The Upper Thames in October - Cricklade to Lechlade

Inland paddling
chriscw

The Upper Thames in October - Cricklade to Lechlade

Post by chriscw » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:29 pm

I understand that the top section of the Thames from Cricklade to Lechlade can get a bit overgrown during the summer. Is it likely to be passable in late October this year? I ask because we arte planning a club weekend on the upper Thames and trying to decide which stretches to paddle.

Any advice or feedback from previous years at the end of October would be most helpfull.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

chriscw

Re: The Upper Thames in October - Cricklade to Lechlade

Post by chriscw » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:15 pm

Any other forums where I may be ale to ask this question?
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 pm

Song of the paddle a canoe focused forum. Having said that you should be ok. Kelmscot. Radcot. Buscot are all good.Mark Rainsleys paddle the Thames is worth getting.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am

Anywhere downstream of Lechlade is always OK, it is managed thus. Above Lechlade you have info on SOTP. I haven't done this stretch for a couple of years, there were three trees down, all of which could be got round or through. Please be wary of the water level in October, it can be unpredictable, inexperienced paddlers may have difficulty with the woodwork if the river is flowing fast. Summer levels shouldn't give you any difficulties.

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:20 pm

A couple of friends of mine did this stretch in kayaks a couple of weeks ago. Apart from the usual trees across the river it was okay. They reported no new obstructions. If you have time chain saws or at least hand saws would be useful!!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks for that maybe we will take a bush saw or two and do our bit towards clearing some of those. Perhaps if the levels are higher we will do stretches further down. At least with the feedback here and on SOTP I have a bit of an update it is several years since I last organised a trip there.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Mrstratos61 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 pm
Song of the paddle a canoe focused forum. Having said that you should be ok. Kelmscot. Radcot. Buscot are all good.Mark Rainsleys paddle the Thames is worth getting.
Thanks I'll get that the Thames guide I have gives little away when it comes to access and egress points.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 am

Has anyone paddled the top section rom Cricklade to Lechlade this year? If so how did you find it.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks for all the help day with a few portages but mostly able to scramble past blockages. I opted out but did the next section down the following day.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”