Anyone paddle a Jackson fun?

Inland paddling
Joshhudson527

Anyone paddle a Jackson fun?

Post by Joshhudson527 »

Hi guys, I’m looking at getting a new boat and have got my eye on a Jackson fun. My only worry is if I’ll fit in the boat, I’m 6ft tall but only weigh 60kg so I can’t go for the larger size. Just wondering If anyone has any experience in fitting in them and can offer some advice. It’s the medium size one and the latest model before they switched to the antix.

Thanks Josh

Jim

Re: Anyone paddle a Jackson fun?

Post by Jim »

Are you wanting to go playboating or river running in it?
I hired a 4Fun (i.e. the big one) to run the Grand Canyon in 2016, and at nearly twice your weight I was struggling to throw it around as much as I wanted, so you can absolutely definitely rule it out if you want to play. I didn't get a chance to test a Fun so can't advise if it has enough space. The way second hand boats are selling just now, buy it, try it and if it doesn't fit sell it on. Chances are by the time you have read this the one you were looking at will have sold.

Joshhudson527

Post by Joshhudson527 »

I was wanting something I could play in but also take down rivers which is why I thought the fun would be ideal. The main reason I’m looking for a new boat is because I struggle to throw my current boat (Pyranha s8) around. From what you’ve said I’m going to have no more luck in the fun than I do in my boat so it’s back to the drawing board 🤔 any suggestions?

Franky

Post by Franky »

I've heard that the Fun is a bit of a disappointment, trying to be all things to all paddlers and not really satisfying anyone.

Don't rule out a playboat for river running. Depending on how advanced a paddler you are, you might not want to run Grade 4 in it, but Grade 2/3- can be a hoot.

If your budget stretches to it, the optimum solution is to keep two boats - a proper playboat for playing in and easier river running, and a more stable boat for harder rivers. There's no boat that does everything well. I have a Jackson Rockstar and a Nirvana, and between them they satisfy most of my kayaking needs. (I also have an old Mamba, but since getting the Nirvana, I rarely use that any more.)

Jim

Post by Jim »

Some boats don't scale that well, the Fun may be more playful than I found the 4Fun. There was a lot to like about the 4fun, I just felt I was missing more wavewheels than I did in my Session+ or an X I hired another time, my biggest issue was that it seemed too stable to work on kickflips, I literally couldn't capsize it fast enough! In fact the only reason I was missing wavewheels was because I wasn't getting on edge consistently, once it was on the edge the ends threw down fine. This might just be a problem with large boats that are wider than the small/regular versions. I remember several people struggling to roll inazone 240s because they were so wide, the 230 was easy to roll though and one of the preferred river running playboats of its era...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”