopefully the early blemishes have been rolled out by now.

morsey

Post by morsey »

Phil... wrote:Just to add a voice of balance, the Jefe is the most popular creekboat for some time
Based on which figures?

James F

Post by James F »

I'm 12 stone and 5' 7" and have just decided to replace my original small Nomad (3 years old - is that possible?) with the bigger version for more comfortable multi-daying.

Westy

Post by Westy »

I'm going to hopefully try a Gus in Austria, and will give my son's Jefe a go, but would be interested in people's views of the differences between the two boats. I currently paddle a Hoss as my river-runner, but wonder whether I would benefit from a Gus or Jefe. My aspiration is to paddle more G4.

David McCraw

Post by David McCraw »

Phil... wrote:Just to add a voice of balance, the Jefe is the most popular creekboat for some time
There are still more Saltos in EUCC than any other creek boat. The Nomad (if you count both sizes) is second. There are no Jefes.

In fact, I've only ever seen one Jefe on the water, so if they are the most popular creeker, where are people paddling with them?

David Fairweather

David McCraw wrote: In fact, I've only ever seen one Jefe on the water, so if they are the most popular creeker, where are people paddling with them?
Wales apparently. There were at least 5 on the Glen yesterday.
Last edited by David Fairweather on Mon May 22, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David McCraw

Post by David McCraw »

Odd. I wonder if there really are statistical differences between areas - I guess word of mouth and seeing boats on the water is locally self reinforcing?

Shandy

Post by Shandy »

David McCraw wrote:
In fact, I've only ever seen one Jefe on the water, so if they are the most popular creeker, where are people paddling with them?
At least 4 in our club, they have over taken the Nomad, they are now down to 3.

Nomad seams more solid in construction, with the whole of the seat and central pillar being bolted together. I could be biased though.

David Fairweather

Apparently none of team Pyranha use Jefes. This proves that the M3 is infact the most popular creek boat. Glad we solved that one.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”