Help choosing playboat for big guy

Inland paddling
SHGB

Help choosing playboat for big guy

Post by SHGB » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:51 am

I’m 5’11, 107kg (236lb). Want my first playboat - probs more for surfing (river) but I’d like to have a crack at getting it on end and air time.
I’m looking locally at a second hand large pyranha Molan which I’ve tried on grade 2 and is OK but have to lean back a bit or the bow pearls even on the flat (putting the seat back helped but but with no experience don’t know if my weight is the problem or skill or both!) a 2013 Jackson superstar which I haven’t tried yet, or perhaps a new project x 64 as at £550 it’s not so much more cash, but that’s stretching my budget.
Any thoughts from people who’ve paddled these boats? Molan and superstar are both rated for 230lb so I’m a touch heavy and the project X rated to 250lb

Mark Mulrain

Re: Help choosing playboat for big guy

Post by Mark Mulrain » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:38 pm

I wouldn't touch the Molan. It's awful.
The Pyranha Jed is a much better design. It was designed by the same guy that did the Project X, so you can kind of consider it as the evolution of the Project X.

The usual 'demo, demo, demo' applies as always.

Rae1

Post by Rae1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:56 am

The Project X 64 is the biggest playboat I've tried. It had more room inside it than my river runner.
https://www.wavesport.com/en/products/p ... 4-blackout

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:11 am

If you are buying a boat for surfing, even river surfing, you don't really want a playboat as they won't be fast enough for most green waves. Something more like the Pyranha Loki might be suitable, but you will be on the top limit of the large so you will need to try it for size first. Or maybe even the Ripper, great for surfing and the stern is small enough for enders. Plenty of volume at the front for old school popouts too if that's what you want, but it's not a playboat so it will restrict the moves you can do in holes.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”