Organising trips for friends

Inland paddling
Post Reply
gp.girl
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: Crawley Down, West Sussex
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Organising trips for friends

Post by gp.girl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:52 pm

If you organize a weekend trip for a group of mates outside of a club what are your liabilities as an individual off the water?

On the water the group doesn't have people capable of leading others although some could look after themselves so we'd use a professional coach.

No luck on contact on BC website but if you have one :) :) :)
I can roll :)

jmmoxon
Posts: 5795
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:12 pm
Location: Sometimes Sunny Somerset
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 40 times
Contact:

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:04 am

Main liability is someone not turning up & you being stuck with covering the cost of their place...

Legally, it's a normal duty of care, but that applies to everyone.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

User avatar
Chalky723
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:56 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by Chalky723 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:22 am

gp.girl wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:52 pm
If you organize a weekend trip for a group of mates outside of a club what are your liabilities as an individual off the water?
Pretty much the same as if you invite them to your birthday party,out for a meal or arrange a trip to the zoo......

The BC website is unlikely to have any details about Bunkhouse Etiquette.....

D
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

P00nslayer
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by P00nslayer » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:20 am

to be honest, would you really want to paddle with them if they aren't all a liability with balls bigger than their brains?!

I wouldn't worry about it though. Most experiences paddler over 18 is responsible for any accidents on the river (i think) and other than that if you trash the bunkhouse expect to pay for it. Have fun!

User avatar
Adrian Cooper
Posts: 9733
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:26 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:31 pm

P00nslayer wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:20 am
Most experiences paddler over 18 is responsible for any accidents on the river (i think)
I can think of a variety of scenarios where this would not be the case

P00nslayer
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by P00nslayer » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:31 pm
P00nslayer wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:20 am
Most experiences paddler over 18 is responsible for any accidents on the river (i think)
I can think of a variety of scenarios where this would not be the case
give us some examples then :)

User avatar
Chalky723
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:56 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by Chalky723 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:11 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:31 pm
P00nslayer wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:20 am
Most experiences paddler over 18 is responsible for any accidents on the river (i think)
I can think of a variety of scenarios where this would not be the case
She specifically said it's not for on the river, they have a coach as "Grown Up".

I took it to mean for the rest of the trip (bunkhouse, pub, restaurant etc.) In which case, unless someone has specifically agreed to act as the responsible adult for someone else on the trip, there are no "liabilities" - anyone under age/requiring care should have a parent/carer/responsible adult...

D
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

P00nslayer
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by P00nslayer » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:43 pm

Chalky723 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:11 pm
Adrian Cooper wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:31 pm
P00nslayer wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:20 am
Most experiences paddler over 18 is responsible for any accidents on the river (i think)
I can think of a variety of scenarios where this would not be the case
She specifically said it's not for on the river, they have a coach as "Grown Up".

I took it to mean for the rest of the trip (bunkhouse, pub, restaurant etc.) In which case, unless someone has specifically agreed to act as the responsible adult for someone else on the trip, there are no "liabilities" - anyone under age/requiring care should have a parent/carer/responsible adult...

D
Yeah I know. I read she said not for the river as they have a coach but I thought I’d offer that info for future trips :). Are there any scenarios that that’s not the case?

gp.girl
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: Crawley Down, West Sussex
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by gp.girl » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 pm

P00nslayer wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:43 pm
Chalky723 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:11 pm
Adrian Cooper wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:31 pm


I can think of a variety of scenarios where this would not be the case
She specifically said it's not for on the river, they have a coach as "Grown Up".

I took it to mean for the rest of the trip (bunkhouse, pub, restaurant etc.) In which case, unless someone has specifically agreed to act as the responsible adult for someone else on the trip, there are no "liabilities" - anyone under age/requiring care should have a parent/carer/responsible adult...

D
Yeah I know. I read she said not for the river as they have a coach but I thought I’d offer that info for future trips :). Are there any scenarios that that’s not the case?
No under 18s unless parent present or probably not at all.

This ones a total kettle of worms! I always remember the trip where the person with the most bits of paper (L1 coach/3*) was 'in charge' of Town Falls on the Dee. Although he was paddling round as not feeling it. It might have been the ex grade 4 alpine paddler or possibly the best paddler in the group who had the attention span of a startled flea unless there was a playwave or a rock you could seal launch from! We'll have fun sorting out the difference between paper, experience and ability when it comes to it. I'd say it's totally normal for me to be on river with someone with less experience but more ability.
I can roll :)

User avatar
Chalky723
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:56 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by Chalky723 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Sorry,

You're confusing me now - what is your question? I read it that you were talking about "off water" given that you've got a coach for on the water.....

Can you clarify?/

Cheers,

D
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

gp.girl
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: Crawley Down, West Sussex
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by gp.girl » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Chalky723 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:47 pm
Sorry,

You're confusing me now - what is your question? I read it that you were talking about "off water" given that you've got a coach for on the water.....

Can you clarify?/

Cheers,

D
Just the off the water bit which seems to be fine. There has been a difference of opinion so just making certain.
I can roll :)

User avatar
Chalky723
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:56 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by Chalky723 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:55 pm

To be honest, if you've got grown ups quibbling about "liability" off water, they might be the sort of people you'd avoid going with in the future........ ;-)

D
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

User avatar
Poke
Posts: 4864
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:35 pm
Location: Wigan
Been thanked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: Organising trips for friends

Post by Poke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:22 pm

Chalky723 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:55 pm
To be honest, if you've got grown ups quibbling about "liability" off water, they might be the sort of people you'd avoid going with in the future........ ;-)
100% this! haha.

What kind of off-river scenarios are your friends worried about liabilities for?
Paddling among friends it is not even something that has crossed my mind!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Post Reply

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”