Leaking paddle!

Inland paddling
Franky

Leaking paddle!

Post by Franky »

My carbon VE paddle has started leaking - not severely, but when I shake it, I can hear water swishing around inside it. I think the water is in the blades.

I've had it five-and-a-half years, and the blades have worn away from regular bangs against rock and concrete. I was recently wondering what would happen when the wear reached the cigar-shaped air cores. I guess I now have my answer.

I can hear water in both blades, but I can't locate the leaks - nothing drips out when I shake the paddle. So I guess the holes must be very small. Or possibly the water found its way in from the shaft end.

I'd be interested if anyone else has had this issue and if so whether you tried to fix it, decided to live with it, or bought a new paddle. My paddle has had a lot of use and a fair bit of abuse - I've been very happy with it, and will probably replace it with another VE. I'll try to treat the next one with a bit more TLC.
Chris Bolton

Re: Leaking paddle!

Post by Chris Bolton »

I think what happens is that the air in the paddle is at ambient air temperature, then you put the blade in cold water and it cools, contracts and draws in water through even a tidy hole. When you shake it, the water can't escape through the hole, partly because it's small but mainly as there isn't another hole to let air in. You could try guessing where the hole is, putting the blade with that at the lowest point and heating the blade gently with a hair dryer. Or make two holes, one top and one bottom, and let it drain. Then seal it back up with epoxy.
frazerp

Post by frazerp »

Usually the paddle/shaft joint. Try holding in some clear water, you’ll see air bubbles coming out from where the hole is. Getting the water out is tricky though.

Frazer
Franky

Post by Franky »

Thank you both for the suggestions. Chris's observation that contracting air might be sucking in water is interesting and plausible.

I think it is time to get a new paddle. I've wanted one with less feather anyway, and this one has served me well.
Joseph:)

Post by Joseph:) »

If you leave the paddle somewhere warm for some time then the water should evaporate out, it may take a while but once you have you can seal up the joins with some epoxy.
Franky

Post by Franky »

Joseph:) wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:07 pm
If you leave the paddle somewhere warm for some time then the water should evaporate out, it may take a while but once you have you can seal up the joins with some epoxy.
Thanks Joseph. I might try that... though I wonder if it's worth it, since it would only be a matter of time till a new hole appeared!
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

It might be worth it - the hole in my blades, on which I developed my air temperature theory, turned out to be a manufacturing defect in the middle of the blade, not at the edge.

It's just occurred to me that you can reverse the air temperature behaviour - put the blade in hot water and look for bubbles. If you find any, dry the blade, enlarge the hole, drain/dry the inside and seal it up.
Yew

Post by Yew »

Franky wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:01 am
Joseph:) wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:07 pm
Thanks Joseph. I might try that... though I wonder if it's worth it, since it would only be a matter of time till a new hole appeared!
It's not a whole lot of effort, and it might keep the paddle serviceable as a spare?
Franky

Post by Franky »

Yew wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:11 pm
It's not a whole lot of effort, and it might keep the paddle serviceable as a spare?
Good point. I'll given it a go. Thanks.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”