Kayak type

Inland paddling
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:54 pm

Kayak type

Post by ThomasBrunt »


I'm just starting out with kayaking and am thinking of getting a kayak for going up and down the Thames. I was looking at Cambridge kayaks and I was hoping for some advice please.

They have one called the Herring (https://cambridgekayaks.co.uk/collectio ... -6-colours) which looks easier for me to get down to the river but I'm not sure if I should be going for their touring kayak (https://cambridgekayaks.co.uk/collectio ... 6159964273) instead.

Will I see a noticeable difference between these two?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:22 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Kayak type

Post by charleston14 »

If your gonna cruise up and down I’d advise a touring kayak, like a second hand dagger Charleston, Easkey 15 or a Carolina.

But before you buy anything I’d strongly advise you learn how to paddle, wet exit, and self rescue, ideally, through a Local club

Of the two kayaks you listed the first will probably be a bit slower. It will be wider so may seem more initially stable, but might take more work to turn it as you will have less connectivity than in a closed cockpit. You’d also get paddle drips on you all the time.

Post Reply

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”