Usk - SennyBridge to Brecon

Inland paddling
pinkimark

Usk - SennyBridge to Brecon

Post by pinkimark » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:39 am

Hi,

I'm been looking at the above river for a potential trip but have seen reports of a damaged bridge that was supposed to be repaired and some dangerous fishing boards in the river bed?

Does anyone have any up to date information on this section please?

Thanks

Mark

TM.

Re: Usk - SennyBridge to Brecon

Post by TM. » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:49 am

Both Cardiff Canoe Club and North Avon Canoe Club ran this section last weekend. I haven’t heard of any difficulties...

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Ran it Saturday. The fishing boards are permanent but easily avoided.
The bridge was badly damaged last winter and is being fixed. I guess it could fall down on you the moment you pass under it, but looks solid enough.
Jason

pinkimark

Post by pinkimark » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:50 pm

Thanks people's, exceptionally helpful

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:13 am

If you want to avoid the long flat bit in to Brecon you can get out at the farm at Aberbran bridge. You can park at the farm for a reasonable fee and there are toilets and other facilities you can use.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:07 am

I have often challenged the idea that there is a 'long flat bit' between Aberbran and Brecon so, last Saturday, I monitored it. Levels were low medium and, after Aberbran there was constant fast flowing water interspersed with simple grade 2 rapids to within 5 minutes of Brecon when the weir holds the water back. This whole section takes about an hour.

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm

At lower levels there are more surf waves Aberbran to Brecon than Sennibridge to Aberbran, in my opinion.
Both sections go well together. Aberbran down is a great intro to white water.
Jason

G7AFM

Post by G7AFM » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:26 pm

🚧 ACCESS UPDATE: River Usk, Sennybridge to Aberbran 🚧
The Wye and Usk Foundation has asked us to remind members that Abercamlais bridge is still in a dangerous condition. The owner has asked that no one paddle this section until the work to stabilise the bridge has been carried out. Unfortunately, the repair work has been delayed due to adverse weather conditions. For your own safety and to help protect future access to this waterway, please do not use this access point or paddle this section until repair work has been completed. Thank you for your co-operation 🤝

https://www.facebook.com/CanoeWales/?__ ... tion=group

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:48 pm

The repair work has taken over a year to even get started so I don't think they can blame the weather for that. The owners have an obligation to ensure that their bridge is made safe for people passing under it and they should get on and do this.

We paddled under it in October this year having previously paddled under it in October last year.

The photo in that link is from before the bridge was damaged; just in case you thought they had actually done some work on it

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Sorry, am I being dull? Is CW asking us to not paddle this section?
If I have a legal right to navigate all year round, which is CW policy, and a land owner's bridge falls on me, then surely the land owner is liable?
If the owner takes 10 years to fix the bridge then this section is closed for 10 years?
It would be nice for CW to respond.
Jason

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”