Reproofing Kit

Inland paddling
LondonPaddler1999

Reproofing Kit

Post by LondonPaddler1999 »

HI,

I have had a drysuit and some cags for a while which now need reproofing. What do people tend to use to do this at home?

Also, I have a Palm Impact spray deck that seems to be leaking both sides of my hips. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything I am able to use on it to try to keep as much water out?

Thanks in advance!
Franky

Re: Reproofing Kit

Post by Franky »

LondonPaddler1999 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:34 pm
Also, I have a Palm Impact spray deck that seems to be leaking both sides of my hips. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything I am able to use on it to try to keep as much water out?
I highly recommend Aquasure. It's very easy to apply and works a treat. I've used it on both my dry suit and my spraydeck. Keep it in the freezer - it hardens in the tube if you don't.

Where is the water coming in on your spraydeck? Some water always gets in through the top of the tube when you capsize, but I'm guessing you know that and it's definitely a leak.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

By reproofing, do you mean that the fabric is letting water through? If that's the case I suspect it's not fixable, although you could try a silicone like Fabsil Gold.

I also recommend Aquasure for holes or thin areas in spraydecks, but it's very important to stretch the deck before you apply it. Aquasure is flexible, but doesn't stretch as much as neoprene, as I found out when I applied a band of Aquasure all round the seam between the waist tube and the deck. It didn't leak, but I had to lose weight before I could put it on.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

I have a fairly old and well used dry suit which is a tad porous and probably in need of replacing but suits the light use I give it and I have fixed seams with bits of goretex and Stormsure and generally reproofed the fabric a couple of times using Nickwax active X proofing spray which seems to do the trick.
For Ripped seals I have used stormsure Tuff tape.
Note I don’t roll and if I know I’m going to get wet I wear a wetsuit.
LondonPaddler1999

Franky wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:56 am
LondonPaddler1999 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:34 pm
I highly recommend Aquasure. It's very easy to apply and works a treat. I've used it on both my dry suit and my spraydeck. Keep it in the freezer - it hardens in the tube if you don't.

Where is the water coming in on your spraydeck? Some water always gets in through the top of the tube when you capsize, but I'm guessing you know that and it's definitely a leak.
I notice it when I edge aggressively as opposed to when I capsize. I tightened the seat bolts both sides of the boat and I think it seems to be coming in where there is sewing on the deck but there aren't any visible issues with the deck. I will have to try some aqua sure in both areas and see if it happens again.
LondonPaddler1999

Chris Bolton wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:11 pm
By reproofing, do you mean that the fabric is letting water through? If that's the case I suspect it's not fixable, although you could try a silicone like Fabsil Gold.

I also recommend Aquasure for holes or thin areas in spraydecks, but it's very important to stretch the deck before you apply it. Aquasure is flexible, but doesn't stretch as much as neoprene, as I found out when I applied a band of Aquasure all round the seam between the waist tube and the deck. It didn't leak, but I had to lose weight before I could put it on.
The old cag I have seems to be leave my torso damp which it didn't when I first had it. The inside layer is fine and when looking at the outer layer there doesn't seem to be any tears in it.
LondonPaddler1999

ChrisJK wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:29 pm
I have a fairly old and well used dry suit which is a tad porous and probably in need of replacing but suits the light use I give it and I have fixed seams with bits of goretex and Stormsure and generally reproofed the fabric a couple of times using Nickwax active X proofing spray which seems to do the trick.
For Ripped seals I have used stormsure Tuff tape.
Note I don’t roll and if I know I’m going to get wet I wear a wetsuit.
Thanks will have to take a look!
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

The old cag I have seems to be leave my torso damp which it didn't when I first had it
That doesn't necessarily mean the fabric has failed - if water is getting in anywhere, seams, neck, wrists, etc, your body heat will be evaporating it and distributing it inside the cag. If it hasn't delaminated, I'd assume the fabric is fine and look for leak points.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”