Waterproof smartwatches?

Inland paddling
Jakob

Waterproof smartwatches?

Post by Jakob »

Is anybody using a waterproof smartwatch/fitnesstracker while kayaking? I'm looking at buying a garmin but am unsure whether I could wear the forerunner models which are 5atm during kayaking or if I'd need at least 10atm.

Chas C

Re: Waterproof smartwatches?

Post by Chas C »

I use a waterproof Apple Watch 3 to track my blood glucose as I'm kayaking, its pretty neat. I'm not really into the fitness tracking bit....

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey »

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 (also 5 ATM), and swim in it. Sometimes deliberately. No problems so far. The only issue is that when the face is damp, if it touches clothing or whatever, it can go a bit mental as it thinks you're trying to do things. In "swim" mode, the touchscreen is disabled, but I haven't found any way of making this happen in other modes.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

If your watch sees more than 5 atmospheres while you're paddling, breaking the watch will be the least of your problems. One atm is 10m of water. The Garmin specs say 5 atm is OK for anything except SCUBA and high speed watersports - I don't think even being in a stopper will be as severe as falling off a waterski.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

Chas C wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:49 pm
I use a waterproof Apple Watch 3 to track my blood glucose as I'm kayaking, its pretty neat. I'm not really into the fitness tracking bit....
The Apple Watch doesn’t track blood glucose, I assume you have something else connected to it that does ?

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

andynormancx wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:39 am
Chas C wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:49 pm
The Apple Watch doesn’t track blood glucose, I assume you have something else connected to it that does ?
Your being a little finicky - so technically my blood glucose is tracked by a Dexcom G6 inserted in my arm, that then sends BG data to my water proof iPhone in my BA pocket, that sends the BG to my watch on my wrist so my BG is always in view :-)

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

I’ve been using a garmin fenix 3 for years with my own kayaking app on it. Page 1 of my app shows time of day, distance travelled and time elapsed. Page 2 shows speed in knots, speed in kph and average speed, page 3 shows my position in long and latt (I’m a sea kayaker) page 4 shows my position as a six figure grid ref and page 5 is a digital compass.
The fenix 3 is an old model before the latest touch screen versions came out so it’s all operated by button presses. Perfect for on the wrist operating and reading with no worries about spurious operation with wet fingers. I’ve use it on and under the water, linking it by Bluetooth to my garmin account and strava records all my journeys for future reference.

Strad

Post by Strad »

Fitbit Ionic - works okay. Linked to endomondo account via the phone, but happily stores a day's data. Tracks GPS,heart rate, but I don't have anything as hand sounding as Seawolf's home made app.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Jim

Post by Jim »

Dunno, I won't/can't wear a watch when paddling, but most of the WWR group I train with use some kind of Garmin smartwatch to track their training. Most of them are doing 2 sessions on the water most days now (except rest days and gym days) and I haven't heard of any problems with them letting water in.

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain »

Samsung Galaxy Active. It's alright. I could live without it.

Prefer using my phone in a Lifeproof case with Strava. I'd be taking my phone on the river anyway. Although it won't measure heart rate.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”